MUD FLAPS ON A 6????????

Hi all.

Having just got my 6 back from the paintshop,and whilst I am re-fitting it,I was thinking of what it would look like with mudflaps :unsure: "To protect the new paint!!"

I cant say as ive really noticed any 6's at shows with them on,but I wasnt looking,or they were not obvious!

Should I fit 'TRIUMPH' logo'd flaps,or,ive seen some chrome ones that may look nice :) or naff!! :huh:

Should I fit front and rears, or just rears,or none at all ?????

Anyone got them fitted?? I welcome your thoughts

Show me a pic or 2 so I can decide!! :P

Am off to Stoneleigh this w/end,I need a few little odds and sods,stainless nuts,bolts,screws,poppers etc.

I am going to refit eng and box on sat,and with luck will fire it up. :D

Cheers Dave

I was thinking of what it would look like with mudflaps :unsure: "To protect the new paint!!"

Come on Dave, mud flaps on a TR6, you’ve got to be kidding; I know they make them but I didn’t realise anyone actually fitted them! I’ve never personally seen a 6 with them fitted but IMHO, any sort of mud flap (& the chrome ones have got to be the worst) is going to “look absolutely & totally naff”!

The TR6 is one of the last of the true, hairy chested sports cars, I can understand you wanting to be protective of your new ‘paint job’ but what do you want to be doing with mud flaps? It’s not a restored 60’s Mini, forget it & get your chest wig out!

P.S. Before I upset others, there’s nothing wrong with 60’s Minis, it’s just that I seem to remember most of them had mud flaps!

...........................any sort of mud flap (& the chrome ones have got to be the worst) is going to “look absolutely & totally naff”!

Hi Richard

Feast yer eyes on these beauties then. How naff is that? :huh:

I had the same idea as Dave when my 73 TR6 was resprayed after its restoration in 1984; how misguided was I? :wacko:

BUT, it was the 80s after all, and I was only 27! :D

Cheers

Andrew

Hmmmmmmm. Would suggest going the whole hog : Whitewalls, white hood, luggage rack, TR250 decals, badge rail (front & rear), Union jack rear decals, USA rubber overriders etc.

hope this helps :-)

Jesus H christ NO,NO,NO!!!!!!! :o

A Luggage rack yes,but as for the rest!! :wacko::blink:

I've got a set from 1980 which has done ~ 100,000 miles and will likely be transferred back to the emerging project. These fasten without drilling into the sheet metal and have no logo or other markings, just black and not very noticeable as they blend with the tyres when viewed from the rear, and are very thin so as to virtually disappear when viewed from the side. I concur with the foregoing opinions about appearance so a discreet aspect is much appreciated! They have done a perfect job of protecting the rear quarter panels from paint removal which inevitably occurs if the car is driven. Too bad I can't find their equivalent today :(

I've never had any in front; splash coverage is ample in the original design with the undercoating below the trim strip catching what escapes the wheel well.

The last unprotected place is the leading surface of the rear quarter as it flares into the wheel arch - this gets abraded by grit thrown back from the front tyres ( as the TR2/3 designers reckoned when they put the alloy trim thereon ).

Dave

I never realised there was such bad feeling about mud flaps. It's been an eye opener.

I have recently fitted a pair from Moss to the rear; only to find out that Triumph fans are probably laughing at me.

A friend of mine has them on his Memosa TR6 and I thought they looked quite good.

Mine are the black plastic ones with the triumph laurel. Due to the profile of the rear wing they swoop back at quite an angle and are quite rigid. They are set quite high so they dont drag on the floor. If they sit too low you can rip them off when reversing up to kerbs.

When it comes to putting extras on cars I normally cringe. I have always prefered the factory look.

I put them on really to give that 70s feel, not to stay away from it. I'm sure every one has something cheesy on their 6. One persons Cheese is another persons Stilton.

And before any one suggests it, I have not got one of those sparkmatic earthing strips hanging from the rear bumper.

Dave, when I get a chance I will take a photograph of the Mud flaps for you.

Like the little films on your photo album by the way

Its true to say that the place on my car that has most paint chips is the lower rear side wings below the bumpers.

John

Edited by JOHN'S TR6
And before any one suggests it, I have not got one of those sparkmatic earthing strips hanging from the rear bumper.

how about a chain hanging down from the chassis instead of an earth chain? Not seen one of those for years!

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Dave - Mud flaps, ugh But like you I thought I had to do something to stop those stones flying around and bouncing off my paintwork. You just can't avoid those occasions when you suddenly come across a road that they have just re-surfaced with it's hot sticky tarmac and loose chippings flying all over the place. So ( perhaps this will invite some flack ) I fitted some wheel arch spats. They are originally for the rear of a Ford Puma. You have to cut off the moulded rubber bracket so that they will fit flush on the rear. Then (arrrgh small holes) stainless steel nut/bols, paint and then some RTV and they should be rust/waterproof. I hope so. Anyway they work and I don't think look out of place or are that noticeable. I've fitted them to the rear wheel arch as well. Pictures attached - not brilliant pictures but you should get the idea.

Best/Bill

Edited by Bill Bourne
  • 8 years later...

What you need are Stoneguards to protect paintwork on your sills. Stainless Steel with rubber backs so you don't hear the rubbish thrown off the front wheels.

Cheers

Mike B)

For those with a weak heart......look away now :o

Mud Flaps..........++++++++++++

Mini Headlights....Have you tried asking for sealed beams in Austria?

T/Stag Tail pipes....Better than something that looks like they've escaped from a snake pit.

Rear Fog light.

Hazard lights.

Fuel Injection and Overdrive badges.

Ali fuel tank.

Passenger side door mirror.

Wheel beauty trims.

Black wheel centers caps instead of grey.....they look better.

Single Red instead of Magnolia.

There's probably more but can't think of any.....Oh yes!! :D ....K&N air filter.

Last year a round trip to France, Austria, Switzerland, Italy & Stelvio + Other passes in the Dolomites, back into Austria and over the Grossglockner Pass, Germany, Belgium, back into France then home.

This year a round trip through France, Belgium, Germany, Austria (Vienna) then back through Germany & France then home.

Personally, I don't give a toss......Think i'll look for some MG stickers next :lol:

PILKEY, not very good photo but might give you an idea.

Dave

post-11477-0-12149500-1469993746_thumb.jpg

post-11477-0-97305200-1469993784_thumb.jpg

Mine had then fitted and Clive refused point blank to show me the car unless the owner (Bob) took em off. They are in the boot and i may fit then 'to protect the paint' but them I did have these fitted to my merc!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/252175484526?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=9045997&poi=&campaignid=207297426&device=c&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=aud-133395220626%3Apla-142413570786&adtype=pla&crdt=0

Wonder if you can get them for Triumphs!

Mine had then fitted and Clive refused point blank to show me the car unless the owner (Bob) took em off. They are in the boot and i may fit then 'to protect the paint' but them I did have these fitted to my merc!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/252175484526?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=9045997&poi=&campaignid=207297426&device=c&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=aud-133395220626%3Apla-142413570786&adtype=pla&crdt=0

Wonder if you can get them for Triumphs!

They do them for Jaguars.

Cheers

Mike B)