Hi all

Ive been rebuilding my 3a and all the paint inside and out has been removed

The car is a 1960 uk rhd and left the factory in red

While i dont mind red i quite like a royal blue,with a bit of chrome here and there i think it would look great

But.....will it detract from its value and apeal?

Dont want to sell in the immediate but you never know whats round the corner!

What do the forumites think?

Thanks

Tony

Your car Tony, hopefully you'll be driving it many years so to hell with what some possible future buyer who's an originality freak may think. Paint it Blue.

Mick Richards

+1.

I wanted mine blue, but did not particularly like the "standard" colours of the time, so went for Austin "Teal Blue"

Very happy with it, & it get lots of good comments.

post-12009-0-80170300-1472043579_thumb.jpg

Bob.

Go with blue. You like it and there are far too many red ones out there already (including mine)

Mine came from the factory white but I wanted red 30 years ago. If I ever get around to a re-spray it will in one of the lesser seen colours like one of the factory blues or apple green.

It's your car go with what you like.

I have just sold my daimler sp250 this was rover ocean blue code JRN by a previous owner. Very nice with a bit of chrome. To give you an idea here

http://m.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C765026

The most important factor is WHAT YOU LIKE

It's you who is putting in the effort and YOU who is going to drive it.

As for value - original colour is a small plus, but doubtful if any

original colour would take away from it's value.

Non-standard colours WILL take away a bit from the value, but as

Bob will agree, if a non-standard colour really does appeal to you,

then go for it.

Long time ago, an aubergine 3A would have been my dream car/

colour. Fortunately, I grew up before I could afford to do it!

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

My car was born Signal Red, was some awful pukey metallic green when I bought it, and is now a nonmetallic shade of Ford Highland Green from the 2008 Bullitt Mustang special edition (code PX). I figured the car had been so significantly restored and was inherently such a common car that color wasn't going to make any difference to value or authenticity. No regrets at all.

Go with what you like. You'll be happy you did.

Mine was powder blue originally but is now British racing green. Actually, Stuart found it was actually some sort of Fiat green when he matched the paint.

I don't think it will affect the value at all. The green, although not original is really popular with people.

The only proviso I would say to a non standard colour is cellulose looks more in keeping with the car on darker colours and metallics look wrong to my eye.

Thanks for your views really apreciated

Going to go with a deep dark blue with black trim

Should look good with the chrome

My TR5 was Valencia blue when I bought it for £800. I then painted to Black and sold it for £3000, Its now signal red and last changed hands for £30,000, so no, colour wont affect the price. Its spec and condition that counts. If you like blue then blue it can be. if the new owner doesn't like then he can change it.

My Dove (shown here) is Aston Martin silver birch . it was signal red and rusty in places. I think its worth a lot more now in its present colour scheme.

Hoges

Edited by Paul Hogan

Mine was powder blue originally but is now British racing green. Actually, Stuart found it was actually some sort of Fiat green when he matched the paint.

I don't think it will affect the value at all. The green, although not original is really popular with people.

The only proviso I would say to a non standard colour is cellulose looks more in keeping with the car on darker colours and metallics look wrong to my eye.

Really? You changed from powder blue to BRG? How could you! PB is the one and only colour that matters.

Menno

To be fair Menno, the previous owner did it some time around 1991 and the paint has stood up remarkably well.

I do like powder blue personally and I might change it back if I ever get it restored again in years to come.

I think it should have red or beige trim with dark blue, or it'd be too dark overall maybe. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I saw a TR4 at Beulieu a couple of years ago which looked like BMC Clipper Blue. The MGB Iris blue is also very similar to Powder Blue and compliments both models nicely.

Kevin