Hi Folks,

have you ever tried to glue perspex or acrylic sheet. Unless you have the right stuff it doesn't want to know.

At BA i had a half litre tin of Tensol that lasted for years and this worked very well.

This is quite expensive on ebay and not really economic.

I found that some of the instant glues worked OK but if for some reason you had to break the bond it would not work again unless you machined off a good 0.010" or more.

Today I was experimenting and found that paint stripper worked very well.

I have StarChem Synstrip and it sticks like sh*t to a blanket (technical term).

Roger

I heard this some years ago when we stopped having access to MEK, but the problem was that the paint strippers I tried contained some alcohol. Adhesion was good at first but the acrylic crumbled after a few days. Apparently this was due to solvent-induced stress cracking.

Pete

Methylene chloride has been the traditional solvent for welding polymethylmethacrylate (Perspex or Lucite or Plexiglass -- they're all the same).

Exactly what's in some of the solvent-based paint strippers, Roger.

Roger, please tell more, what are you making, for a TR?

A bell housing maybe to observe the clutch release operating?

In the days when I had easy access to many solvents I always found chloroform to be very good for glueing perspex. Just mix a small amount with some perspex swarf to make an effective glue.

I was trying to remember the solvent used for this (but failed) Yes - chloroform works.

Bob.

Not sure that using Starchem stripper is a good idea. Though it will dissolve and bond the Perspex in the short term, the strong alkali in the paint stripper may attack/hydrolyse polymethylmethacrylate causing failure over time.

An adhesive designed specifically for hard plastics is probably the best bet, try Googling 'Perspex adhesive' and there are plenty of results.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

all the technical problems were in the back of my mind.

I was just impressed at how easily it worked.

It looks like Tensol 12 would be the best way to go.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Chloroform? Chloroform!!! A long outdated, and quite toxic (heart stopping) anaesthetic, so take care. Trilene, trichloroethylene, dry cleaning fluid, might be safer and possibly easier to get, if you're not a maven of engineering like Roger.

John

Maven - nice word :)

Roger

Accurate too, I feel