Just bought 1970 TR6, issues and questions

Dear all, I am new to the TR6 world and have a few questions, here are some pics:

OUI8OPB.jpg

eKbj06i.jpg

qh6a6Ht.jpg

pCJegST.jpg

aUgiiHM.jpg

The car is just recently imported from Texas, so no rust issues, (I hope!) recorded mileage 89000 miles which might be not far off, the interior is shabby so it needs refurbished seats, dashboard doorcards etc, regarding the wood dashboard; is it possible to sand down and re-lacquer? Or is the veneer too thin? It looks flat and has not lifted in any place as far as I can see.

The engine start easy and runs nice enough with no noises and no smoke, a bit lumpy and will not idle easy, could be plugs, distributor cap, old fuel, carbs out of tune etc, I have ordered the rubber diaphrams for the twin stromberg so I will have a look after I installed those, I could not feel any play in the "main axle" going into the carbs.

It is a rather high squeak when turning the steering, it goes gradually away when the steering is turned towards the end of its travel, I have tried to squirt wd40 on all moving parts of the steering system, rack, arm-ends rubber parts etc but the noise is no different, the noise seems to come from the right wheel or the steering rack itself, it is also some play in the steering column which will need bushes. But I only need to turn the steering wheel a few mm to actually move the wheels so its not all bad, I can however see a movement in the end of the steering rack that does not look right.

Also I noticed that the left rear side of the car is a few cm higher then the right side, might be that the car has not been in regular use for at least 5 years, if not is this a known problem on the TR6?

It also needs a new soft top, which/where to buy this? I have decided to go for vinyl, is it worth to go for a better grade vinyl? Does an expensive one fit better/easier to fit than the cheaper ones? I do not need a zip window unless they all come like that.

I am in Solihull, west midlands, is it any local place that would be good for delivering the seats for refurbishment?

The black paint on the back needs to be done, is this a total flat black, satin or what?

Nearly all the rubber on this car needs replacing, also the windshield and the window frame/to body seal.

Also the electrical is a bit hit and miss, I guess I will have no time to get bored, come to think of it I am never bored in the garage no matter what I work on!

Forum looks great, always good to get advice from people who has been there before... ;)

Edited by TRseks

Welcome TRseks, what should we call you?

Attached is my accumulated list of suppliers (etc.) that should cover your needs and quiet a of few of them are in your area I believe.

I would also advise to join the TR Register and maybe its local group for advice.

Stan

Edited by smizgals

Hi Magnus

Welcome to TR ownership! Not too far away from you (I'm near Stafford). On Easter Sunday (and Monday) there's the first big Classic Car Show on at Weston Park if you're interested - there's supposed to be a good few local TR's from the Stoke/Shropshire groups going...

Chers

Ian

Welcome Magnus, she does look like a nice motor.

The car is just recently imported from Texas, so no rust issues, (I hope!) recorded mileage 89000 miles which might be not far off, the interior is shabby so it needs refurbished seats, dashboard doorcards etc, regarding the wood dashboard; is it possible to sand down and re-lacquer? Or is the veneer too thin? It looks flat and has not lifted in any place as far as I can see.

Plenty on this forum + some pics and example of how to reveneer, obviously a light sand etc would be somewhat easier.

The engine start easy and runs nice enough with no noises and no smoke, a bit lumpy and will not idle easy, could be plugs, distributor cap, old fuel, carbs out of tune etc, I have ordered the rubber diaphrams for the twin stromberg so I will have a look after I installed those, I could not feel any play in the "main axle" going into the carbs.

It is a rather high squeak when turning the steering, it goes gradually away when the steering is turned towards the end of its travel, I have tried to squirt wd40 on all moving parts of the steering system, rack, arm-ends rubber parts etc but the noise is no different, the noise seems to come from the right wheel or the steering rack itself, it is also some play in the steering column which will need bushes. But I only need to turn the steering wheel a few mm to actually move the wheels so its not all bad, I can however see a movement in the end of the steering rack that does not look right.

