Hi All,

About a year or so ago, Practical Classics magazine did a product test on Trolley Jacks and the one that came out best was from Halfords.

Does anyone know what model it was?

I kept the magazine to look for when I needed it, but it seems to have disappeared.

Or, any recommendations for a light weight, quick lift, low entry, high lift, perfect jack for any TR! :wacko:

Thanks for your help.

Dave.

Edited by Dave Ashworth

I can second the Sealy recommendation. I have the 3 ton low entry but my son's low entry long reach version is better for theTR and has a foot pedal 'quick lift' for taking up the slack....some way short of light weight though.

Dave

For what it's worth, I got a jack from SGS a couple of months ago

They do a low profile 2 tonner, ideal for low sports cars, it was about £35.00 if my memory serves me correctly

I also needed axle stands and collected Sealeys 2 tonne stands from my local Eurocar Parts depot for less than £20.00 the pair

Hi Dave,

I remember Austin starting a similar topic last year. It's at: http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/49063-trolley-jack/?hl=%2Btrolley+%2Bjack

There were lots of suggestions in that thread that might help. I went for a Clarke low saddle aluminium jack. It's not the lightest on the market, but not bad at 12kgs. Saddle height is 79mm, with a lifting capacity of 1¼ tonnes.

Darren

Watch out for a spares problem with Sealey Jacks. I bought one form Halfords - a heavy 3 ton jobbie, worked very well for a number of years, but then started to leak fluid from the release shaft seal. Try as I may I cannot get hold of any spare seals for it, & so can't use it any more. These days I am just using a couple of "ordinary" lower spec jacks, which actualy work just fine !

Bob.

Hi Bob,

regarding your leaky seal - have you investigated the boxes of mixed seals you get at autojumbles.

I bought a box 2 or 3 years ago and have every size between apprx 1/4" to 2".

Not sure on oil compatability though.

Roger

I have a Clarke "Racing" jack: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-ctj1250ab-1-25-tonne-aluminium-racing-j

Light to carry or manoever, 'quuck' action, low enough at 85mm.

Since a TR6 weighs just less than 1.2 tonnes, and you have to lift it one end at a time, a "1.25 tonne" jack is more than sufficient.

3 Tonnes is for lorries.

JOhn

I've got the same 'lift faster' racing jack as John.

Works well and is light :-)

Just to be different; TRolley jacks are for garages (under normal conditions).

However I found lifting a TR4A with a flat rear tyre using the simple scissor jack was very difficult indeed.

On the recommendation from the forum I bought an electric scissor jack off ebay - oh bliss.

I have even used it to help guide a gearbox through the clutch by raising/lowering the engine to the correct level.

Roger

Hi Dave,

This is the low profile trolley jack from the Practical Classics test:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks-axle-stands/halfords-2-tonne-trolley-jack-low-profile

I bought one of these on the strength of the review, and to be honest, I've not been impressed with it. Compared to my other 15yo Halfords trolley jack, the build quality is poor. It doesn't have a carrying handle, which makes it a bugger to move around. It also creeps very quickly. The only good thing about it is the swivelling handle, which is useful in tight spaces. Oh, and the price I guess. Personally I'd forget the Halfords one and go for one of the other recommendations.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Steve Priest

Hi Dave,

I remember Austin starting a similar topic last year. It's at: http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/49063-trolley-jack/?hl=%2Btrolley+%2Bjack

There were lots of suggestions in that thread that might help. I went for a Clarke low saddle aluminium jack. It's not the lightest on the market, but not bad at 12kgs. Saddle height is 79mm, with a lifting capacity of 1¼ tonnes.

Darren

I ended up with this go faster 2.5 tonne racing jack from SGS.

100mm - 460mm range

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/tja25-aluminium-trolley-jack

Not cheap or what I would describe as "ultra lightweight" (except compared with say a refuse truck), but looks rather racey.

In fact, the man from the RAC clocked it when he was trying to start the Treg and commented:

"very good jacks those, we used to have them......

...... until 3 collapsed."

I am sort of hoping that he confused it with one of many other shiny go faster alu jacks out there as they all look the same !

It has never collapsed on me and feels very well built - and with my track record of jacking cars up and down etc, you know how important a good jack is to me ! :o

But do remember that with such a wide range of lift, there is an arc that will require some lateral movement (don't ask me how I know).

Bob,

If you try an industrial bearing/seals supplier they may well have your seals in stock . I had a similar problem a while back with a very ancient Jacking Beam and they found some suitable.

I think it unlikely that Sealey will make their own seals but source them from commonly available sizes.

Bob,

If you try an industrial bearing/seals supplier they may well have your seals in stock . I had a similar problem a while back with a very ancient Jacking Beam and they found some suitable.

I think it unlikely that Sealey will make their own seals but source them from commonly available sizes.

Good point Roger.

I really must open the thing up, & find out exactly what I need.

I would recommend BRT they can usually match seals and bearings if you have a pattern,the nearest to you is in Hanworth I think.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, one and all.

There is nothing better than hearing the experiences of others compared with trying to figure it out from the spec sheets.

Those electric scissor jacks sound good Roger, for a bit of this and than, rather than the regular jacking business.

One can easily be swayed by those go faster ally jobs, I must admit, if given to a bit of bling, which I can be.

So I'll start at the top of this column and have a look at them all.

Thanks very much for your help, as always.

Dave

OK so I decided to have a go at fixing my Sealey Trolley jack today.

Started off by cleaning it up with engine cleaner from my air powered parafin gun, that got all the "gunge" off.

Next was to dig out the parts list & exploded diagram I got with the jack (It's model 2050CX which is rated at 2 tons)

It seemed that all the actual seals were 'O' rings of various sizes, so good chance I would have in stock.

Stripped it all down, except for the main cylinder / piston, because 1) I could not undo the large nut on the end, &

2) I did not think that the problem was in there anyway.

After much cleaning, dug out the only 'O' ring which was in a groove, (the other one was just on a shoulder at the end of a bolt.)

found suitable replacement for that one, & one other, fitted, & started to re-assemble.

It was at that point that the real source of the leak became apparent. One of the bolts on top of the pump chamber was

able to be screwed in far more than than when I started to take it out. It was not loose to start with because two centre punch dents had been put on the edge to lock it in place when 1st made, & these had made removal difficult. I was there for most surprised to be able to screw it in another 4 turns or so before the 'O' ring was compressed, & the bolt bottomed on it's shoulder. Why it should have come loose I don't know, but that would definitely explain the major fluid loss whenever I tried to use it.

Anyway I guess the service & new 'O' rings was a good thing to do, & it is now working fine with no leaks.

Time for a cup of tea and a biscuit me thinks.

Bob

Edited by Lebro
  • 4 weeks later...

Bob,

I have had an old non-working trolley jack in the garage for years and this thread prompted me to take a look at why it wasn't working. Turns out the cup seal on the end of the piston had disintegrated. After a Google search I find that this is a problem that commonly afflicts Machine Mart TJ4000 jacks and although mine didn't come from MM and is at least 26 years old, the replacement seal kit for the MM jack is the one I needed.

I bought it through HTS Hydraulic Transmission Service, Cannon Street, Salford - 0161 834 7666. Ordered on Friday and arrived today. Fitted in 30 minutes and jack is working again.

Rgds Ian