TR6 Surrey Top.

Good Evening everyone,

As you may observe, this is my first post, so please be gentle with me! I have been a tr member since the early nineties when I acquired my first tr, a tr2 (ts1067) which was pretty much a basket case, the restoration was finally completed earlier this year, what a joy! Having cleared up in my garage I found a car sized space and decided to fill it with another tr! This time a tr6 (cp75254).

I have been a forum voyuer for sometime, and enjoy immensely the banter and the topics, even mudflaps!

Anyhow, to get to the meat of my topic, the present mrs Bob is spending a fortune on hairspray, and in an effort to make considerable savings are considering a Surrey top, which I have observed on some tr6's when at Malvern earlier in the year. So, I appreciate that these were made for tr4,4a and 5, and that the rear deck shape of the 6 is not the same, what is involved in making one fit? Also, the originals are ridiculously expensive, I have observed Grp ones, with rear glasses and surrounds marketed by Moss and the like, what are these like, and do they fit? Has anyone actually fitted one and can therefore give an honest opinion of how good or otherwise this conversion can be.

Background.jpg

This part was not hard to fit. It's Fiberglass with a triplex glass window

Made by:

100_1213.jpg

These "studs" give you latitude for mounting:

Surreytodeck.jpg

However I didn't find that the air hitting the back and top of my head was all that much reduced, certainly not worth buying for that purpose alone.

The rear of the cockpit of the 5 and 6 are identical (where it matters) and possibly the 4A too. As others have said, it fits no problem.

However, unless you really like the look (and I do), it is a very expensive solution to save the wife's hair do. A Breezebreaker or even a Christian Dior headscarf would be a cheaper option :D

Many thanks for your replies guys, I had heard a few horror stories about build quality and getting a level of fit that enabled the windows to wind up and afford the same, or better weather protection that a hood would.

Poolboy, I think your Surrey looks fantastic on your car, and yes the hair thing is a bit tongue in cheek, we do both like the look. This with the fact that the car needs replacement weather equipment anyway has prompted us to explore this possibility.

Remember you will also need a new hood-frame. This is a simple thing and you could make it up probably.

Also on a 4A the top of the windscreen frame has a different aluminium finisher. This is because the hood leading edge locks under it rather than the hood-frame being clamped down. This may also be the case on a TR6 I dont know.

Al.

Moss London do keep new ones though they do need careful alignment of the forward lip to allow engagement of the leading edge of the soft section properly. ;)

Stuart.

Surely you are able to use the front header rail from you original TR6 hood and mate it to the Surrey frame thereby saving the agro of phaffing about with a 4A screen capping - and at least you know the soft Surrey section won't fly off at anything about 40mph?

Just a thought.............

Cheers

Andrew

Surely you are able to use the front header rail from you original TR6 hood and mate it to the Surrey frame thereby saving the agro of phaffing about with a 4A screen capping - and at least you know the soft Surrey section won't fly off at anything about 40mph?

Just a thought.............

Cheers

Andrew

Yes you can but you need to know how to do it properly ;) and you would need a custom made soft section.

Stuart.

th_IMG_0012.jpg

The original threaded inserts in the rear deck will need to be drilled out and an additional hole formed in the deck filler section, other then that it was very straight forward fitting it to the 6.

As Stuart points out ,the lip on the 4 capping is a pig to get the surrey into and I have had ocasions when it has popped out at speed

Not a very pleasant experiance !!

I intend to make a modification and fit the 6 header rail and modify the surrey frame to connect in the corner as Revingtons mod.

Cheers

Mark

I had none of those problems, no drilling out inserts or additional holes using the Microplas backlight frame. The TR4 capping went on fine; I was careful aligning it before I pop riveted it in place.

I best not state the speed but my top stayed tucked in mile after mile.

The TR4 capping went on fine; I was careful aligning it before I pop riveted it in place.

I best not state the speed but my top stayed tucked in mile after mile.

Presumably that was an original one, its the repros that can be a problem.

Stuart.

Honeybourne Mouldings also make them £270 for the rear backlight and £240 for the lid they have a web site.

Unit 21/Waterloo Ind Est/Waterloo Rd Alcester

B50 4JH

01789 774 603

Rob

• 1 year later...

Hi I am going to fit a surrey top to the six as the roll over bar makes hood folding a pain.

I have been trawling through the forum for info and possible problems, (thanks all).

Due to the price and scarcity of the original and the fact it will be fitted to a six I am looking at a fibreglass one.

I have found two makers on the forum, Honeybourne mouldings and Micro Plas Mouldings Ltd. Can anyone recommend either or is there much difference?

Many thanks

After a look on the web there are two Micro plas moulding companies listed neither make fibreglass parts, so is this company no longer trading?

Edited by Damson6

I think you will find that Honeybournes are the only ones supplying now.

Stuart.

post-8849-0-90788000-1398689853_thumb.jpgpost-8849-0-54760800-1398689909_thumb.jpgI wondered about putting a backlight on my 6, but didn't think the curves looked right. As I had a good TR6 hard top I have instead cut and fixed a sliding rag top itno that, similar to a Webasto, but purchased from America for £500 including shipping and taxes. Was pretty easy to fix and most people think it looks good. The good thing about it is that it can be opened from a small crack to a 2' opening very quickly and even whilst going along if it starts to rain! Will hopefully be much better for travelling as it gives better luggage space than the soft top. Pictures attached when just installed.

attachicon.gif2014-03-26 20.35.11.jpgattachicon.gif2014-03-26 20.34.59.jpgI wondered about putting a backlight on my 6, but didn't think the curves looked right. As I had a good TR6 hard top I have instead cut and fixed a sliding rag top itno that, similar to a Webasto, but purchased from America for £500 including shipping and taxes. Was pretty easy to fix and most people think it looks good. The good thing about it is that it can be opened from a small crack to a 2' opening very quickly and even whilst going along if it starts to rain! Will hopefully be much better for travelling as it gives better luggage space than the soft top. Pictures attached when just installed.

Nice, takes me back to my first car, Red J reg Capri 1600 GT with black Webasto roof :-)

I estimate the wind reduction at ~ 70% with the windows up ( Your Mileage May Vary, tall gents! ) and conversation is easy at or below 60 mph. Windows down there's no real difference to the standard convertible wind-wise.

The soft top stays in place on mine unless over 60 mph in the rain; if I have to exceed this speed I found opening the window slightly stops the lift effect responsible.

Two reasons why I wouldn't fit one to my Six.

1) The curved Surrey to doesn't look right on the Karmann design. (Looks good on the Michelotti cars). I know that's amatter of opinion but deep down we all know it's true!

2) As a wind reducer it is less effective than the (far cheaper) devices that fit behind the seats.

Edited by andymoltu

Thanks all for your opinions, way back in the 70's I saw my first 6 with a surrey and I thought it looked good. My second car was a Herald and I fitted a 12/50 sunroof to that (the local agent was overstocked and I think I paid £15 for the kit, late 60's) It was great in the front seats but back seat passengers took a battering, not a problem in a 6 I know.

I did have a steel hard top on the first six I owned in the 70's but didn't like it much plus it was a sod to lift off and on. So needing something to change, modify, alter, as I need to have something to do in the garage, and as I mentioned hood folding is a pain , so I am going for the compromise of a surrey top.

So hobsons choice then and I will get one from Honeybourne mouldings, so if anyone has fitted one of these please let me know what your opinion of them is?

Many thanks.