so how do you get the coolant in and out?

Jolly looking item, you'd win in the paddock alone.

Peter W

Likely with hoses / pipes ,!!! hee hee

go on, ye no ye want it!!

Its much moer tech than the Alloy heed Moss did ,or still dooing !!

a few years ago.

M

Edited by GT6M

Crossflow: wont the inlet manifold/carbs clash with the disy for space? or does the disy fit under the exhaust manifold?

Cant see how the standard cam and row of pushrods can be made to fit - was it ohc?

Can you point me in directionee of the info Neil.

Strange how some thing that looks the biz, turns out not to be !!

Any one no if the Alloy heeds Moss were flogg,n a while back were any good!!

M

If you do a search on here then you will find it discussed in great detail, the Moss ally heads are fine for a road car but not as good for competition purposes.

Stuart.

A brief technical summary - Lawrencetune, introduced in August 1963 (THE AUTOCAR, page 352, 23 August 1963, has a description and a cross-sectional drawing), light alloy, with design work by Blydenstein..

Although I was running the 'works' TR4s at the time, I had no previous knowledge of such a project, and had not, repeat not, been approached by Lawrencetune. Further, even after this, Lawrencetune made no effort to get it looked at, tested, tried in cars, or made available as an optional item.

I never heard of any car - TR or Morgan - which had a successful installation, which might explain why it was a commercial failure. Lawrencetune claimed 154bhp for a race-version of the 2-litre engine.

To confirm a previous query - it retained the standard camshaft position, combining it with a BMW/Bristol type of cross-push-rod layout, of one long rocker (exhaust side) and one short 'reversed' rocker (inlet side), the valves been opposed at a total of 60 degrees.

Hon. Pres.

Edited by Graham Robson

And more to the point the 87 mm 4 cylinder engine can now be made to produce close to 220 bhp using the MOSS / TRR SDF cast iron head, so frankly why bother ...

Flippin heck Tony - I was aiming for 135 at the back end on the one I'm currently building - now I'm suffering from a case of horsepower envy! :wub::D:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I think this is a really intriguing item, sure it was no commercial success and somewhat tempermental - but can you blame the guys for trying (and putting their money where their mouths were) Lawrence did get it to work and it was an interesting exercise if a short-lived one.

It had a few decent results (according to what I've read) both in the LawrenceTune Morgans and also the Dangerfield Triumph SLR at Goodwood in 1966.

I've been looking to see one in the flesh for many years, can anybody put me in touch with Paul Hogan please, and what is the IWE show ?

I'd be interested in any comments (good or bad) from anyone with direct experience of this head, or indeed had dealings with Lawrence himself.

All engineers/designers have successes and failures and Lawrence certainly had plenty of both - I know he was no saint but if you read anything of his autobiography he certainly packed his years with interesting projects and escapades :)

Finally I really enjoy reading these TR forums, informative and entertaining, what more could you want !

Have Fun

Andy

Hello All,

I think this is a really intriguing item, sure it was no commercial success and somewhat tempermental - but can you blame the guys for trying (and putting their money where their mouths were) Lawrence did get it to work and it was an interesting exercise if a short-lived one.

It had a few decent results (according to what I've read) both in the LawrenceTune Morgans and also the Dangerfield Triumph SLR at Goodwood in 1966.

I've been looking to see one in the flesh for many years, can anybody put me in touch with Paul Hogan please, and what is the IWE show ?

I'd be interested in any comments (good or bad) from anyone with direct experience of this head, or indeed had dealings with Lawrence himself.

All engineers/designers have successes and failures and Lawrence certainly had plenty of both - I know he was no saint but if you read anything of his autobiography he certainly packed his years with interesting projects and escapades :)

Finally I really enjoy reading these TR forums, informative and entertaining, what more could you want !

Have Fun

Andy

Andy,

The International Week End (IWE) is the TR Register's big annual show usually held in July at Malvern showground.

To contact Paul Hogan, I suggest you PM him here on the Forum.

Cheers

Graeme

post-4157-0-01880200-1421829510_thumb.jpg

The 2015 IWE will be at the Three Counties Showground, Malvern, 7th-9th August.

'Racing' Reg Woodcock has one of these heads, but told me he would never fit it as he could achieve more with his engine.

I have attached a reprint of an article in the Autocar (23/8/63). I seem to recall that some machining of the block is required to allow for the inclination of the pushrods, which lie at an angle to the vertical.

Ian Cornish