Heat resistant material question

Not TR related, but the 2 piece aluminium fabrication in the picture, fits between the fuel tank and one of the 4 branch manifolds of the V8 engine.

Its mighty hot in there and I would like to line the rear of the alloy "safety" sleeve with some kind of heat resistant material.

Asbestos isn't around anymore, I would welcome some suggestions as what to use, normal exhaust temp is 600 and even having it coated it would still be 400.

P1040253_zpsqmdxbhkj.jpg

Hi Pete,

when the subject of heat shields for the Alternator comes up some posters come back with a sheet of 'stuff' that does the trick.

Similar to the material found on ironing boards to stand the iron on.

Not sure where to get it from but it is out there. Perhaps a welding supplies outlet.

Roger

Pete,

Most moderns have an exhaust or catalyser heat shield made of aluminium perforated with a sandwich of some fireproof material which works well. Go down to local scrappy and ask if a £5 note will let you peel some of a scrapper, they come in various sizes some up to suitcase size and will give you material for other work also.

Mick Richards

Your vehicle has its fuel tank in the engine compartment? Wow...

Summit Racing (the go-to mail order place in the US for this kind of thing) has lots of options.

Here's one -- an 1100F/600C fiberglass/aluminum self-adhesive, conformable sheet, 48-inches by 36-inches. Probably similar to Alec's suggestion from Demon Tweeks.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-180025?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKEAjw7O6vBRDpi7O-8OWSkwESJACNFsgx_bzyLMDQ0dl5c9nhcz7Ma9TbsjU_ZUeJgunWA7fS2hoCx1Dw_wcB

hsp-180020_wb_xl.jpg?rep=True

Your vehicle has its fuel tank in the engine compartment? Wow...

Summit Racing (the go-to mail order place in the US for this kind of thing) has lots of options.

Here's one -- an 1100F/600C fiberglass/aluminum self-adhesive, conformable sheet, 48-inches by 36-inches. Probably similar to Alec's suggestion from Demon Tweeks.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-180025?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKEAjw7O6vBRDpi7O-8OWSkwESJACNFsgx_bzyLMDQ0dl5c9nhcz7Ma9TbsjU_ZUeJgunWA7fS2hoCx1Dw_wcB

hsp-180020_wb_xl.jpg?rep=True

Don you have lots of these in your neck of the woods where Panteras abound.

the tank sits in the furthest corner behind the drivers seat, AND the header actually touches the alloy membrane, summit stuff is A OK, the tax for importation is a bugger, Pete

P1040244_zpsmo2di84z.jpg

Ya shoulda hollered last week when I was over for the Goodwood Revival, Pete! I coulda couriered it.

I recall when Panteras were being sold by the local Ford dealer -- including the one in the Southeastern Ohio town of 25,000 where I was raised. They were pretty exotic fare for a kid back then. Still are. I can't remember the last time I saw one in the US. Probably twenty years or so.

Air is an excellent insulator, as anyone knows who wears a sweater. It should be still air, so convection doesn't happen, or else replenished with cool air.

That is how the insulators shown do their work, especially if faced with two layers of thin alloy. An air space broken up into small cells between will act as a good insulator, or even better if an intake can direct fresh air into the gap, but I presume you don't want to muck about with the profile of your Pantera.

Fireproof net is used in building construction. It's made in metal wire, which might be a bit too condutcive, and in Glass fibre, which wouldn't.

Most suppliers I can find are from China, and offer it by the square meter, for pennies: http://www.wholesalesly.com/detail/4x5-80g-fireproof-mesh-net.asp

Worth trying and a go at fabrication?

John

Air is an excellent insulator, as anyone knows who wears a sweater. It should be still air, so convection doesn't happen, or else replenished with cool air.

That is how the insulators shown do their work, especially if faced with two layers of thin alloy. An air space broken up into small cells between will act as a good insulator, or even better if an intake can direct fresh air into the gap, but I presume you don't want to muck about with the profile of your Pantera.

Fireproof net is used in building construction. It's made in metal wire, which might be a bit too condutcive, and in Glass fibre, which wouldn't.

Most suppliers I can find are from China, and offer it by the square meter, for pennies: http://www.wholesalesly.com/detail/4x5-80g-fireproof-mesh-net.asp

Worth trying and a go at fabrication?

John

Quite right John, I made an insulator for my TR4 alternator using 2 sheets of strengthened aluminium separated by a few quarter nuts and it did the job well.

Merlin Motorsport do some heat resistant material which I have found to be quite good.