Rebuilt engine not running

Hi all - I'm admitting defeat and asking for help (this is akin to asking for directions)

I've rebuilt the engine in my '6 and cannot get it to run properly, if it starts it farts and bangs and doesn't rev. properly.

It has a new fuel pump and pressure regulator, the MU has been overhauled, reset and retimed and all the injectors appear to be functioning correctly and butterflys set

Compressions are between 170 & 175psi.

New plugs (N9YC) points, distributor  cap & leads, coil and static timed to 11 deg.

I've gone over it several times resetting and checking everything.

The only thing I can think now is I've got the valve timing out by a tooth, is it possible that it will start and run very roughly this way or have I missed something?I'm

Any help could make an old man very happy!

Cheers Neil

Manifolds set level and synced?

Stuart.

Given compression, cam timing likely to be OK. Being a tooth out probably not enough to make it spit and bang, merely move the power band up or down the rev range.

Ignition timing - is that 11degrees btdc on the correct side of the distributor cam lobe? It's easy to put it at 11 after or rotate the dizzy the wrong way so you are on the closing ramp of the cam.

Have you got the firing order correct?

Butterflies mis-aligned butterflies or manifold air leak.

Metering unit being mis-timed probably isn't enough to explain this. If injectors are spraying you probably have adequate fuel pressure but no harm in checking it.

Fake plugs? **** condensor, cap or rotor arm? CP (3ohm) coil in a CR (1.5ohm) car?

My guess it its firing at 11 After TDC, as in Andy's post above. Especially if the farts and bangs are in the exhaust.

Peter

Sounds to me like badly wrong timing. All the other suggestions here would certainly contribute to rough running, but not (I think) to the extent of farting and banging. To repeat and add to what's been said so far: have you checked that TDC as marked on the pulley is *really* TDC? Is static timing 11 BTDC and not 11 ATDC? Have you got the firing order correct (1-5-3-6-2-4)? My Leyland manual has 6&4 transposed... And do you have a spark on all plugs?

Please do make sure you report back on progress. We always learn something.

Good luck,
John

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

Have you got the firing order correct (1-5-3-6-2-4)? My Leyland manual has 6&4 transposed... And do you have a spark on all plugs?

Good luck,
John

Yes i got caught out by this several years ago. Spent hours checking everything.

Some miss print.

On 4/11/2024 at 11:57 PM, JohnC said:

Sounds to me like badly wrong timing. All the other suggestions here would certainly contribute to rough running, but not (I think) to the extent of farting and banging. To repeat and add to what's been said so far: have you checked that TDC as marked on the pulley is *really* TDC? Is static timing 11 BTDC and not 11 ATDC? Have you got the firing order correct (1-5-3-6-2-4)? My Leyland manual has 6&4 transposed... And do you have a spark on all plugs?

Good luck,
John

Have the injector fuel lines been properly bled and you can feel strong pulses?

Bruce.

Pat on the back all those who said it was the timing - I had it set at 11deg. btdc, set it to 11deg. atdc. and it fired up correctly!

I feel like a proper numpty for not noticing this.

No excuse not starting to paint it now.

Thanks again for all your help!

Cheers  Neil

1 hour ago, Xmas6 said:

Pat on the back all those who said it was the timing - I had it set at 11deg. btdc, set it to 11deg. atdc. and it fired up correctly!

Cheers  Neil

Result! However, you meant it WAS set at 11 deg atdc but NOW corrected to 11 deg btdc.

Tim

17 hours ago, tim hunt said:

Result! However, you meant it WAS set at 11 deg atdc but NOW corrected to 11 deg btdc.

Wot he sed

On 4/18/2024 at 3:09 PM, Xmas6 said:

Cheers  Neil

Definitely not a numpty Neil, we have all been stuck at some point not being to see the wood for the trees. That's the great thing about this forum, loads of members willing to help out other enthusiasts enjoy their hobby. My 3a has been back on the road 10 years now, without this forum it would be still in bits !

cheers

Alan

On 4/18/2024 at 11:09 PM, Xmas6 said:

Why do you think I was so sure it was a timing issue? I rebuilt the engine on my 6 20yrs ago and can attest to the fact it will run backwards... :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

Why do you think I was so sure it was a timing issue? I rebuilt the engine on my 6 20yrs ago and can attest to the fact it will run backwards... :rolleyes:

............and upside down.

22 hours ago, Peter Cobbold said:

...........and upside down.

You've explained it! It was Coriolis Effect :D