Everco heater valve

On 1/19/2023 at 5:43 PM, Ralph Whitaker said:

If you get stuck I now have a spare elbow, I recently changed my heater valve to the TX1 that fits in the pipeline. I also bought from  T7  the correct 16mm pipe with a 90 degree bend and used a straight adapter in the cylinder head. Incidentally my 45/135 adapter unscrewed with only the rocker box removed, I did not have to mess with the head nut.

Ralph

Hi Ralph, I’d not heard of T7 but after a web search assume you meant Here  Nice to know about your elbow unscrewing without interference hitting the head stud nut.

Paul

17 hours ago, PaulAnderson said:

Hi Ralph, I’d not heard of T7 but after a web search assume you meant Here  Nice to know about your elbow unscrewing without interference hitting the head stud nut.

Paul

Hi Paul, yes thats the place for heaters and fittings etc.

Ralph

• 3 months later...
On 12/15/2022 at 11:16 PM, PaulAnderson said:

Having done a bit more forum research on the subject I thought I'd add some more information and queries to this posting.

If needed or desired, as per this earlier forum post a replacement elbow fitting on the engine to the heater valve seems to be a 135 degree (sometimes called 45 degree) black iron 1/4" BSP male x 3/8" BSP female plumbing fitting, and looks like the picture in this posting

On the matter of the elbow hitting the cylinder head stud when it rotates, this post from 2009 suggests that grinding a little of the end of the existing elbow will stop it from hitting the stud, hence no need to remove the head stud and seems a good idea.  I have a vague recollection that some years ago someone told me they'd done that and it worked so I'm asking if someone has done it successfully in case I'm imagining it?

Both that same 2009 posting and page one of this posting discusses using the TR6 straight pipe as a replacement for the elbow.  Has anyone done that for a TR4 / TR4A when using the everco valve under discussion here?   I'm slightly worried it may end up too high and hit the bonnet.

I assume the existing heater hose pipe can be used.

Paul

Just to pick up on my own previous post, I’m not sure it is a 1/4” male to 3/8 female elbow.  I ordered one from Moss and what came is 3/8” at both ends.   I hope it fits as I’m now pressed into doing the job by a leak in the slot of the original heater valve. 
Paul

5 hours ago, Malbaby said:

I plan to use an electronic shut off/on valve on my project car, together with an aftermarket dash switch that glows green when off and red on.

Sorry me Malcolm,

I hate to ask this question - but want to safe you from a disappointment:

why do you want to do that?

On 1/24/2023 at 1:34 PM, PaulAnderson said:

Paul

Why not use the straight heater adaptor from a TR6  ?  No diddling about taking the rocker cover off or possibility of touching the head nut. 

Part Number 148435.  https://www.abingdonmgparts.co.uk/product/adaptor-for-heater-tap%3a--tr5%2c-tr6/148435

image.png.3cd22cd1b7cd3dbfd6607673e72b3166.png

The TR6 pipe is excessively long, at least in appearance if not fit.  It would likely still need the rocker cover and head stud nut removing to get the old elbow off, unless you’re lucky as one member reported earlier.  

Of interest is that it also seems to be 3/8 confirming that the earlier 1/4” reference was incorrect 

Paul

Edited by PaulAnderson
16 hours ago, Z320 said:

Sorry me Malcolm,

I hate to ask this question - but want to safe you from a disappointment:

why do you want to do that?

Hi Marco....Mainly because I do not like the agricultural look of the heater valve.....I am not a "factory correct" person....Also like to have the engine bay as neat/tidy looking as possible....And finally because I can.:rolleyes: 

Edited by Malbaby
13 minutes ago, Malbaby said:

Hi Marco....Mainly because I do not like the agricultural look of the heater valve.....I am not a "factory correct" person....Also like to have the engine bay as neat/tidy looking as possible....And finally because I can.:rolleyes: 

Bravo that man

6 hours ago, Malbaby said:

And finally because I can.:rolleyes: 

This is why I hat to ask that question.

Do it and tell us, what I can tell you is only what I expect, I don’t know because I not did it.

7 hours ago, Malbaby said:

Mainly because I do not like the agricultural look of the heater valve.....I am not a "factory correct" person....Also like to have the engine bay as neat/tidy looking as possible....

If this would be my motivation I would remove all that stuff,

block the connections, close the hole in the firewall and drive without heating.

