They finally got me

Well
After 54 years of (mainly) happy, (mainly) incident free motoring, having always paid my road tax and insurance, the bastards finally got me.

My GLc was stolen off my drive, early on Monday 19th Februay, along with the approx £1300 worth (yeh, surprised the hell out of me) of stuff in it.

The car was on Autotrader
Guy rang on Sunday to ask if he could come and see it.
Yes, said I.
2 Eastern European looking guys turned up . . . .tidy, polite and looking at a gullible git.
I never left them alone with the unlocked vehicle and kept a close eye on the both of them . . . . . I thought.
They cloned my key

Turns out I wasn't as attentive as I thought.
They had the car away whilst I was sleeping the sleep of the just.

Spent most of the following 5 days dealing with car insurer and my house insurer for (some of, it turns out) the contents.

Once we had the initial rush out of the way, I had the contents payment in under 2 week and the car and the rest of the contents paid for and te claim closed, in 36 days

It's a bugger being without a car, but, on the bright side, I've got a better car arriving on Wednesday, from Blackburn.

32 minutes ago, JohnG said:

They cloned my key

Sorry to hear that John. 

Sadly, they're well practised. Just a few seconds of distraction, and a copy is made.

It's disgraceful isn't it. Did you hand over the key at any point as in the video John? I suppose the answer is to not have the key anywhere near the car or the individuals whilst they are looking. The  car is probably in a container and on its way to Eastern Europe by now.

Edit - I would add thanks for posting and thanks Deggers for the video too - forewarned is forearmed as they say

Edited by Rod1883
3 hours ago, Rod1883 said:

It's disgraceful isn't it. Did you hand over the key at any point as in the video John? I suppose the answer is to not have the key anywhere near the car or the individuals whilst they are looking. The  car is probably in a container and on its way to Eastern Europe by now.

Edit - I would add thanks for posting and thanks Deggers for the video too - forewarned is forearmed as they say

Keys?

No

I was aware (I thought) of the danger of handing keys over, so no I didn't 

The only time a key was out of my possession was when I started the car, but, 2 guys at once are hard to watch

As for the car, yes Eastern Europe or Africa

Hi John

I think I would ask them if they would mind having their photos taken while standing in front of the car they arrived in and its number plate.

Sorry state of affairs but my Moto is trust no one who I don't know when they arrive at my house.

No doubt the police will do exactly nothing but issue an incident number. Its about time flogging was reinstated?

Glad to hear at least the insurance paid up.

Andy

9 hours ago, PodOne said:

Hi John

I think I would ask them if they would mind having their photos taken while standing in front of the car they arrived in and its number plate.

Sorry state of affairs but my Moto is trust no one who I don't know when they arrive at my house.

No doubt the police will do exactly nothing but issue an incident number. Its about time flogging was reinstated?

Glad to hear at least the insurance paid up.

Andy

Andy

Hi

They arrived on foot, which isn't strange, there's a bus stop close and the station is a 30 minute stroll away if you're fit.

Yep, you got the police right . . .a crime number over the phone, then, nothing.

I've written to my MP, has asked if she can use my email to her, when she discusses this with the PCC, but, she is honest enough to say that resources are stretched and I shouldn't expect to see any xhange, car theft is, generally, something that causes inconvenience and increased premiums rather than physical harm.

Flogging?

Greater control of borders and Immediate repatriation to France of illegals would help

I learnt something about modern car keys this week.

My wife had the metal bit that goes into the ignition lock come adrift from the bit with the buttons on her VW Tiguan, it was not a drama as I took her the spare key and all was good.

Looking at the two bits of the broken key I thought I can braze a handle on the metal bit and we have a spare key. So very pleased with myself an hour later I tried the key and it fits and turns but the dash lights up with the message " key not recognised "

Evidently it's not just the tumblers that the key operates, there is a transponder in the fob which works through the metal part also.

George 

We have a very long hedge down the side of our garden and every couple of weeks we used to get “Tree surgeons” knocking on the door offering to trim it. They occasionally became quite aggressive when I said I did it myself.

(They also seemed to always have a good look around the front of the property, no doubt looking for something to pinch.)

