Car scissor lifter recommendation

As the topic title says, any recommendation for one of those car scissor lifters? I'm considering getting one that lifts the whole car about 600mm and then allows tilting for better access. I see there are some on the Bay for about 500 notes.

Hi there. There have been a few discussions on different types of car lifts in the past couple of years. For example, type 'scissor' in the search box with the box on the right set to 'forums' and you will see a few of them. You could also try 'lift', but you will get bored of my carburettors and their woes !

Blast.... my garage needs two new essential items the fridge and the lift!

Now the fridge is an easy sell to the Boss, any ideas on how you secrete a lift into the garage and pretend its been there for ages.......??? :D

To get under the car you need a clearence under your roof trusses of 12ft / 4 mtrs for a normal car and say 11ft / 3.7 mtrs for a sports car.

I'm lucky and did do that re a garage extension but for 99.8% of home garages walking under a car on a lift is just the stuff of dreams.

eddie

but nice dreams when you have 12 owners round for a tech day.

I bought one of those auotmec jobs earlier this year, and it has proved really useful. But, you have to have some cross supports as well so that you can lift the car on the chassis. TR4a you can just about fit the rear support on the platforms, but for the front I have a cross beam too. It is good though.

Dave

====

£1300 sounds expensive, til you work out at that between £30 and £50 p/h garage labour - thats only 26 - 43 hours.

Well it cost more than £500, coming in at under £800 from e bay as a used Strongman Clifton scissor lift that had been re claimed from a struggling plant hire company. As you can see the condition of it is great and confirms it's only been used a minimal amount. There are a few different versions of scissor lift and some have a lot of junk in between the ramps which restricts use, but as you can see the Strongman Clifton and also the Automotech 7530D which Tim and Dave have use separate hydraulic cylinders UNDER the ramps which lift vertically allowing an excellent 820mm clear access between the ramps front to rear, and unfettered wheel access to both front and rear wheels. The lift has parachute valves (they bleed off pressure slowly over 7 or 8 hours) fitted in line on the hydraulics which prevents a catastrophic hydraulic leak dropping the lift and car on to the deck, and also mechanical ratchet locking arms as a failsafe.

I'm at the age when spending time under my car rather than driving it has limited appeal, and the idea that within 2 mins of driving the car into the garage it can be hoisted 1 metre in the air (my single width garage with pent roof allows that ...just) and more importantly safely means that the money fades into insignificance. Everybodies own choice, but I'd dare suggest that many owners are thinking along these lines.

Mick Richards

post-6602-0-44059200-1448395836_thumb.jpg

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Unfortunately the air compessor gubbins would mean i couldnt walk down one side of the car

But having said i would change my exhaust and manifold, lying under the car tother day on nowt more than std ramps, i realised it wouldnt be easy with 1' clearance !

Tr4 fits onto the ramps with about 10" of ramp on the outside of the car each side, I have 22" clear space on the outside of each side of the ramps and the hydraulic controller can be hung where you want it at the end of the garage even or fitted to a small sack trolley arrangement and wheeled around the car.
Air requirement is about 50lb to take the pneumatic safety locks off and is easily met by a normal tyre airpump (hardly any volume needed just what's in the pipes).

Mick Richards

Perhaps easier to see here.

post-6602-0-35513500-1448402430_thumb.jpg

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

This is what I have had for a few years, very pleased. As others have said, no good for gearbox work. Fine for engine sump/diff though. Great for wheels, suspension, floors, sills etc.

Works off a 240v hydraulic pump, with pump, motor, reservoir and controls all in a box approx 25cm x 25cm x 60cm that sits in the corner of the garage.

post-9197-0-76177300-1448441701_thumb.jpg

That pic was taken 3-4 years ago. I had a big tidy up around 18 months ago, did away with the racking and installed a 12ft workbench in its place. The only trouble with that was all the boxes of useful rainy day stuff that came off the racking, is now piled up on the other side of the car!

Edited by mikeyb