In the shed this weekend.

5 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

I got the last message off as soon as I saw what you had put, hoping to reach you before you did it.

I shall now eleborate a bit more.

I once tried a PWM controller on an AC motor and it did not work properly. The speed of the sort of AC motor you probably have is controlled, as Bob said, by the frequency of the AC.

I did get some speed change with the AC motor but there was no power with it and the motor stalled easily (and got hot.)

Thank you for that.   I shall not attempt it,  I did worry that the starting current might exceed the controller’s power rating.   It is Chinese  made, so what is described on the data plate could be fiction.  I will keep it for lowering the temperature of our wok and my soldering iron when it is used to solder white metal models.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
  • Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The simple SCR controller works by cutting off the waveform either partway through the cycle or in bursts of cycles.  That is fine for heating elements but ordinary  induction motors don't like it much.   The speed of an induction motor does not depend so much on the voltage of the supply but rather on the supply frequency and on the number of poles in the motor.  It wants to rotate in step with the supply frequency - known as synchronous running. 

Although the mean voltage is reduced by this controller, so is the power so that even if it runs, the motor torque is low and speed will depend on the motor load.   When speed is reduced this way the 'slip' (the difference between actual motor speed and synchronous speed)  is large, and so current draw will be high - hence the overheating.

The right way to do it, as Bob says, is with a variable- frequency inverter drive which will not reduce the motor torque.

Edited by RobH
55 minutes ago, RobH said:

The simple SCR controller works by cutting off the waveform either partway through the cycle or in bursts of cycles.  That is fine for heating elements but ordinary  induction motors don't like it much.   The speed of an induction motor does not depend so much on the voltage of the supply but rather on the supply frequency and on the number of poles in the motor.  It wants to rotate in step with the supply frequency - known as synchronous running. 

Although the mean voltage is reduced by this controller, so is the power so that even if it runs, the motor torque is low and speed will depend on the motor load.   When speed is reduced this way the 'slip' (the difference between actual motor speed and synchronous speed)  is large, and so current draw will be high - hence the overheating.

The right way to do it, as Bob says, is with a variable- frequency inverter drive which will not reduce the motor torque.

Thank you

my research has found this article   I am able to read it…..

https://lancesworkbench.conryclan.com/2021/04/adding-variable-speed-control-to-my-lathe/

I have seen adverts from Newton Tesla for kits to convert the lathe/mill etc.    https://www.newton-tesla.co.uk/product-category/lathe-speed-controls/inverter-motor-packages/

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
25 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

my research has found this article

Yes - that is more on less what I have on my lathe.  Easy to swap the motor for a 3-phase one if it is separate, as it is on my ancient flat-bed Drummond.  If the motor is built-in and single-phase you would have to use a compatible single-phase output inverter like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202961268563?hash=item2f416f2f53:g:bgEAAOSwB1Nfzu4R&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0FrIQUaQOU2%2FW0qCFxInxtATf5X3KtvVEl3FGOXX3zCPqWKCkECM4jd%2FsrNbhuB0p7RP2IUqamDllb7bAnLSblZGzCMl%2BTNulvKdsdYTK2J9L3ZgRPK05%2BKLmPRA%2BA%2BNiXM4ab2vvUHdfBVzTCSRU35jPiMYREAYJtNNb8yeiVgtLz%2FBx%2BLmYBiNKzHYUVoI8ypwO8scja7OsUpHxPvASpiNYmcbJUA%2B6sGuNSSVkZitcMQnJnl67o9I3ZGyARLKvbK4o%2BNxnCn4eKEmZ%2B2SFpw%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4SE6O_jYg

If you are looking at inverters don't confuse the input description (single phase ) and the output (single-phase or 3 -phase to match the motor). Sometimes the sellers descriptions are a bit confusing.  Oddly, single-phase to 3-phase ones seem to be cheaper. 

Edited by RobH

The Newton-Tesla kits are good but a bit expensive. I bought an inverter and a new 1/2HP 3-phase motor for under £200 total, though of course I had to make up my own control box and wire the system.   

2 hours ago, RobH said:

Yes - that is more on less what I have on my lathe.  Easy to swap the motor for a 3-phase one if it is separate, as it is on my ancient flat-bed Drummond.  If the motor is built-in and single-phase you would have to use a compatible single-phase output inverter like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202961268563?hash=item2f416f2f53:g:bgEAAOSwB1Nfzu4R&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0FrIQUaQOU2%2FW0qCFxInxtATf5X3KtvVEl3FGOXX3zCPqWKCkECM4jd%2FsrNbhuB0p7RP2IUqamDllb7bAnLSblZGzCMl%2BTNulvKdsdYTK2J9L3ZgRPK05%2BKLmPRA%2BA%2BNiXM4ab2vvUHdfBVzTCSRU35jPiMYREAYJtNNb8yeiVgtLz%2FBx%2BLmYBiNKzHYUVoI8ypwO8scja7OsUpHxPvASpiNYmcbJUA%2B6sGuNSSVkZitcMQnJnl67o9I3ZGyARLKvbK4o%2BNxnCn4eKEmZ%2B2SFpw%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4SE6O_jYg

If you are looking at inverters don't confuse the input description (single phase ) and the output (single-phase or 3 -phase to match the motor). Sometimes the sellers descriptions are a bit confusing.  Oddly, single-phase to 3-phase ones seem to be cheaper. 