Since we had a Ring Doorbell fitted it has almost totally stopped. I sometimes see them walking through the front gate, noticing the doorbell, and leaving immediately.

The Ring Doorbell announces when someone approaches the front door and gives a very clear picture and voice recording of anyone there.

At least with that you would have a picture of anyone who came to look at the car, and if they tried to evade detection it would make you suspicious.

Only downside is that our cat has learnt the trick and now walks backwards and forwards past the front door until we open it rather than walking round to the back door to use the cat-flap.

Charlie.

1 hour ago, Charlie D said:

We have a very long hedge down the side of our garden and every couple of weeks we used to get “Tree surgeons” knocking on the door offering to trim it. They occasionally became quite aggressive when I said I did it myself.

(They also seemed to always have a good look around the front of the property, no doubt looking for something to pinch.)

Since we had a Ring Doorbell fitted it has almost totally stopped. I sometimes see them walking through the front gate, noticing the doorbell, and leaving immediately.

The Ring Doorbell announces when someone approaches the front door and gives a very clear picture and voice recording of anyone there.

At least with that you would have a picture of anyone who came to look at the car, and if they tried to evade detection it would make you suspicious.

Only downside is that our cat has learnt the trick and now walks backwards and forwards past the front door until we open it rather than walking round to the back door to use the cat-flap.

Charlie.

Know what you mean about the Ring type of door bell Charlie, No1 son has one

Problem is; my front door is built into the inside corner of our "L" shaped house

We cannot put the bell push on a wall, as these are insulation wrapped and rendered, the wrap has no structural strength so will not support screws or wall plugs

Any door bell fitted to the door frame is pointing away from the area I need covered by video

No1 son is talking quite loudly, about security cameras 

Talk about stable door, horse and bolted!

1 hour ago, RobH said:

BONE.jpg.ad432bc7cf28ee2119d7ed832633ce92.jpg

Problem is, Rob, I need a dog to go with it and unfortunately, a dog ain't just for Christmas

I leave home for many a weeks jolly North and West, going to Bristol, newcastle upon Tyne and Devon (Not all on the same jolly obvs :D)

A pet of any form is a commitment I'm not able to make

Thanks for the thought though . . . . .I like the way your brain works (or doesn't as the case may be)

4 hours ago, harlequin said:

I learnt something about modern car keys this week.

My wife had the metal bit that goes into the ignition lock come adrift from the bit with the buttons on her VW Tiguan, it was not a drama as I took her the spare key and all was good.

Looking at the two bits of the broken key I thought I can braze a handle on the metal bit and we have a spare key. So very pleased with myself an hour later I tried the key and it fits and turns but the dash lights up with the message " key not recognised "

Evidently it's not just the tumblers that the key operates, there is a transponder in the fob which works through the metal part also.

George 

Yes, there is a "microchip" (same as inserted into dogs etc these days) it's called an RFID (radio frequency identification) device.

It is passive (needs no power supply) but when in close proximity to a RFID reader it collects enough energy from the signal being radiated by the reader to turn on, & reply to the digital interrogation coming from the reader. If the correct reply is received the the car can be started.

Bob

On 3/29/2024 at 1:15 PM, Deggers said:

Sorry to hear that John. 

Sadly, they're well practised. Just a few seconds of distraction, and a copy is made.

I presume this only works with the modern "keyless" cars where you keep the fob in your pocket.

Otherwise how would the ignition be turned on, & the steering lock be disabled ?

Bob

37 minutes ago, Lebro said:

I presume this only works with the modern "keyless" cars

In this case, yes. The keyless fobs are activated, and the digital information or "key" is then captured and cloned by a handheld device.

With more powerful devices, thieves don't even need to get hold of your keys at all. The information can be cloned from outside your home, while your keys are inside. 

For additional security you should put your cars key fobs in a Faraday box when in your house, and also site the box as far away as practical from front and back doors.

Edited by TR Rob
Additions
12 hours ago, JohnG said:

Andy

Hi

They arrived on foot, which isn't strange, there's a bus stop close and the station is a 30 minute stroll away if you're fit.

Yep, you got the police right . . .a crime number over the phone, then, nothing.

