Hi Folks

I have some OD controllers for both 'A' and 'J' type OD boxers.

You manually select OD and the controller will deselect when you change gear. Or you can manually deselect back into gear.

When selecting Neutral the controller resets to the Off condition.

There is an indicator LED light with night driving dimmer controller.

The 'A' type is £45. The 'J' type is £50.

There is also a switch identical to the TR4/4A switch that will fir the 5 and 6.

I know some folk think these are a bit geeky but they do make the driving a slightly better experience.

Roger

P1070413a.jpg

10 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Folks

I have some OD controllers for both 'A' and 'J' type OD boxers.

You manually select OD and the controller will deselect when you change gear. Or you can manually deselect back into gear.

When selecting Neutral the controller resets to the Off condition.

There is an indicator LED light with night driving dimmer controller.

The 'A' type is £45. The 'J' type is £50.

There is also a switch identical to the TR4/4A switch that will fir the 5 and 6.

I know some folk think these are a bit geeky but they do make the driving a slightly better experience.

Roger

P1070413a.jpg

Not one of yours but I wouldnt be without mine.

Stuart.

Hi Roger, I might be interested in one of these for my TR5 rebuild A type O/D. Is it the same as the Revington system?  Sorry for being a bit thick, but what is the switch to which you refer?.

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure I'm totally getting the need for a logic box, what am I not getting here, over the standard set up of an on off switch and the inhibitor switches? 

Gareth

Without a logic box, changing up from OD2 or OD3 takes you to OD3 or OD4 respectively.  To go from OD2> direct 3rd means having to change gear and then operate the switch to turn the OD off.    

The logic box does the OD switching for you so you go directly from OD2  to direct third etc, much more like having a close-ratio gearbox.  The on/off switch is replaced by a momentary one, either a flick switch or push button.

Ie Without logic box :

2nd >switch on >2 OD

2OD >change gear> 3 OD.> switch off> 3rd

3rd> switch on > 3 OD

3 OD> change gear> 4 OD> switch off> 4th

4th>switch on> 4 OD

With logic:

2>flick>2 OD

2 OD >change gear>3rd

3rd>flick>3 OD

3OD>change gear>4th

4th>flick> 4 OD

Edited by RobH

Right got you, so more sequential, yeah I can see why that might be a good thing, thanks for explaining. 

Gareth

Once you try it, there's no going back !

Bob

Edited by Lebro
26 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Once you try it, there's no going back !

Bob

Exactly so, as I get a few different cars to drive I always forget that not everyone has them fitted

Stuart.

2 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

Right got you, so more sequential, yeah I can see why that might be a good thing, thanks for explaining. 

Gareth

PM sent

Roger

+1 for Rogers Logic Box works a treat.

Andy

22 hours ago, RobH said:

Without a logic box, changing up from OD2 or OD3 takes you to OD3 or OD4 respectively.  To go from OD2> direct 3rd means having to change gear and then operate the switch to turn the OD off.    

The logic box does the OD switching for you so you go directly from OD2  to direct third etc, much more like having a close-ratio gearbox.  The on/off switch is replaced by a momentary one, either a flick switch or push button.

Ie Without logic box :

2nd >switch on >2 OD

2OD >change gear> 3 OD.> switch off> 3rd

3rd> switch on > 3 OD

3 OD> change gear> 4 OD> switch off> 4th

4th>switch on> 4 OD

With logic:

2>flick>2 OD

2 OD >change gear>3rd

3rd>flick>3 OD

3OD>change gear>4th

4th>flick> 4 OD

And coming down through the gears with a logic box?

Miles

26 minutes ago, Phil Read said:

A question from someone who hates anything electrical on cars. What are they like to wire in?

Hi Phil,

on first sight all the wires ( 7 ) look daunting.  But they are colour coded and fit direct into the the car.

On the 'A' type two wires are switched over on the 6RA OD Relay.

Wires for the operating switch and Indicator LED need to be laced through the steering column loom

About 1 hours work

Forget that they are 'electric' wires - imagine they are brake pipes and it becomes easy. 

Roger

39 minutes ago, MilesA said:

And coming down through the gears with a logic box?

For most it's little different from operating the standard arrangement except you can't go direct from 4 OD>3 OD - (but then why would you want to?) 

The logic box turns OD off when you change gear, so if you are in 4 OD and just change down instead of turning OD off,  it goes direct to 3rd giving a lot more acceleration potential. 

1 hour ago, RobH said:

For most it's little different from operating the standard arrangement except you can't go direct from 4 OD>3 OD - (but then why would you want to?) 

The logic box turns OD off when you change gear, so if you are in 4 OD and just change down instead of turning OD off,  it goes direct to 3rd giving a lot more acceleration potential. 

With the arrangement of a momentary switch on the gear knob you can actually go 4/od to 3/od by keeping the button depressed when you change down. Though as you say why would you?

Stuart.

Unless I’ve missed something the question of disengaging the OD without changing gear has not been raised.

A simple touch on the momentary switch?

Very useful around here on the local roads where I very often move between 3rd and 3rd OD and back to 3rd

james

Hi James,

I don't know how other boxes do it but on mine  to come out of OD a simple touch of  the switch.

When I was in Germany, Blackforest - the straights on the hills were in 3rdOD and the hairpins in 3rd - no clutch just a simple tap of the switch  IN & OUT

Roger

26 minutes ago, RogerH said:

don't know how other boxes do it but on mine  to come out of OD a simple touch of  the switch.

That’s what I require!

ps If you wish to use my 3A at Malvern to demonstrate to all how to install your gismo, no charge. In fact I might even buy you two beers.:rolleyes:

james

No beer then.:(

I was of course winding ya up. I can do it quietly in the comfort of my own garage, when I get home!

james

Edited by james christie

Important Information

Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By using this site, you agree to the following: Terms of Use.