Tappet Noise or is it a cam follower issue?

lain, try connecting a strobe light to a plug lead to determine if knock is every revolution or every second revolution. This could indicate if its source is valve train or crankshaft. Crankshaft could be timing chain/tensioner otherwise little ends.

You say it goes if you blip the throttle, if you just increase the tickover on the screws at what revs does it disappear, 900, 1000 or?

Chris

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first thought, as I think the tap tap seems less frequent than the engine speed would suggest. Could it be the fuel pump. Doesn't that lever operate less frequently ??

But then if the noise is the dizzy end? My idea doesn't add up ?!?!? A weird one for those more expert than I.

Iain,

Is it spark knock on all cylinders? 800rpm should deliver 400 sparks in 60 seconds, or 6 per second. Thast roughly the knock frequency I can hear in second video ca 00:24

Try richening the mixture or/and retarding the static timing.

I reckon this worked much the same way:

"Slightest touch on the throttle via linkage and the noise goes.."

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Following up on Marcus' post #59 have you checked the lift in each cam lobe. I had a similar noise that I couldn't eliminate by closing the rocker gaps. When I measured the cam lift with a dial gauge I found that cam number one had significantly lower lift than the others. On removing the cam sure enough it was rounded off and had taken the follower with it. Other lobes were also on the way out. This was the cam that was in the engine when I received it back in 2011 which turned out to have been badly rebuilt.

I had a noise very similar to that and was convinced it was valve/tappet/cam related, started to strip the engine and found a manky inlet manifold gasket (small hole burnt through underneath) ... got one of the uprated ones from Revingbone and stuck it back together again, ... quiet as a mouse!!, ... well as quiet as a 4A can be on Webers!!.

Cheers rob

Pete, I haven't measure cam lift directly, but given that all valves have a similar clearance when looking/measuring for binding I don't think its that...

Peter, tried resetting the ignition.......oddly retarding the engine makes it worse! Mixture looks OK. But see postulated problem below and it might make sense.

Neil, I just wonder, we have a new cam and an old dizzy drive gear........so I took it all apart again and there is quit a bit of backlash in the gears, more than spec? I don't know, but it certainly knocks.

See what you think.

An explanation could be,​ when cold the oil is thick the pump therefore drags on the drive gear and helps keep the gears in mesh. As the oil warms up the pump drag is less, the gears chatter, until put under load ( increase revs ) and then they mesh. It would also explain why the tang on the bottom of the shaft that engages with the pump has witness marks that appear quiet shinny on each pickup point..........

Many thanks

Iain

Pete, I haven't measure cam lift directly, but given that all valves have a similar clearance when looking/measuring for binding I don't think its that...

Peter, tried resetting the ignition.......oddly retarding the engine makes it worse! Mixture looks OK. But see postulated problem below and it might make sense.

Neil, I just wonder, we have a new cam and an old dizzy drive gear........so I took it all apart again and there is quit a bit of backlash in the gears, more than spec? I don't know, but it certainly knocks.

See what you think.

An explanation could be,​ when cold the oil is thick the pump therefore drags on the drive gear and helps keep the gears in mesh. As the oil warms up the pump drag is less, the gears chatter, until put under load ( increase revs ) and then they mesh. It would also explain why the tang on the bottom of the shaft that engages with the pump has witness marks that appear quiet shinny on each pickup point..........

Many thanks

Iain

Iain

Got it in one ;) same sound on the second vid.

Well done Iain I think you've got it, the one I've just built was a new cam & original drive gear but when the gear was engaged and seated as you have in the video I didn't have any perceivable movement at all without raising the drive upwards.

Iain,

You can't judge whether a lobe has failed just because the rocker gaps are even.

Pete, agreed but a new cam and new followers and no readjustment required in the first 750 miles makes me think the cam and followers are ok.

Well done Iain I think you've got it, the one I've just built was a new cam & original drive gear but when the gear was engaged and seated as you have in the video I didn't have any perceivable movement at all without raising the drive upwards.

John I am hoping you and Neil are right.........Now where to get a new dizzy drive? Moss don't list.

Cheers

Iain

No probs Pete.....I should have checked the blasted gear meshing way back!

The cam and followers was my first thought.......But seems to have been a red herring:-)

Iain

Edited by iain

Now where to get a new dizzy drive?

If you get stuck Iain give me a shout as I've got a good quality used unit you can have as a loaner to make sure that it is the problem before you commit the hard earned pennies.

My only slight concern is that it's the cam not the drive gear that has the slop in it? :ph34r:

If you get stuck Iain give me a shout as I've got a good quality used unit you can have as a loaner to make sure that it is the problem before you commit the hard earned pennies.

My only slight concern is that it's the cam not the drive gear that has the slop in it? :ph34r:

+1 and the damage may have already been done ? I hope not.

John that's a kind offer, even if it's just offered up to see if it's the drive gear or the cam gear that has gone AWOL.

Lest hope it's just the drive gear that has the wear in it.....but it was ok with the old cam :-(

No probs, I know roughly where you are but send me a pm with your address and I'll drop it off, I'm tucked up Monday & Tuesday but will be passing J27 on Wednesday. It might be as well if I drop off a spare good cam at the same time and you could always rig something on the bench if need be to compare all the tolerance before you do any serious spannering!

No probs, I know roughly where you are but send me a pm with your address and I'll drop it off, I'm tucked up Monday & Tuesday but will be passing J27 on Wednesday. It might be as well if I drop off a spare good cam at the same time and you could always rig something on the bench if need be to compare all the tolerance before you do any serious spannering!

That is what the club and forum is all about I hope nice one John.

Iain , woudn't that amount of slop have shown up on the strobe? Peter

Peter

you would have thought , but no it didn't. No variance at all.

Iain

I cannae see that slak as being the problemo,

when its running, the slak will be took up.

slack like that generally shows up wid wide variations in timing,

when a lamp is used,t,see the figures ont crank

this did,nt, hence cant see it

M