I've written to my MP, has asked if she can use my email to her, when she discusses this with the PCC, but, she is honest enough to say that resources are stretched and I shouldn't expect to see any xhange, car theft is, generally, something that causes inconvenience and increased premiums rather than physical harm.

Flogging?

Greater control of borders and Immediate repatriation to France of illegals would help

I wonder where all this is going to end when there seems to be that stealing property is now seen as an occupational hazard to be endured by those who pay their way and contribute to the policing of society. As it is folk are forced to pay extra for additional security which is feeble at best. It's about time if the police refuse to act and the laws are not made severe enough to deter that people should be free to take their own measures to sort out the footpads. Or should we just leave our doors open?

But guess what? I bet the police would be down on you like a ton of bricks and you would end up locked up!

Stopping the RNLI taxi service would be a good start.

Andy 

1 hour ago, PodOne said:

As it is folk are forced to pay extra for additional security which is feeble at best.

This particular vulnerability is very much self-inflicted. If we as customers had insisted on having a physical mechanical key - rather than the wireless fob that no-one actually asked for but which was more-or-less forced on us by marketing - the vulnerability would not exist. 

It should not be incumbent on us to buy more preventive measures, it should be on the maker of the car not to generate the problem in the first place. 

Edited by RobH

Luckily none of my cars are new enough to have such a system,

nor have they the (dubious in my opinion) advantage of stopping the engine every time you come to a halt.

Bob

9 hours ago, PodOne said:

I wonder where all this is going to end when there seems to be that stealing property is now seen as an occupational hazard to be endured by those who pay their way and contribute to the policing of society. As it is folk are forced to pay extra for additional security which is feeble at best. It's about time if the police refuse to act and the laws are not made severe enough to deter that people should be free to take their own measures to sort out the footpads. Or should we just leave our doors open?

But guess what? I bet the police would be down on you like a ton of bricks and you would end up locked up!

Stopping the RNLI taxi service would be a good start.

Andy 

I am sure that the two who helped themselves to my car were professionals

Thieving vehicles is their full time occupation

I have contacted my MP, who does try, in all fairness, she has asked if she can use my email during her discussions with the PCC.

I said yes, but am not holding my breath.

The PCC here is up for reelection in May, he won't get my vote.

The guy at Aviva who phoned me to confirm that payment would be made within 3 working days (it was . ... .3 days), suad that the biggestbsingle reason for the huge hike in premiums this year is due, largely, to the pandemic of stolen high end vehicles

As for the RNLI, I think that immediate repatriation if those in the boats, to their place of embarkation, France, is the immediate solution

I believe all PCCs are up for election in May.  That's something else I was never asked whether I wanted.  

I intend to write to that effect on the ballot paper, as to me the post is just another pointless layer of bureaucracy. 

13 hours ago, TR Rob said:

For additional security you should put your cars key fobs in a Faraday box when in your house, and also site the box as far away as practical from front and back doors.

All my keys are kept in a steel key box, which is sited at the back of the house (in the kitchen)

The trouble is Rob, sometimes, I have to take them out

I now also have a faraday pouch

I guess with modern car electrics it is not possible to fit a battery isolator switch as on a TR because the on-board computer requires power at all times. There is the option of fitting 'ordinary' old fashioned key operated locks to all doors but that would require drilling holes in the doors. A steering wheel lock might deter them. Some cars have fibre optic cables now so fitting a manual switch into the circuitry would be a challenge. 

Maybe on an electric car there could be an option to use the extra battery power to rig up an electric shock device?

Not sure if a tracking device would help because you would be able to see your car disappear across Europe or Africa but do little about it.

It is almost as if the manufacturers have designed in the ease of theft so they can sell more cars?

Oh for the 'old days' when your car key would often fit other cars!

Keith

On my modernish BMW i checked for a blown fuse as central locking failed. Because i had stopped power to the computer it required a visit to re programe.

So a power isolator wouldn't  work.

And John the exact same happend to a friend , even with full video of visit and later theft showing the same person and drop off car it was the same just a crime number.

When recovered and dna still no action. The reaction was well think yourself lucky , you got it back with £500 damage so less than insurance excess

Roy

I wonder if it would be worth telling a “white lie” to any potential buyers by saying that the car is fitted with a tracking device that you intend to de-activate when the sale is complete?