Engineering Drawings

Hi Folks,

can anybody on the forum, or know anybody, that can do professional standard engineering drawings.

They must be good - back of fag packet will simply not be good enough.

There is a project going at the moments that requires a quality drawing.

Payment will be arranged.

I have software than can do it but sadly the interface between keyboard and my fingers is non-functional in this area.

Roger

I got the Engineering Drawing Prize at school, but only because teacher assumed that I would fail and I scraped a C.

I may still have my flexicurve somewhere.

I shall not put myself forward.

I know many architectural cad technicians, but I assume that this would not suffice.

Roger,

I would send you a PM, but I think your message mail box must be full.

I had the same problem recently and found that was the case.

I think if you click on the envelope in the top line you can find them all and delete some.

JOhn

Hi Folks,

just to expand things.

The project is the 4 pot crankshaft. Moss have now made two cranks, all machined and hunky dory.

However we now need a decent set of drawings to give to the Indian workshop to do a coarse machining of the casting.

This would leave it 0.020" oversize on all machined surfaces.

Final fettling in the UK.

Roger

Just to add to Roger's post, this is the latest Spares Development Fund project, initiated by the SDF, initially funded by the SDF, in partnership with MOSS, pretty much along the lines of the cylinder head project.

It is keeping us (well, Roger at least) pretty busy on behalf of all wet liner 4 cylinder TR owners...................

Hi Peter,

I believe the plan is to have the rear scroll in place (as per the original Standard TRiumph design).

There are four rear seals that could be adopted

1 - the scroll seal that works when moving but often leaves the odd spot (100,003 spots is odd).

2 - the big lip seal (is that the landRover)

3 - Christian Marx's small lip seal

4 - The Ferguson Lip seal.

Items 1 & 3 require no modification

Item 2 requires the scroll to be machined off down to a much smaller diameter. Obviously this is an irreversible process and may not be the best approach

Item 4 keeps the scroll body the same diameter as standard but there is no scroll machined in. Once the scroll is in place then this seal can not be used.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Bloody hell Roger Indian workshop, what`s happened to British Engineering expertise ?

Cheers Chris.

Probably closed down and sold all the kit to India :(

Hi Chris,

British expertise is alive and well and making a fortune

The crank starts life as a casting. This needs to be machined down to a a tasty crank.

The Indians only do tasty in their curries. So the idea is for the Indian workshop to remove the big chunks

Then the British expertise will swing into action and do the delicate stuff in bringing it to accurate size.

Roger

Hope the casting is done in the UK.

The metallurgy of my Indian bench vice was such that the thread pulled out on the second go. Same strength as dairy butter.

On this trip met a mechanical engineer who has to now source his steel from China, in lieu of his previous Oz source, for a particular job, and the brittleness causes him problems.

(now in Singapore Rog.)

Edited by littlejim

Hope the casting is done in the UK.

The metallurgy of my Indian bench vice was such that the thread pulled out on the second go. Same strength as dairy butter.

On this trip met a mechanical engineer who has to now source his steel from China, in lieu of his previous Oz source, for a particular job, and the brittleness causes him problems.

(now in Singapore Rog.)

and in the UK, my brother in law's engineering/fabrication firm are busy repairing and correcting cheap Chinese manufactured parts which was business they lost to China on price in the first place. Repairs are significantly more expensive the original costs!

He does tell me that it is significantly quicker and cheaper, (including shipping time and costs) to buy forgings from America, rough finished, than wait for UK suppliers...

Hi Peter,

I believe the plan is to have the rear scroll in place (as per the original Standard TRiumph design).

There are four rear seals that could be adopted

1 - the scroll seal that works when moving but often leaves the odd spot (100,003 spots is odd).

2 - the big lip seal (is that the landRover)

3 - Christian Marx's small lip seal

4 - The Ferguson Lip seal.

Items 1 & 3 require no modification

Item 2 requires the scroll to be machined off down to a much smaller diameter. Obviously this is an irreversible process and may not be the best approach

Item 4 keeps the scroll body the same diameter as standard but there is no scroll machined in. Once the scroll is in place then this seal can not be used.

Roger

Might I suggest a poll of the potential customer base on this question before the design is committed to production. My personal preference would be for the Ferguson arrangement, option 4.

Hi Pete,

there has to be one!! :P

The Fergy lip seal is a big bu99er and not to be underestimated for its powers to saw through the back end.

It is truely a handy cheap method but not really the best answer for our sporty cars.

The scroll seal with the Christian Marx lip seal is the best option.

However the cranks will , I believe, be made in batches and It may be possible to request a particular seal arrangement.

Roger

It should be remembered that the Fergie engine was limited to 2000 rpm and produced all of 28.2 belt horsepower, and that the TR engine is a development of the Vanguard engine, not of the tractor engine. This I explained in great detail in a 2-part article in TR Actions 241 & 242 (March & May 2010).

Thanks to Roger Hogarth's good offices, the material of the current Fergie casting has been analysed and found to be identical to that of the Triumph originals.

It's all too easy to be dismissive of the ability of manufacturers in the Far East, but some are very good indeed - the skill is in selecting the good ones.

Ian Cornish

...It's all too easy to be dismissive of the ability of manufacturers in the Far East, but some are very good indeed - the skill is in selecting the good ones...

True enough, Ian. The manufacturers in our respective countries (and other fully mature economies) have largely by necessity and the ruthless winnowing of the market over the years been reduced to the only ones left standing being very good.

That's not the case in Asia or the Indian subcontinent. It's often a crapshoot. Do you guys in the SDF have a plan to audit manufacturers to ensure they're good ones? Something beyond crossing fingers and seeing how many cranks blow apart, that is.

Roger is fershure the man for the job You go, Roger!