Check that the rack U bolts holding it to the chassis are OK. The bushes in the upper rack are a bit of a pig to do but noit expensive. If you have to do those you'll be able to check out the rest of the column etc and isolate the issue, BTW a new rack isnt expensive and safety first.

Also I noticed that the left rear side of the car is a few cm higher then the right side, might be that the car has not been in regular use for at least 5 years, if not is this a known problem on the TR6?

No not a know problem, check that the sping is Ok , they do break, and that the trailing arm and hub are properly seated. There are rubber bushes at each end of the spring so check that they are all present and correct. It may just be a tired spring , again not expensive.

It also needs a new soft top, which/where to buy this? I have decided to go for vinyl, is it worth to go for a better grade vinyl? Does an expensive one fit better/easier to fit than the cheaper ones? I do not need a zip window unless they all come like that.

There are all sorts of recommendations on this forum for the tops, zip out window is an option so you dont need to pay for one. Vinyl is preferred by many as its most durable and waterproof. Fitting one is not cheap as it seems to be charged at most of a full days labour. Just stripped my hood and refitted mine, a bit of a fiddle but quite doable if you have the will (a friend is helpful as well). Also a good opportunity to repaint the hood frame whilst youre there.

I am in Solihull, west midlands, is it any local place that would be good for delivering the seats for refurbishment?

The black paint on the back needs to be done, is this a total flat black, satin or what?

Satin Black I believe, and many suggest that a tin of spray will do it nicely (have to do mine as well)

Nearly all the rubber on this car needs replacing, also the windshield and the window frame/to body seal.

Windscreen frame comes out with two bolts that are to of the inner bulkhead, lots of wobbling and easing to get it out. Rubbers etc all readily available and again as youre doing the hood may as well do all this lot together

Also the electrical is a bit hit and miss, I guess I will have no time to get bored, come to think of it I am never bored in the garage no matter what I work on!

Electricks are all simple and theres a PDF of the wiring on the web, stripped , cleaned and rewired my 6 in a day ( and I'm no good at electricks) , including the dash etc. Also quite easy to replace burnt wires, terminals etc etc when youre doing this. Loom is in two parts front and back so replacing is made simpler.

Forum looks great, always good to get advice from people who has been there before... ;)

Forum is great and theres all the expertise you need on here.

Hi Magnus,

some of the replies have refered to posts in other areas of the forums. To get to these you will need to use the search facility.

Go to a forum - eg. TR6.

Top right hand corner is the seach white box - insert your serach requirement eg 'steering rack'

Press GO.

You can do this in any of the forums

Warning don;t use words with 3 characters or less - it will not see them.

Roger

Hi Magnus, Smart looking US spec car, paintwork is super I assume it's been repainted? If not it's been very well looked after.

If it is a 1970 car?... the Windscreen surround should be painted the colour of the bodywork not black! A small point...but it marks the car out as one of the rarer early ones.

Do go for the Hood with the Zip-out rear window...as although it's best with the hood down of course...the open rear window is far nicer and more comfortable than hood up with a side window down and it stops it ballooning...not to mention the 'other half' moaning! :wub:

Edited by Denis

Nice looking car Magnus. I'm no TR6 expert although I had one for a while. Your instruments look like they are from a later car than 1970. Maybe they were fitted to export cars

It is definately a 1970 car, the original colour is code 19 according to the plate in the door, which is white? it is painted red everywhere, a slightly darker shade of red inside so it is been repainted at least twice, the paint is ok but suffers from microbubbles on a few panels, if it does not get worse I will leave it, I had this on another car and it was possible something to do with the primer reacting with the old paint. I did not know that early cars should have body colour on window frame, interesting.

