Identifying the correct antifreeze seems to have got complicated.......especially for wet liner engines.

I need antifreeze for .....

TR3a....wet liner and limited aluminium parts.

Toyota Hilux Diesel....lots of aluminium parts.

Freelander diesel....lots of aluminium parts.

Kubota Diesel......limited aluminium parts.

Bentley Mulsanne....wet liner and lots of aluminium.

Talbot 105......iron engine but lots of 1933 aluminium.

It appears that a large drum of Bluecol no longer fits all.

Just another complication!!

Advice from FBHVC is as follows:

Only use blue coloured Inorganic Additive Technology (IAT) antifreeze in historic vehicles – do NOT use Organic Acid Technology (OAT) products. Always replace the coolant within the time scale specified by the anti-freeze manufacturer as the corrosion inhibitors break down over time.

Halford’s sell a blue-coloured ‘Advanced’ anti-freeze which has a label containing the phrase: ‘Older vehicles can further benefit…’ but this product does indeed contain OAT and therefore cannot be recommended for historic engines.

Ethylene glycol is extremely poisonous and will kill animals and humans if ingested, so take great care when disposing of used antifreeze.

For further detail, consultant the FBHVC's website.

Ian Cornish

Hi Guys

I use COMMA SUPER COLDMASTER DILUTED 50% with de-ionised water, and it stays in all year round and I find that I get less discolourisation with rust that with other products.

DON´T let us get into EVANS Waterless Coolant again!.

Dave

This Halfords A-F is what we used... it says that it's 'IAT based' and not OAT so should be suitable for a 3A based on Ian's advice...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_176849_langId_-1_categoryId_255224

Hi Ashley,

A few years ago I had the engine of my '4' rebuilt as the figure of eights were knackered. After the rebuild, I made the mistake of using OAT and after about 20K miles she started "using" water - she was leaking into the sump via the F-O-8s!

When the engine was stripped, there was absolutely no sign of any sealant ANYWHERE** (above or below) the F-O-8S - it would seem the OAT had completely eaten the sealant! Needless to say, I now use the old fashioned "Blue" stuff from Comma 50/50 and haven't had any problems (yet!) after approx 40K miles - I wouldn't touch OAT with a bargepole as far as the "4" is concerned!

Geoff

PS**. Yes - sealant was certainly used during the first rebuild - I saw it being applied!

For use in your Toyota, here's a strong recommendation for the dealer's red Toyota coolant. I've run it for years in my Toyota Tacoma and my Lexus RX350. My mechanics seek it out especially for Toyota servicing -- they don't recommend anything else for one and during a discussion earlier in the week they consider this one of the few long life coolants that really IS a long life coolant.

With respect to classic cars like our TRs, it seems that FBHVC report that added to the debate in January 2010 is no longer on their website (although lots of people are still referring to it).

http://fbhvc.co.uk/2010/01/27/antifreeze/

Quoting from other club sites from that report seems to be a collection of anecdotes and random fears. I'm not seeing what I consider conclusive evidence of inorganic vs organic additive technology. For example, from THIS link:

However these products do seem to cause problems in older engines; over and above the ability of antifreeze to find the smallest crevice and leak, OAT antifreezes have been accused of destroying seals and gaskets and causing a great deal of damage in ‘old’ engines. For this reason the manufacturers of OAT antifreeze products do not recommend their use in historic and classic vehicles. These products are usually coloured red, pink or orange.
Does anyone have any solid technical data or personal experience? This seems to be a UK-centered debate? Maybe an abundance of caution where change is concerned? We don't seem to burn a lot of calories on this over here. I run a typical US bright green coolant (ethylene glycol based, with who knows what stabilizer) and have nothing remarkable to report.

...When the engine was stripped, there was absolutely no sign of any sealant ANYWHERE** (above or below) the F-O-8S - it would seem the OAT had completely eaten the sealant!...

Interesting. Thanks for the report. I gotta check with some folks over hear to see if there's something to report from our side...

Interesting. Thanks for the report. I gotta check with some folks over hear to see if there's something to report from our side...

It would be good to track this down Don, I probably use the same flourescent green/orange stuff that you do. Just drained the TR3 cooling system coincidentally..

Stan

An interesting thread for me, having just been to Costco and bought, on impulse, some Prestone Extended Life antifreeze. The blurb on the container says that it is compatible with all passenger vehicles and any type of antifreeze, whatever colour, and contains a silicate and phosphate free formulation.

Prompted by this thread, I spent a bit of time googling reviews of Prestone today, and am now more confused than ever - lots of comments for and against. Anyone used it in a TR?

John

Silicates and phosphates are inorganic compounds of the type used in stabilizers and it says it is free of them, so it is likely to be stabilized with organics.

Mike

Identifying the correct antifreeze seems to have got complicated.......especially for wet liner engines.

I need antifreeze for .....

TR3a....wet liner and limited aluminium parts.

Toyota Hilux Diesel....lots of aluminium parts.

Freelander diesel....lots of aluminium parts.

Kubota Diesel......limited aluminium parts.

Bentley Mulsanne....wet liner and lots of aluminium.

Talbot 105......iron engine but lots of 1933 aluminium.

It appears that a large drum of Bluecol no longer fits all.

Just another complication!!

Dick

Pm me and I will put you in contact with someone close to where you are.

Glad I saw this chaps! Realised I have had the wrong A/F in my 250 for about a year (Motoquip Premium Red ). Immediately went out to the garage (22:15) and drained her - will flush and refill with something Blue (but not borrowed!) tomorrow.

Thanks again All

• 2 weeks later...

What about 4 Life? Haven't used it myself but many years ago the late Prof. Michael Bingley endorsed it in a letter to TrAction.

Hi Ashley,

Google has a whole stack of posts regarding the dangers of OAT.

Here is a typical post http://www.da7c.co.uk/technical_torque_articles/right_antifreeze.htm

It is a bit like EP oils and yellow metals.

Roger

But we now know that EP oils don't harm yellow metals and never did.

We got all this tripe with synthetic oils too. I'm not using OAT, but I might yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Question from novice here.

Assuming i get the Halfords product as above and aim to dilute it 50%, is that 50:50 or 100:50 (water to ant - or anti to water!)?

Is de-ionised water

Secondly, what is the volume of of diluted liquid for a TR3A (has a 4 engine at 87mm).

Engine capacity is irrelevant.

Cooling system capacity is 13 pints (7.4 litres) without heater; 14 pints (8 litres) with heater.

So for your quoted concentration, approx 4 litres antifreeze plus 4 litres water.

Mix it first and add slowly (e.g. 2 lires at a time), preferably with the front raised a little to minimise possibility of airlocks.

Hello, used 4life for about 10 years now in a 4A, engine rebuilt about 1998, no problems. I bought it from MGOC and I don't recall any comments on their site re suitability for older cars. Also, the car does run cooler so for me, it works, Cheers, Andrew