Hello,

My 3A has no seat belts,  and no sign of any ever being fitted. I think I would like some.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Dave

Securon 500/30 is usual fitment, you will need to fit re=enforcing plates

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

thanks for the info.  You don't have any pictures of the fitment and/or the reinforcing plates do you?

Dave

===

Excelent thank you.

hopefully the Factory fitment guide will upload below, while you will be using different brackets it gives you an idea of their mounting points. I used the document as a guide for fitting retractable belts in my 3a. I originally downloaded the document from the forum

Front Page.pdf Page 1.pdf Page 2.pdf Page 3.pdf Page 4.pdf

Edited by Kiwifrog
more info
20 hours ago, dpb said:

Hello,

My 3A has no seat belts,  and no sign of any ever being fitted. I think I would like some.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, the best ‘recommendation’ I was given is don’t fit them unless you are also fitting a robust roll-over bar….

39 minutes ago, Tony_C said:

Hi Dave, the best ‘recommendation’ I was given is don’t fit them unless you are also fitting a robust roll-over bar….

I suppose it does offer a quick escape from the car.

This was is several papers a couple of days ago.

Apparently the driver only suffered minor injuries.

Would be a different story if he landed on the road or a concrete kerb instead of water. Seatbelts in our cars have limited protection in any major incident because the cars were not built with any accident protection, but they will protect you and your family from potential serious injury in a minor bump. It is the same reason I have removed the passenger grab handle on my car. 

Edited by Kiwifrog
3 hours ago, Tony_C said:

Yeah, that’s why motorcyclists don’t get hurt as much in accidents ! ! !

My god, some people who don’t believe in seatbelts will tell some tales to try and propagate their views.
Remember, seat belt law came in 1971, and many of those current cars were lacking in collapsing cell technology, Anglia, Ford Pops etc but still there was a dramatic fall in deaths and injury with seat belt fitment.

Fit seat belts, oooh and if you can a rear roll over bar, oooh and if you can a rear cockpit alloy firewall, protect yourself and your family.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
6 hours ago, Kiwifrog said:

Seatbelts in our cars have limited protection in any major incident because the cars were not built with any accident protection, but they will protect you and your family from potential serious injury in a minor bump. It is the same reason I have removed the passenger grab handle on my car.

Plus change the original rear mirror for something with non razor like edges!

5 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Fit seat belts, oooh and if you can a rear roll over bar, oooh and if you can a rear cockpit alloy firewall, protect yourself and your family

+1 !

james

Its still got the original mirror. Maybe not for much longer.

Thread drift.

Let us not forget there is a later fitment rear view mirror in the sidescreen cars(609317) that has a plastic edging not the original early type (601999) with the bare edged glass.   
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/mirror-rear-view-late-609317.html?assoc=113498

The later mirror is offset mounted on the back.   If you want it lower or taller, just rotate the mirror bit on its mount by 180 degrees.   There is noise about the stem length but rotating the head on the stem improves.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
On 4/3/2024 at 1:27 PM, stuart said:

Securon 500/30 is usual fitment, you will need to fit re=enforcing plates

Stuart.

The securon is intended for a vertically mounted reel with the swivel mounted on a door pillar above it.

Maybe a 3 point static belt like this.

https://www.holden.co.uk/p/classic_type_3_point_seat_belt.

I dont have belts so that is not a recomendation.

I have the Securon 500/30, the reel is mounted low down on the side of the wheel arch, actually mounted through the rear seat floor on my post 60,000 car, using one of the right angle brackets provided in the kit. (I don`t have the rear seat). The belt then goes up to the swivel part mounted on the top of the wheel arch where it comes easily up over my shoulder and across to the buckle arm mounted on the side of the tunnel. I picked up on one of the body mounting bolts for the lower attachment of the lap strap.

You will need at least 3 re-enforcing plates per belt, or 4 if you fasten the bottom of the lap strap through the floor.

Using the inertia reel belts does mean you can lean forward to reach the hand brake when you need to, and they recoil  out of the way when you take them off unlike the fixed type that end up dangling out of the door.

Ralph

20220731_083829.jpg

Edited by Ralph Whitaker

I have the same arrangement on my 3A but with the reel fitted higher on the inner wing as I have the rear seat plus the 30cm (or so) stalk fitted to the transmission tunnel.
As recommended by Mr Wigglesworth. Excellent solution!

james 

2 hours ago, TimG said:

The securon is intended for a vertically mounted reel with the swivel mounted on a door pillar above it.

Maybe a 3 point static belt like this.

https://www.holden.co.uk/p/classic_type_3_point_seat_belt.

I dont have belts so that is not a recomendation.

See other answers above as to why I recommended them.

Stuart.

Ralph do you have photos of the two mounting points in the floor & tunnel? Do the re-enforcement plates need welding in or are they just sandwiching the structure?

15 hours ago, TimG said:

Ralph do you have photos of the two mounting points in the floor & tunnel? Do the re-enforcement plates need welding in or are they just sandwiching the structure?

I will check later but I am sure I have a picture of the tunnel mounted stalks, as I stated before the outer mounting I used one of the body mounting bolts which is a smaller diameter than ideal, certainly smaller diameter than the bolts supplied with the seat belt kit, but at least picks up on a stronger area. I had the advantage that all my body mounting bolts were new as I had only just put the car together, however I found later that it does interfere with the seal travel with standard seats and I cannot slide my seats fully back, by about 2 inches.  As I am a shorty it doesn`t really bother me.

In an ideal world yes the re enforcing plates should be welded in to the shell for extra strength, it would certainly make fitting the belts easier, but you could drill a small hole in one or two corners of the plates and bolt them in place with a couple of small bolts, in fact I have seen some on ebay that already have a small hole in one corner. This does nothing for strength but has the advantage of holding the plates in place while you screw the anchor fittings in.

I didn`t weld mine in as the bodywork was already finish painted and trimmed, but it needed an extra pair of hands to hold the plates in place especially on the tunnel.

Will look for the photo`s later when I come back from work.

Ok I found a picture, it`s a bit hazy, but if you look closely you can see the centre stalk at the bottom of the picture mounted into the side of the tunnel, the carpets are in place but the mounting hole is about 1.5 inches up from the floor and forward of the rear heel board. Across the passenger side you can see a right angled bracket bolted to the floor with the outer body mounting bolt.

Ralph

Ralph

20201229_174357.jpg

Edited by Ralph Whitaker

FWIW when fitting belts to sidescreen cars I drill through the bottom of the front face of the rear arch, a couple of inches up and then weld the plate on the back side, this means you can use the full travel for the seat. The upper hole needs to be sited so as not to interfere with the hood frame when folded as well. The stalks go either side of the tunnel but you will find the stalk itself will probably need a twist to allow the receiver to be in the best position.

Stuart.

9 hours ago, stuart said:

...The stalks go either side of the tunnel...

But make sure your bolts are not so long that they rub on the propshaft when you go over a bump.

I learnt the hard way.:rolleyes:

Charlie