The reason I bought the car was that I could find very little rust and no sign of welding, door gaps are ok but the right door gap is wider on the top than bottom, around the wings and bonnet its very good, I wanted a LHD car as I will possibly export it to Norway.

If the instruments are from a later car I have to look into sorting it if not too much trouble, I am no fanatic when it comes to originality but I try as far as I think is reasonable.

Thanks again for you advice!

If you are serious about refinishing the dash use wire wool not sandpaper! I used The Gauge shop in Tunbridge Wells (they were on Ebay) Cost £250 for speedo,rev counter and all 4 small gauges completely refurbed.

Edited by jemgee

If it is a 1970 car?... the Windscreen surround should be painted the colour of the bodywork not black! A small point...but it marks the car out as one of the rarer early ones.

Think you will find 1970 cars after 50,000 commission number have black windscreen surround , only earlier cars body colour .

Chris

Think you will find 1970 cars after 50,000 commission number have black windscreen surround , only earlier cars body colour .

Chris

I think it is cc54012 so black then :)

Magnus,

It may not have rusted in Texas but it will here!! - with a vengeance surpassed only by TR7s.

So I would make it a priority to inject a couple of gallons of Waxoyl everywhere, on a really hot day when (if) the sun shines.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Hi Magnus,

A Rimmer Bros catalogue is an excellent piece of literature to have as a reference as there are plenty of diagrams and part nos. You can ring them on customer services 01522 567432.

TRGB also do a catalogue which is very useful the number for them is 01487842168.

Hope this helps.

Welcome...

I'm in Kenilworth.. Let me know if you need a hand?

Tim

Hi Magnus,

A Rimmer Bros catalogue is an excellent piece of literature to have as a reference as there are plenty of diagrams and part nos. You can ring them on customer services 01522 567432.

TRGB also do a catalogue which is very useful the number for them is 01487842168.

Hope this helps.

Hmmm John....I always wanted a Red Car...did yours come with that accessory?

By the way Magnus, you will need to get a Cardboard Shroud for that Radiator! And Micro-blistering isn't from a reaction from primer to paint...it's caused by moisture in the spray-painters compressor which gets trapped, but eventually finds it's way to the surface...my car suffers from it too, it took quite a few years to appear though!

Edited by Denis

Chris

Interesting, so my cars even rarer than I thought then! Cool!

The instruments are from a 73 or later. The engine shot shows an egr valve which dates it to at least 1974 (the shape of the intake manifold is indicative of a post 72. When it is time to order engine gaskets,make sure that the head&manifold gaskets are appropriate to the later engine. The original engine would have been fitted with a single outlet exhaust manifold, the later engines had the dual pipe exhaust as fitted on PI cars. The manifolds are interchangeable. I also should have mentioned that the head is from a later car, but the block may or may not be.

Berry

Edited by dingle

Hi Magnus

Welcome to the forum

Great choice of colour or maybe I am biased? :P

I am probably your nearest TR6 owner & would be only too pleased to meet up. ;) If you like Chrome, Stainless Steel & Stone guards (others call them Mudflaps) I can certainly help you. :o

The first thing to get sorted is a secondary bonnet release, much can be found on this subject on the Forum & with in the last two weeks a member is selling another batch so get in quick, this is the one to have!! :)

I have had my 6 for over 11 years now so I would be only to help in your ownership in anyway I can. :rolleyes:

The Birmingham Group meet the Second Tuesday of the month in Halesowen there are quite a few fellow 6 owners we are a friendly bunch B)

Cheers

Mike B)

Hi Magnus

Welcome to the TR 6 world, nice looking car, I am in Leamington but spend time with the Birmingham Group and Mike 3739 (known as Mr Bling) in particular, sounds like you have identified plenty of jobs to do already and plenty of suggestions and help above.

You will find the Forum a very helpful place and I would suggest you use the search function on here as there are loads of previous threads on most 6 jobs!

Happy to help in any way I can and to suggest some of our ;ocal suppliers etc

Cheers