Tool to remove gear box filler nut TR6

Apart from the various suggestions which can be found via the link which Brian posted, there is a purpose-made spanner with identifier ARE001T.

This is a beefy piece of steel with, at one end, the correct, square socket for drain/filler plugs, and the other end has a square socket for brake adjuster.

I was presented with such a spanner by Tony Sheach when we ran the Basic Maintenance seminar at the 2013 IWE.

I don't know the manufacturer as there's no identifier and I haven't managed to find anything via Google.

Amendment: I have found a tool which works on other Triumph models - follow the link which Brian has posted.

Ian Cornish

I usually get by with a long-handled open-ended spanner

If it looks a bit dodgy then i use one of these:

http://www.sears.com/crescent-7-pc-combination-wrench-set-with-ratcheting/p-00937405000P?prdNo=10&blockNo=10&blockType=G10

also have socket versions which are ver handy

.... Andy

Edited by AndyR100

I did file a tapered square in a large appropriate nut, Fits over the filler plug and takes a standard spanner.

.Would like to add a picture, but since I'm on Win 10 it does not work any more.. :unsure: whatever browser I use

Edit: Just had a trial via my Win 7 software and different browsers, but no success so must have to do with the new TRR website settings

Edited by jean

7/16ths star drive socket for me, my one came from Snap on but sure others must make same thing, and then create access panel in the gearbox tunnel then it saves you having to grovel about under the car if you don't have access to a ramp.

ATB Graham

A good monkey-wrench undid a seemingly impossible oil drain square nut for me

Dave

====

As mentioned already, there is a special square-headed spanner available for this task. FIne for the diff, but the ribbed side of the gearbox doesn't allow for the spanner to go on.

Like Graham, I have a 7/16 star drive socket especially for this job and it means it's a doddle, as long as you have a hole in the gearbox cover in the correct place!

Cheers,

Matt

This subject was discussed in TR Action 243 for July 2010 following the topic being raised in TRA 240. I have attached a scan of the two pages from Technicalities in TRA 243.

I followed the approach offered by Doug Arran and, I must say, it makes checking and topping up the gearbox and overdrive oil an absolute doddle. I chose not to use the cover plate option and used a large rubber floor grommet.

Grahampost-4330-0-26925700-1442573579_thumb.jpgpost-4330-0-69919900-1442573603_thumb.jpg