TR6 Surrey Top.

Just an observation but I find that fitting and removing the fabric Surrey top is a lot more bother than raising and lowering a full soft top. It can be made easier with the expensive front fitting from a supplier in Somerset but you're still faced with the rear bolts (although I use studs there). Maybe I'm just ham fisted. That said the Surrey is nice and the hard top panel is great for winter.

Edited by peejay4A

How strange! I got a Open top car to have the wind in me hair!...Oh that's where it went then! :rolleyes:

attachicon.gif2014-03-26 20.35.11.jpgattachicon.gif2014-03-26 20.34.59.jpg As I had a good TR6 hard top I have instead cut and fixed a sliding rag top itno that, similar to a Webasto, but purchased from America for £500 including shipping and taxes. Was pretty easy to fix and most people think it looks good. The good thing about it is that it can be opened from a small crack to a 2' opening very quickly and even whilst going along if it starts to rain! Will hopefully be much better for travelling as it gives better luggage space than the soft top. Pictures attached when just installed.

I bought my TR5, with Surrey back, in 1997. The previous owner had a Webasto type sunroof fitted into the Surrey hard top that came with it. He'd then had the rest of the roof covered in vinyl around the sliding sunroof. Reminded me of my 1970/80s Cortina repmobiles where the vinyl roof was regarded as a status symbol.

I've still got the TR5 and have only had this hardtop on for one day with the Surrey in all that time, preferring the soft top if I drive with the car closed.

I'll try to dig it out and post a photo.

Thinking about it I might put it on for this weekend. The car will be on the TR Register Club display at the Donington Historic Festival.

Dave McD

Before I put the rag top in my hard top, I had a wind breaker fitted and with my soft top down and it did make a lot of difference. However it also severely restricted the rear view, but I was able to fold it flat with the soft top up and it acted as a parcel shelf.

Pete

Pete

I have been considering something similar to you. I have a hard top I am restoring and a NOS Britax sunroof that looks to be the same dimensions as yours (? 34").

A few questions please - does the large cut out weaken the hardtop and/or cause problems with water ingress? I saw a green TR6 somewhere with a hardtop containing a much smaller Britax sunroof and wondered if this would be better. There is a firm in Ely that supply parts for Britax sunroofs that would shorten the roof for me. Was it difficult to cut out the aperture and did you have to do this with the top on the car? How did you manage the headlining? Does the visor get in the way with the roof shut? I had a GT6 with a sunroof and the visor was a real pain when the roof was closed.

Thanks

David

Thanks for all the input.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience or opinions on the Honeybourne Mouldings top?

They are fine, they are also now available in black again as they have refurbished the moulds. Its the only sensible way to get a Surrey top now as original prices are stratospheric

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart

I think this is the way to go as not only is the hood difficult to errect and fold due to the MX5 seats and roll over bar the hood windows are going again, second hood in three years (each from a different supplier).

Will try a different aproach to the soft top part when I get the backlight?

Derek