In the shed this weekend.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funnily enough one of those cafes has just started up here, and I have only just this morning volunteered to help out.  Weird how things coincide like that. 

On 9/1/2023 at 6:15 PM, RogerH said:

Hi Pete,

when doing your straight knurdles - is the lathe running or do you turn  the chuck by hand (360' and then back again)?

Roger

Roger,

Do you hand crank the spindle of your lathe for slow speed work like tapping or knurling?

Have you a hand crank?

is it like this ?

https://www.instructables.com/A-Quick-release-Spindle-Crank-for-the-Mini-Lathe/

Brother has now fitted the rear apron to his TR2 and found a misalignment of the tubes that the overider fixings pass through when looking at the chassis holes.    It needs a couple of wedge shaped washers to tilt them away from the tube walls when fixed in the chassis holes and tightened

Solution was simple wedges.    I have made some more wedges at 7 degrees slope each and some domed washers to fit to the chassis.  Idea stolen from Triumph manifold clamps on GT6 mk1.   I used 304 stainless x 22 mm diameter and domed to 20 mm radius.

The flat on the side of the wedge washer is to identify the thickest part when installing.   Domes self align of course.

Kept me busy for the afternoon 

PS the parallel bar clamped across the mill table is just that, it is parallel to the Y axis so I could set the milling vice jaws at 7 degrees to it using a protractor 

IMG_5577.jpeg

IMG_5573.jpeg

IMG_5574.jpeg

IMG_5575.jpeg

IMG_5576.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
7 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Excellent work, as ever.

Bob

Proof of the pudding will be when he tries them in the body shell with the overider mounting brackets

19 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Proof of the pudding will be when he tries them in the body shell with the overider mounting brackets

They are quite often out of line slightly, Easiest solution is a big drill straight down through ;):lol:

Stuart.

9 minutes ago, stuart said:

They are quite often out of line slightly, Easiest solution is a big drill straight down through ;):lol:

Stuart.

He tells me it’s the brackets on the chassis that are set at the wrong angle.   Rear end shunt?

26 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

He tells me it’s the brackets on the chassis that are set at the wrong angle.   Rear end shunt?

Or a bad replacement rear end of chassis?

Stuart.

Hi,

recently me and my wife had to stop at a heap of trash next to the street, ready to go to the waste ground the next day.

We picked up a lovely garden desk (needed wood oil), a 5 l pharmacy glass bottle (easy to clean)

and a "Gründerzeit" chair with LOVELY and not damaged "Wiener Geflecht"!

ABLVV86dBnhTs5AJpKmyTSS8xOgMO6kV0ZuPi2iJ

Sadly the chair was broken and the two bars connecting the rear and front legs have been missing.

My wife pushed me to deal with the chair by telling me "you could do something different from spending most time on that @&%$/!!@ car!"

And "Imagine it has a wheel on each side - what a joy you will have with the repair".

Ok, experienced husband: oak board I had in my wood storage, wooden dowels 12 mm too, drilling mashine, saws, glue, sand paper, wood oil....

ABLVV86MiLyHahR5WJfojkLoDHOAiDE5AtaEVXGm

Ready!

Another lovely chair (we don't really need). And indeed - with the TR I already had less enjoyable moments.

Wife happy --> me happy too --> what more can you desire?

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

It's not often you get a piece of Wiener Geflecht in such good condition.

Usually the grand children have picked it all apart to see how it is made.

(Well, I know I used to do such things when I was a kid.)

8 hours ago, Z320 said:

Another lovely chair (we don't really need). And indeed - with the TR I already had less enjoyable moments.

Ciao, Marco

Great job Marco -  ‘Happy Wife, Happy Life!’  :) 

……… Andy 

11 hours ago, Z320 said:

Hi,

recently me and my wife had to stop at a heap of trash next to the street, ready to go to the waste ground the next day.

We picked up a lovely garden desk (needed wood oil), a 5 l pharmacy glass bottle (easy to clean)

and a "Gründerzeit" chair with LOVELY and not damaged "Wiener Geflecht"!

ABLVV86dBnhTs5AJpKmyTSS8xOgMO6kV0ZuPi2iJ

Sadly the chair was broken and the two bars connecting the rear and front legs have been missing.

My wife pushed me to deal with the chair by telling me "you could do something different from spending most time on that @&%$/!!@ car!"

And "Imagine it has a wheel on each side - what a joy you will have with the repair".

Ok, experienced husband: oak board I had in my wood storage, wooden dowels 12 mm too, drilling mashine, saws, glue, sand paper, wood oil....

ABLVV86MiLyHahR5WJfojkLoDHOAiDE5AtaEVXGm

Ready!

Ciao, Marco

Beautiful Chair and I’m sure the good lady is very pleased may I also say a fantastic repair,Well Done Marco.

• 2 months later...

Sealing front and rear of crank case

involving shim steel sheet, odd shaped punch, bits of cork and felt, tube of Well-Seal.

IMG_5712.jpeg

IMG_5711.jpeg

IMG_5705.jpeg

IMG_5706.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
15 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Sealing front and rear of crank case

involving shim steel sheet, odd shaped punch, bits of cork and felt, tube of Well-Seal.

IMG_5712.jpeg

IMG_5711.jpeg

IMG_5705.jpeg

IMG_5706.jpeg

Lovely messy job, we always used reckon if someone opened a tin of Wellseal at the other end of the workshop then we would all have it on our hands!

Stuart.

My brother has kindly welded up the loose shaft and timing weight plate in a DM2 distributor.  It was loose and moving axially plus radially by about 15 degrees.   New ones are around but the welding is a nice workshop solution.   Originals are crimped together.  If this fails it is off to DD.

Next job is machine the excess weld off to get the weights to fit ok.    That’ll fix the points and timing scatter the old distributor had….that being the best part of 15 degrees of slop.   Made timing the engine as good as impossible as the advance and retard randomly changed when driving.     The engine would start and run but pink like fury under load or pop and bang on overrun    

IMG_2831.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
17 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

My brother has kindly welded up the loose shaft and timing weight plate in a DM2 distributor.  It was loose and moving axially plus radially by about 15 degrees.   New ones are around but the welding is a nice workshop solution.   Originals are crimped together.  If this fails it is off to DD.

Next job is machine the excess weld off to get the weights to fit ok.    That’ll fix the points and timing scatter the old distributor had….that being the best part of 15 degrees of slop.   Made timing the engine as good as impossible as the advance and retard randomly changed when driving.     The engine would start and run but pink like fury under load or pop and bang on overrun    

IMG_2831.jpeg

Dont forget to balance it whilst smoothing off the weld Peter.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Dont forget to balance it whilst smoothing off the weld Peter.

Stuart.

It will be reshaped on the lathe.  Balancing after that will be minimal or even unnecessary 

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT