New 1962, whoops, 1960 TR3 A Owner

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plus 1 on David Tushingham Cheftush. nice guy who's has done some restorations of seriously decayed TR's. In Ontario and knows a lot about the cars, can put you onto "Yank" terminology and also s

David, if you have registered and can log on to the members only part of the site you can access workshop manuals etc from there and should be able to find a wiring diagram. The horn button simply ear

Hi David, Nice car, pretty sure that there must be more TR owners in your area. Enjoy the TR! Yves

Posted Images

2 hours ago, David Owen said:

Question: Does anyone have any tricks to stop the fuel tank vent pipe from rattling?

I think I have figured it out but wouldn't mind some input before I do an amateur job on it.

There should be a grommet where it goes down through the floor and then a clip bolted to the side of the chassis, This is often missing or there is no rubber around the pipe where it goes through the clip.

Stuart.

29 minutes ago, stuart said:

There should be a grommet where it goes down through the floor and then a clip bolted to the side of the chassis, This is often missing or there is no rubber around the pipe where it goes through the clip.

Stuart.

Thank you Stuart. 

15 hours ago, David Owen said:

My pre 60000 RH Door mechanism has a plate installed to prevent wear on the door itself.

728368119_LHDMech.jpg.57359b75a447b1520d6a3fc8b2eff12d.jpg

My post 60000 LH Door mechanism does not.  Is it supposed to? 

274842226_RHDMech.jpg.3a6cc4485e6c3a17b0535b6912cdbbab.jpg

Don`t think so David, but they do get bent at this point. I have found that for some reason everyone who has tried to open one of the doors on my car lifts the handle instead of pushing down. It must be something to do with the handles being so low down, or pointing backwards. Did think about putting the handles on pointing forwards as the lifting action seems more acceptable with being so low, but the base plates are angled so wouldn`t work.

Ralph

3 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Don`t think so David, but they do get bent at this point. I have found that for some reason everyone who has tried to open one of the doors on my car lifts the handle instead of pushing down. It must be something to do with the handles being so low down, or pointing backwards. Did think about putting the handles on pointing forwards as the lifting action seems more acceptable with being so low, but the base plates are angled so wouldn`t work.

Ralph

A plate there would be a good way to adjust the angle of the way the door handle sits.

The lever keeps slipping off the square post and I cannot see how it is supposed to be secured?

3 minutes ago, David Owen said:

A plate there would be a good way to adjust the angle of the way the door handle sits.

The lever keeps slipping off the square post and I cannot see how it is supposed to be secured?

I think the door panel is supposed to keep it in place, but drilling and tapping the end of the shaft for a small screw and washer might be a better bet.

Ralph

13 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I think the door panel is supposed to keep it in place, but drilling and tapping the end of the shaft for a small screw and washer might be a better bet.

Ralph

Thank you.  The other one appears solid.  It may be just a wear issue.

1 hour ago, David Owen said:

There should be a large star clip that goes over the square shaft and holds it in.

Stuart.

If anyone is looking for anything I am not far from here and it would be a good excuse for a drive.  I can take a look.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/brantford/triumph-tr3/1572766089?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=whatsapp

Edited by David Owen

Looking good David. What is the extra gauge on the left?

Ralph

Hello David,

The bloke on the right is Engelbert Humperdinck. (Or maybe a young Tom Jones.)

The bloke on the left is a total disgrace!

Standing there, for an official photograph, with his hands in his pockets and an expression on his face that says:
“I’d rather be down the pub than standing here having my picture taken.”

Charlie.

22 minutes ago, David Owen said:

This is about as random as it gets but this was in a package I received last week.  Anybody know anyone?

MG.JPG.a3bbf03437c5b33d4ead0b18928f5c61.JPG

Looks like EX181 the roaring raindrop. 

18 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

Hello David,

The bloke on the right is Engelbert Humperdinck. (Or maybe a young Tom Jones.)

The bloke on the left is a total disgrace!

Standing there, for an official photograph, with his hands in his pockets and an expression on his face that says:
“I’d rather be down the pub than standing here having my picture taken.”

Charlie.

Or he's embarrassed to be photographed with an MG?

My MG aficionados suggest it’s the great and good from Marcham Road.   No names yet though.

Peter W

update from those who know.

the white haired man 3rd from left is Don Hayter often considered the 'father' of the MGB who died last year at the ripe old age of 94. EX 181 as far as I know it originally had a 1489cc Twin cam engine and was driven by Stirling Moss up to 245 mph on the Bonneville flats. In 1959 the engine was increased to 1506cc and driven by Phil Hill to 254mph. That's still the fasted speed ever achieved by any MG.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
15 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

My MG aficionados suggest it’s the great and good from Marcham Road.   No names yet though.

Peter W

update from those who know.

the white haired man 3rd from left is Don Hayter often considered the 'father' of the MGB who died last year at the ripe old age of 94. EX 181 as far as I know it originally had a 1489cc Twin cam engine and was driven by Stirling Moss up to 245 mph on the Bonneville flats. In 1959 the engine was increased to 1506cc and driven by Phil Hill to 254mph. That's still the fasted speed ever achieved by any MG.

2 hours ago, MilesA said:

I think this car is displayed at Gaydon for those attending on Sunday...

Miles

Thanks.  Interesting bit of history.

21 hours ago, David Owen said:

Is there such a thing, outside of e-bay as a parts market?

Hemmings?     https://www.hemmings.com/parts/search?view_type=online&q=&category_id=&sub_category_id=&makeFacet=Triumph&modelFacet=

craigs lists.  https://sacramento.craigslist.org/

Yes I know they are USA based.

Peter W