Which Drummond?

We grew up with our father’s  flat belt driven one that also had provision for treadle drive    

image.thumb.jpeg.e2ae5f1f40e2f1470fd594f7f5e5b8e8.jpeg

My brother has now sold that and got a v belt drive one which must be 50 years newer.  

http://www.lathes.co.uk/drummond/index.html

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Yep that's the one - Drummond M,  though mine is slightly later than that one I think, 1934,  so has some minor 'refinements'  ( plus some alterations over the last 89 years).  That was the basis for the later Myford 7 I understand, and some of the Myford bits fit, though sadly not the leadscrew which on mine is now very worn.  I think mine has an early Myford cross-slide. 

Edited by RobH
  • 2 weeks later...

This weeks game.  To recreate the mad Marx real oil seal housing from the drawings Lebro posted.

Started with an 1” of cds tube. From M Machine Metals  http://www.m-machine-metals.co.uk/   The carriage equalled the metal cost.

light internal skim to get a register.   Face ends.   Mount on my good 3 jaw chuck that is within a couple of thou concentric.

Bore to a accept the alloy seal housing.

Drill and tap some 5/16” square bar to M6

Get brother to weld the square bits to the periphery in the right locations.
Face and test concentricity.

Turn the seal housing to drawing.

Relieve the oil spill hole to 5 mm with mill bit 8 mm deep.

Deburr and away we go.

IMG_5284.jpeg

IMG_5285.jpeg

IMG_5286.jpeg

IMG_5287.jpeg

IMG_5288.jpeg

IMG_5298.jpeg

IMG_5299.jpeg

IMG_5300.jpeg

IMG_5301.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
7 minutes ago, RogerH said:

This weeks game.  To recreate the mad Marx real oil seal housing from the drawings Lebro posted.

Started with an 1” of cds tube. From M Machine Metals http://www.m-machine-metals.co.uk/

Hi Pete,

what was the 1" tube used for ???

Roger

An inch length of 115mm od  x 95 mm id.  Stupid boy.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
10 hours ago, Lebro said:

1683130711_Holdinghalvesofoilsealtogether.thumb.jpg.b1551c4e89536d5f26724207caf7573d.jpg252899720_Mountedinchuck.thumb.jpg.229f808fe75f1fd8615e525671e27810.jpg957338501_Centeringup.thumb.jpg.c1d2dc5c9eded94f7e26955d1598507f.jpg1403052397_Oilsealhousingmachined.thumb.jpg.acdca64cc0b525ab865e354ea4b4337d.jpg1640857905_Testfitofseal.thumb.jpg.d3732959fe483863846913c26d4bb9f0.jpg717453445_Enlargedholerelievedseal.thumb.jpg.f03cba71036da220bc0dc619cb6f15d4.jpg Click on to enlarge.  Found these photos just now on how I machined the scroll seal housing

Bob

I have 4 jaw chuck envy.

Mine is a 3” Burnard  item    

2 hours ago, Z320 said:

+1

you found a suitable lip seal and cut it with a sharp knife yourself?

Ciao, Marco 

It is an available spare part from Bastuck   We can buy in UK from TR shop.   

IMG_1980.jpeg

2 hours ago, Lebro said:

Yes, I had forgotten that I had used the hose clip to clamp it together, & that I had used my 4 jaw chuck.

Bob

I tried that but my dinky little 4 jaw would not go big enough safely.  I tried the hose clamp around the housing trick you used and attempted to grip it internally on fibre pads.   That way the boring tool struck the tip of the inner unused jaws step.

Have subsequently found my brother has a 6” 4 jaw for his Drummond Myford    Now, All I would need to do to use it is make a nose spindle adapter plate to fit that chuck with the Boxford 1 1/2” diameter thread.      Challenge with  big 4 jaw or any large chuck is the clearance over the bed when the jaws are opened out.   The Boxford having only 4 1/2” bed clearance ( 9” swing) at the headstock is an issue, it is course even less over the cross slide..    Not so on the Drummond Myford with its gap bed.   You can get a flock of sheep under the chuck at the headstock on that, even though the bed clearance is 3 1/2”  over the ways.   

• 2 weeks later...

Brother came over today and we set about making overider stays for the front of a TR3A in stainless steel.   The stainless steel tube per metre cost more than a pair of finished chrome stays….

We  managed to flatten one tube incorrectly, but that is all part of getting near lunch.

Here we go.   
We need to get the bolts sorted and do some minor blacksmith type hammer work to get the things to fit.    Polishing will be after the welding.

Certainly still cheaper than re chroming an original pair.

First pic is the desired item.

IMG_5318.jpeg

IMG_5319.jpeg

IMG_5320.jpeg

IMG_5322.jpeg

IMG_5323.jpeg

IMG_5324.jpeg

IMG_5325.jpeg

IMG_5327.jpeg

IMG_5328.jpeg

IMG_5329.jpeg

IMG_5330.jpeg