Thermostatic radiator blind

Roger,

If it were me I’d use a wiper motor. I’ve used them for loads of things.

One of my Burlington customers made a picnic table that slid out from under the dashboard using a wiper motor as a power source. Similar to a blind, but just in a different plane.

You could use levers to increase the movement distance of the slidy bit in the motor. You just need a spring wound around the roller to wind it back to the top.

You might even be able to incorporate a wheel box and a wiper arm to pull the blind down. (Don’t forget that you have a choice of wheel angles in the motor, so you could fine tune it in 5 degree steps.)

Have you considered the problems of the wind rushing through the front of the car though as you travel at speed? It would press the thin blind material onto the radiator. Then as the blind went up (I assume that it will be operated via a thermostat.) it would get ripped to pieces on the radiator fins.

Of course, by the time you get it working to perfection, it will be summer!

Have fun

Charlie.

P.S. why do you need a blind anyway ?

Hmmm, good question.

The cooling on my car has always been good. So in the Summer it runs very well. This Summer I left the 82' thermostat in place and it was happy.

However this cold snap has shown that the heater is less happy than previous years. The temp gauge is definitely down a touch.

Most years I blank off part of the rad and all is well.

A while back I got to thinking about a 'neat' vertical blind similar to the RR as mentioned.

However time is of the essence and so I was going to cobble something together but then it grew.

So I am going to have a dabble and see what comes out. I know what I want and it is not complicated but it could be simply pointless

Roger

Hi Charlie,

not using the 60's, 70's roller blind (that was my first thought) but a very substantial BMW E46 plastic/rubber/Ferro Concrete construction.

On the BMW, and Ford, they are closed at speed to smooth the airflow at the front of the car. I think there should be no problem there.

Roger

It is nice to be lucky now and then.

When I bought the Thermo rad blind I had no clue of how big it is/was.

Well it is 17" wide Including a vertical operating shaft. The Rad is 17" wide

The blinds/blades run 15" down the moulding and the Rad is 19" - but I didn't want to cover the bottom few inches.

The only poor point is that the blinds/blades rotate about their centreline. This means that the rear edge of the blind/blade moves backwards towards the rad apprx 30mm

This shouldn't be a great problem but it keeps one on ones toes (that was posh)

Before I start hacking away I will need to remove a SS rad cowl.

I can see if I ever want to use this rad cowl I will need to redesign the blind. But that is another episode for a warm day.

Roger

Roger,

I should have read your post better.
I’ve since looked up the BMW Venetian blind. Excellent value by the look of things.

Another alternative power source would be an RC servo motor. “Tower Pro MG9805” is a good example that I’ve used for powering life sized human automata. The motors are small, easy to control and incredibly strong (Stall torque 25kg/cm).

They also come with an arm which can be easily connected via a piece of large diameter piano wire to any arm/wheel on the blind.

Charlie.

Hi Roger, I've only just stumbled across your thread. I actually had a brand new one of these rad blinds for a TR which clipped into the radiator with just 4 tags and was worked by a push pull Bowden cable. I cant think what I did with it. I might have sold it to Conrad when I had a garage clear out. if so maybe he still has it?

hoges.

First thing you need to know is how the vacuum supply operates the shutters - does it need Vacuum to hold closed, so if the vacuum fails the blinds open? - Fail Safe?

If you go down the vacuum control route think about one of these vacuum storage tanks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Vacuum-Storage-Tank-Reservoir-1312762-11611312762/291914397382?epid=1572824760&hash=item43f77436c6:g:3ZYAAOSw8w1YBVjH

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Touran-2005-Vacuum-Reservoir-Tank-Bottle/253297550573?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49568%26meid%3D4bbb99834fb24535b140652c8e130364%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D291914397382&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Then all you will need is a NRV for the manifold tapping https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-SERVO-INLINE-NON-RETURN-VALVE-EBS5-/401342582229

and a solenoid operated vacuum tap. Plus pipes of course.

Have Fun!

Peter W

Ha Ha - this is crazy. I have a daft idea and all of a sudden everybody on the forum is batting for me.

Even the Chairman has chipped in.

Regarding the operation.

It has to fail safe - open. Otherwise we turn into a steam engine.

My first (hopefully last) Idea is to use a solenoid to hold the blades closed under normal running.

When the Leccy Rad Fan cuts in the solenoid drops out and airflow is available. There will be an override switch.

Must dash, lots to do B)

Roger

Hi Ian,

I think you will find I do actually produce lots of wind. :oB)

Roger

And hot air..........

I wish you lot would stop encouraging him in his mad-cap ideas which he always seems to manage to have on the run up to Christmas.

Someone will be asking him to build a Stylophone for their kids again next, just a week before Christmas.

Not an original Stylophone, wow, put me down for 2.

Might be better to not get Rolf Harris to do the promotion this time round! ????????????

https://youtu.be/aebmbzU-nKg

Edited by potts4a

there dam clever those blind Venetians. I used to do a lot of exhibition work for Expelair and they had a range of extractor fans that had a cowling with horizontal flaps operated by a solenoid...

If you want to resort to a panel to just put in (like your cardboard) may I suggest Foamex. I use a lot of this material. it comes in 1,2,3,5,10mm thick and colours. You can cut it with a knofe, heat bend it, machine it and it loves super glue!.

I have a strip of black 3mm stuffed up the front of the Mk1 MR2 at the moment and its doing a fine job. I can put some aside for you Roger if you want....still there no piss taking to be had with this solution,,,,,

post-1366-0-19135900-1513270272_thumb.jpg

Hi Folks,

the solution is coming together very nicely.

I have been very lucky so far in that the BMW E46 rad blind is a reasonably close fit to the 4A radiator.

I have trimmed away most of the side and top reinforcing. It is now apprx 30mm deep compared to 100mm or so.

It should be fairly easy to attach it to the radiator - x4 clamps.

I have worked out the operation.

I will be keeping it as simple as possible - lets face it we do not want a complicated solution when there isn't actually a problem.

The blind will naturally sit with the blinds open (fail safe position).

When the ignition is turned on the blinds will shut (engine cold or there abouts) with the aid of a solenoid.

If/when the Rad fan comes on the solenoid will power down and the blinds spring open.

The rad Fan over ride and blind Over ride switches will have the same affect.

The Rad Fan over ride will have a 5 minute timer so that it doesn;t stay on.

Tomorrow I will attach the blind to the radiator.

Monday I should receive the solenoid.

With a following wind and fair weather it should be up and running by Tuesday.

Will it work - who cares, it's an adventure.

Roger

Hi Hamish,

here are a few pics.

They don;t show it too well but gives a rough idea.

The attachment of the blind to the rad is very simple/crude at present but it is just to give a feel for its effect.

Attached in the four corners with either an M5 or self tap screw.

The blind frame is about 3/4" wider than the rad frame but doesn't look overly big.

Roger

post-4113-0-71984100-1513440847_thumb.jpg

post-4113-0-58167000-1513440855_thumb.jpg

post-4113-0-33510300-1513440863_thumb.jpg