20 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Folks,

is it possible to refill and pressurise an aerosol can once finished.

I'm thinking of Wynn's Brake & clutch cleaner.

Roger

Only if you have the right kit, usually a specific machine,

Stuart.

You not only need to get your chosen liquid (brake cleaner, paint etc.) into the can, but also the propellant, which is often propane.

You used to be able to get special re-usable ones where you used compressed air to presurise, I had one once but never found it to be very good.

Bob

Buy yourself a gallon of brake cleaner and a pump up aerosol    Like a bug or rose spray from the garden centre 

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Air won't drive an aerosol spray in the same way as Butane.  The 'triple point' of butane is a bit less than 5psi at room temperature, which means that above that pressure it is a liquid.  That means that an aerosol can charged with liquid butane will maintain a fairly constant pressure until all the butane liquid has turned to gas, so the aerosol spray is also pretty constant.

A can pressurised with air has no reservoir of pressure so it will rapidly go from a good spray to a dribble as the pressure dies. 

Edited by RobH
1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Buy yourself a gallon of brake cleaner and a pump up aerosol    Like a bug or rose spray from the garden centre 

The brake cleaner will destroy the seals quite quickly even one meant for garage use I bought didn't survive long. Anyone advise one that will last?

Gone back to aerosols for now.

Andy 

1 minute ago, jpmf said:

That's the one I had that didn't last long. Maybe I was unlucky how long has yours lasted? 

2 hours ago, jpmf said:

I bought something very similar to that from Lidl a couple of years ago. Cost me £7 I think, so maybe keep an eye out for when they have them again.

Rgds Ian

The brake cleaner is a fairly aggressive solvent, Hyperclean (as I mentioned in another thread) is less so, still does the job well, and is water soluble, so you can hose the part clean afterwards.

Bob

Edited by Lebro
3 hours ago, PodOne said:

That's the one I had that didn't last long. Maybe I was unlucky how long has yours lasted? 

What did you put in it??;)  Had mine about 6 months, not holding out much hope now :rolleyes: but they do replacement seal fits

7 hours ago, jpmf said:

What did you put in it??;)  Had mine about 6 months, notholding out much hope now :rolleyes: but they do replacement seal fits

Brake cleaner. For what they cost it buys you a lot of aerosols!

From Eurocarparrts at the moment, I bought  half a dozen cans, looked at the other stuff, 5 X litres etc, spayer and decided

at my time of life its not worth the phaff.

John.

TRIPLE QX Brake and Clutch Cleaner 600ml - New FormulaProduct Code: 542779000

£2.89.

7 minutes ago, james christie said:

I get on well with re-using window cleaner trigger operated aerosol bottles.

- I like ‘em cos they’re free.

james

I use a Lidl all purpose’s cleaner trigger spray bottle filled with soluble oil(suds) in the workshop.  They last for about 3 months then the pump fails.  By which time another has been used in the house.  And so the cycle restarts.   I tried them with brake cleaner and they fail in about 10 days.  

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject of seals being affected, this also seems to depend on the manufacturer/brand of the brake cleaner.

I use loads of it (usually buying 4 x 5 litre cans or a 25 litre drum at a time, its cheaper that way)

I usually try to get 'Holts' brand, I have faith in it.

I bought some 'Mannol' brand, and it ate 2 pump up spray bottle's seals in no time flat!

Both of them were 'garage' sprays, so described as 'solvent proof'.

I am now using up the Mannol with a brush and an old tin can........

Holts for me......!

26 minutes ago, John Bracher said:

On the subject of seals being affected, this also seems to depend on the manufacturer/brand of the brake cleaner.

I use loads of it (usually buying 4 x 5 litre cans or a 25 litre drum at a time, its cheaper that way)

I usually try to get 'Holts' brand, I have faith in it.

I bought some 'Mannol' brand, and it ate 2 pump up spray bottle's seals in no time flat!

Both of them were 'garage' sprays, so described as 'solvent proof'.

I am now using up the Mannol with a brush and an old tin can........

Holts for me......!

Hi

Many of these cleaning fluids are virtually 'White Spirit'.  This does not dry 'clean' as such and may stay wet for longer periods.

The Wynn's B&C cleaner is a serious solvent and I am sure would eat the seals etc.

Roger

28 minutes ago, michaelfinnis said:

What on earth are you guys doing with the stuff? A can lasts me ages.

Mike

You need to learn how to drink correctly :P