7 hours ago, Drewmotty said:

I use a 3/8” BSP male/female swivel. 
Details are halfway through this issue of “In the Garage”

I do like that. Bravo! Parts-bin engineering in the true spirit of Triumph.

Cheers, Richard

Yes that looks quite nice.  I bought the two plumbing adapters shown in the attached photograph in the local branch of BSS yesterday.  It's laid alongside the TR6 pipe which I'd also bought earlier as a failsafe.  However I don't think I will need either option as this afternoon I managed to get the old valve off without it snapping.  It took many repeat processes of releasing oil and heat from a blowlamp until it finally gave in.   Yeah, I'm well relieved :). Unfortunately the old heater hose split when trying to push it over the larger spigot on the new valve.  I wish I had some of Rogers concorde hose put away but instead just managed to catch a supplier in (late on a Friday afternoon) to post me some out next week. 

As well as the replacement hose I also need to work out how to attach the pull cable to the heater valve.  I recall seeing an elegant solution as well as one that used the internals of an electrical connector.  I must look them up again.

I've got a deadline of getting the car running for next weekends Scottish weekend.

Paul

IMG_2202 - Copy.JPG

Edited by PaulAnderson
1 hour ago, PaulAnderson said:

Yes that looks quite nice.  I bought the two plumbing adapters shown in the attached photograph in the local branch of BSS yesterday.  It's laid alongside the TR6 pipe which I'd also bought earlier as a failsafe.  However I don't think I will need either option as this afternoon I managed to get the old valve off without it snapping.  It took many repeat processes of releasing oil and heat from a blowlamp until it finally gave in.   Yeah, I'm well relieved :). Unfortunately the old heater hose split when trying to push it over the larger spigot on the new valve.  I wish I had some of Rogers concorde hose put away but instead just managed to catch a supplier in (late on a Friday afternoon) to post me some out next week. 

As well as the replacement hose I also need to work out how to attach the pull cable to the heater valve.  I recall seeing an elegant solution as well as one that used the internals of an electrical connector.  I must look them up again.

I've got a deadline of getting the car running for next weekends Scottish weekend.

Paul

IMG_2202 - Copy.JPG

Think that was me.

Get a Plastic 65amp Block Connector and cut the plastic off of it then take out one of the Screws and carefully drill out the Hole to the size of the shaft on the Everco Valve and use the other Screw to hold the Cable,works a TReat.

What persuasion was needed to get the heater hose onto the new valve?  I warmed it for a while in hot water but it was a struggle and as I said, split.  It may have been 20 years old however but didn’t seem too hard.   I believe it’s 13mm ID.   Ralph mentions using 16mm ID hose but i wonder if that is not too big for the other end where it pushes onto the fitting that straddles the bulkhead (611043).  My bulkhead fitting is stainless and the 13mm hose wasn’t too tight on it so I’m concerned that a 16mm couldn’t be sealed even with a tight jubilee clip.

Paul

Edited by PaulAnderson
13 hours ago, TR NIALL said:

Think that was me.

Get a Plastic 65amp Block Connector and cut the plastic off of it then take out one of the Screws and carefully drill out the Hole to the size of the shaft on the Everco Valve and use the other Screw to hold the Cable,works a TReat.

Sorry it was the 25amp Connector that I used not the 65amp or the middle of the 3 types.

IMG_2726.jpeg

IMG_2727.jpeg

IMG_2728.jpeg

10 hours ago, PaulAnderson said:

What persuasion was needed to get the heater hose onto the new valve?  I warmed it for a while in hot water but it was a struggle and as I said, split.  It may have been 20 years old however but didn’t seem too hard.   I believe it’s 13mm ID.   Ralph mentions using 16mm ID hose but i wonder if that is not too big for the other end where it pushes onto the fitting that straddles the bulkhead (611043).  My bulkhead fitting is stainless and the 13mm hose wasn’t too tight on it so I’m concerned that a 16mm couldn’t be sealed even with a tight jubilee clip.

Paul

Hi Paul,  the 16mm pipe I bought was for the hose from head to valve, as I also bought a 16mm brass adapter for the head,  from the valve to the bulkhead I used my existing hose, admittedly only 3 years old, and a smear of silicone grease and it stretched over the valve OK.

Ralph20230513_092537.jpg.cbbb35d687adcea6552ae45413658695.jpg20230513_092557.thumb.jpg.20a027c76b6fe71bf751e137a4e04d3d.jpg

The input on the valve is actually 15mm but a nice new 13mm hose warmed up with a little lube will go on OK.

Stuart.