Electric cooling fan mounting

Hi all

Has anyone mounted an electric fan to the radiator?

It just seems a bit wrong being an engineer

Is the matrix strong enough

Has anyone got any experiances

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

Many folk build some very nice mounting brackets so that the fan is not mounted directly to or through the matrix itself - like Tom's elegant solution.

However, I used the "through the rad" plastic mounts that came as standard with the Kenlowe fan and have driven many (many!) miles with this set up over almost 10 years, including hundreds (possibly thousands) of miles on rough gravel roads with no ill-effects whatsoever.

I'm sure a separate mounting would be better, but I haven't seen any need for that at all.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tony,

I've used both methods. The thro' the core ties lasted 15 years and only removed when I had another problem on the rad.

On fitting the rebuilt rad I used a method similar to Tom's. Brackets welded to the rad outer casing. The fan attached by screws to the brackets.

Roger

Like Tim I have fixed mine through the matrix. I did add a small piece of rubber exhaust mounting strap between the fan and the matrix to prevent chaffing. It's still there despite a fairly energetic summers activity ????

I have to confess it was rather counter intuitive but I took advice before I did it from a number of sources.

I did fit it with the radiator in situ. Had the apron been off and the radiator more accessible I might have gone down the bracket route..

On my current project I used 1" alloy angle cut and bent to fit around the sides of the rad and held on with a couple of self tappers.

Will probably do the same to the TR when I eventually remove the rad to fit a bush in the steering rack, at present I have fan mounted to the matrix via core ties and I can see where it's been moving up and down (fe$$$$g Irish country roads).

KCzbVah.jpg

Hi again Tony ~

Like Tim and Roger I fitted a Kenlowe electric fan to my 'E'-type Jaguar using the 'through the core' method and I've never had any problems.

Tom.

Done over 40,000 miles through the core no issues. No need to over complicate something simple that works.

Cheers

Mike

Hi all

Thanks for the experiances

I think ill make up some brackets!

Just doesnt feel right using the rad core to support a fan!

T

Like Roger and others above, I've had no probs mounting through the matrix.

The zip-strip/cable tie-like achors are best left a little bit long, as the foam pads between the ends and the matrix compress after a while and they can be tightened up a bit. Like head nuts!

Cut off close at first there's nothing to grip to tighten later.

John

Hello,

I’m one of the biggest “Bodgers” you could ever meet, but no way would I attach an electric fan using tie-wraps through the radiator core.

As people say, it just “Feels” wrong.

I have not yet got to the stage of fitting a fan, but when I do I’ll make up some sort of frame and probably attach it to the inner wings, just in front of the wishbones. Plenty of flat metal there.

I spent ages looking at pictures of used electric fans on eBay. I ended up buying a “Rover 25 mg zr diesel cooling fan” (Plenty on eBay, mine was less than £15 inc postage. Made in Italy, not China.)
I chose it because I recon that it can be fitted and still leave space to get the starting handle through (Obviously without the fan spinning…)

Charlie.

Hi Charlie,

attaching the fan to the core isn't bad engineering nor a bodge.. The rad core is quite a stiff structure and will easily take the weight.

Those people that have done it can site many many years of use with no problems.

In fact there have been more problems using dodgy brackets badly attached to the cross beam. and the fan falling into the rad core. :o

If you are going to fabricate bracket try and attach them to the outer carcase of the rad.

Roger