bonnet noise damping solutions

Hello Gentlemen,

All problems fixed, all improvements implemented ... so whats next ?

I love the TR bonnet, however think is is not very well developed considering noise and vibration aspects. I therefore think about applying some noise damping mats.

I am just reluctant to  glue them in, hence think about a magnetic solution. I am wondering if such solutions are available on the market. As an alternative, I have discovered magnetic foil which could be attached to a standard noise damping mat. The assembly could then be attached under the bonnet and would be nicely removable any time....

Just a thought... Any ideas or input welcome

Cheers

Oliver

I like the idea of magnetically fixed sound proofing.   There is always a question though.

How good is the adhesive between the magnetic foil and the damping material?    

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Oliver

i know some of the folk who do the clubs speed championship use magnetic number backgrounds that my be of some use. 
perhaps demon tweeks or somewhere similar could help.

biggest anti rattle on the tr3 bonnet is securing the bonnet stay tightening the hinge nut and a good securing rubber.

You should also consider that the sound proofing material will also cause the engine heat to be held in more. Heat dispersal is always an issue with these cars. Just a thought.

Paul

Magnetic vinyl as used in the sign industry does have a very good pull, but ensure that you buy the correct grade. From memory there are 2 qualities, one is .6mm thick and the vehicle grade is .9mm thick. They will take contact adhesive well but again make sure it is heat resistant. There are also roll adhesives that would  do the job. Your local sign shop should be able to supply you with magnetic sheets with adhesive applied to your spec, something like 3M 468.

Cheers,

Tim

My race truck, the TRansit, is liveried up with ""Silverback Racing" signs that are magnetic.  Easy to apply on a flat surface but maybe not if it were curved or profiled.  And they do not fall.off!

John

image.png.59ad36afd197bafc76eff1fe406948e0.png

Van with livery.jpg

Edited by john.r.davies

Oh, and also put 25mm radius corners on each sheet.

Tim

... And take them off from time to time. Don't do as I did - get lazy and leave them on. Now my wife's business sings are stuck on, possibly for ever. And she's gone and retired!

Cheers, Richard

Oliver,

My home made sidescreens don’t have a metal frame inside the lower part so I had to work out a way to keep the very rear of that part attached to the car body (the rest of it attaches to the door with LTD clips.)

I used powerful small round magnets (100s on eBay) bolted through the material using M3 countersunk screws with a washer and dome nut on the outside. (Just to look nice.)

The ideal may well work for your sound deadening sheets. You would need one magnet about every 9 inches around the edges and a few in the middle (to stop it flopping down.)

I think you may have a couple of problems using the magnetic sheet mentioned earlier. The sound deadening material is quite a bit heavier (per sq ft) than the signs it is meant for and I think it would drop down under it’s own weight. Especially as there are slight 3D curves under the bonnet instead of nice flat van sides.

Also I would guess you would use a contact adhesive to glue the two materials together and I think the engine heat would soon soften it to the extent that it would fall apart.

Charlie

IMG_0739small.jpg

IMG_0744small.jpg

I would hesitate to use anything magnetic, the reason being that I used to use a couple of magnetic strips, the type usually seen in commercial kitchens for holding knives etc, on the inside of the back doors of my van. Very useful for holding screwdrivers etc. However it was not long before the shape of the magnets on the inside could be seen on the outside as they attracted minute particles of metal, presumably cast iron from brake drums and discs, which started to rust. Also could not be simply rinsed away with a hosepipe without first detaching the magnets from inside the panel.

Just a thought,

Ralph

19 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I would hesitate to use anything magnetic, the reason being that I used to use a couple of magnetic strips, the type usually seen in commercial kitchens for holding knives etc, on the inside of the back doors of my van. Very useful for holding screwdrivers etc. However it was not long before the shape of the magnets on the inside could be seen on the outside as they attracted minute particles of metal, presumably cast iron from brake drums and discs, which started to rust. Also could not be simply rinsed away with a hosepipe without first detaching the magnets from inside the panel.

Just a thought,

Ralph

I agree with Ralph, back in the late 80s we had magnetic signs on our vans with the same problem. Rust particles eaten into the paintwork.

Back in2013 I stuck these self adhesive sound deadening pads to the bonnet. still on, & have not deteriorated to any extent

49cb33aa-f3bf-41d3-82df-6a15bbc8699f.thumb.jpg.f53dba80560482907866897470133a0b.jpg  1e642eaf-879c-4cb9-ba80-1fe79aa08c22.thumb.jpg.405d9a4bab2cd60a9e93aeaf6cc3576e.jpg

Bob

10 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Blow a bit of Schutz on the panel?

I’ll get my coat.

:lol:

5 minutes ago, Hamish said:

:lol:

My TR3A was ‘done’ completely under the bonnet with spray on under seal when I bought it in ‘75.  
It took me over a week to soak/scrape it all off. 

Hello Gentlemen, 

Thanks for the tons of feedback.

I have ordered a 1,5 mm magnetic mat, which should hold 100g/mm2 according to the spec (you please do the tech conversion to your fancy system yourself :D)

Its the weight of a bar of chocolate per size of your Thumbnail, which should be sufficient for any standard noise damping mat weight.

Will further proceed and keep you posted..

Cheers

Oliver

On 4/13/2024 at 12:54 AM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Blow a bit of Schutz on the panel?

I’ll get my coat.

... hold my beer :D

21 hours ago, Moliver said:

Hello Gentlemen, 

Thanks for the tons of feedback.

I have ordered a 1,5 mm magnetic mat, which should hold 100g/mm2 according to the spec (you please do the tech conversion to your fancy system yourself :D)

Its the weight of a bar of chocolate per size of your Thumbnail, which should be sufficient for any standard noise damping mat weight.

Will further proceed and keep you posted..

Cheers

Oliver

The magnetic mat could be enough damping mass without sticking anything to it. Try it first before adding your chosen material.

(don’t use chocolate it would be a waste :ph34r:)

I’m with Bob on this one my TR3a has a sheet of “Original Dynamat” attached to the centre of the bonnet. The bonnet stay is retained by a rubber clip and the PO has also fixed on the bonnet underside a piece of rubber that the bonnet stay rests on in the closed position.

Finally alongside the bonnet lock he has placed another piece of rubber that the bonnet sits on when closed and compress’s slightly when the Dzus clips are locked.

Seems to work well.

IMG_5815.jpeg

All right, the emagnetic mat approach was not very successful. The magnetic foce was far away of the spec and of my expectations- so just sent back teh stuff.

Will now go for a adhesive daming mat approach for (two mats - structural morne nosie and air borne noise).

The rubber block pretension idea may be worth a thought and investigation....