Crankshaft thrust bearing conversion

Hi

Just about to drop the sump and replace the thrust bearings on my ‘6, as have measured ten thou of endfloat.

It seems crazy to only incorporate half bearing shims for each side of the main, so am wondering what is involved in fitting them to the bearing cap as well.

I notice Racestorations sell complete sets of upper and lower shims, to double the thrust area. This seems a good way to go.

Does the main cap need machining to fit these?

Any experience or suggestions please.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Tom

Thanks for your reassurance.

Im more concerned about the poor service life of these half bearings, the engine was rebuilt around 30 k miles ago, and is already 2 thou over tolerance . If a simple mod can improve this, I will make it.

I don’t like poor design, all too common in the UK motor industry in that era. It’s part of the fun of ownership to include upgrades wherever possible.

cheers

Mike

Andy, they Should, but isn’t it common knowledge that Triumphs of this era suffer from premature thrust bearing wear?

Thanks Roger, can’t seem to open that link, will keep trying. Ive seen the American guys offerings of wider shims.

Mike

Edited by mleadbeater
10 hours ago, michaeldavis39 said:

So you are saying its better to put foot on clutch before you start engine to take it out of gear- then once out of gear take foot off clutch and then start engine on a Tr6?

When Starting the  engine, don't touch the clutch and out of gear.

Regards Harry

Edited by harrytr5

My thrust bearings have lasted over 50k miles (so far) since I rebuilt the engine. Tolerances were still fine when I checked recently after a total oil loss. I'm totally unconvinced an "upgrade" is necessary except to fill the pockets of the vendor, or if you think the other components will last 200k miles + (insert ridiculous number here of your choice). Of course, you may like to ride the clutch, hold down the clutch when starting, etc, in which case YMMV.
Cheers,
JC

15 hours ago, Mike C said:

Don't depress  the clutch pedal while starting- unlike most modern cars.

When starting with a depressed clutch the thrust bearings have a high loading but no oil pressure.

Thanks Mike - I’ll pop this in Tips & Tricks as I didn’t know that.

Mike-The TR6 engine was derived from the same family as the Spitfire, which also had half circle thrust washers. I am not sure if the TW were a problem on the Spit, but the stiffer clutch required on the 6 could be the cause of TW problem. Too bad the factory didn't full circle TW early in production, as the cost would have been minimal.

Anyway, I monitor the TW wear, keep my foot off the clutch when starting the engine, and have never had over .002" wear every 5 years plus. Last year, just out of boredom, I installed one of Scott Helm's bronze TW. It should outlast me.

I noticed that Scott uses a mill to machine the bearing cap to add a TW. I made a simple fixture to do in a lathe and used on an extra block, but didn't try it on my daily driver.

Berry

Berry

I like the idea of a full circle Thrust washer on the thrust side ie flywheel side. Did you machine the mains cap to suit the extra thrust washer?

Shame you did not try it.

I am in dialogue by email to Scott Helm and will buy a set off him.

Regards Harry

Hi,

Just got the blighters out, and am perplexed.  My engine had 10 thou end float, ie 2 thou over the spec, not much, but as it seems an easy and low cost fix, might as well renew them.

Both bearings are marked as standard, which, according to sources are .920” thick.

Mine measure .9325”thick, ie. theoretically +12.5

IMG_0617.thumb.jpeg.8be25be7a32d2a1879202d7bd9fc2565.jpegIMG_0618.thumb.jpeg.f66ecc96d5f959fba4744c3bcc3231ca.jpegthou oversize, so whats going on? They also look virtually unworn.

Annoyingly, the parts  suppiers, Rimmers, Moss, etc, only quote the oversize plus figure, +5, 10, etc.

So, what oversize do I order, is it plus 5 thou, or plus 15, or what?

Anyone any experience please.

Cheers.

Mike

ps sorry, the inverted photo poltergeist is at it again.

If you are measuring 10 thou clearance then +5 thou should do it fitted on the flywheel side. Then measure again. Make sure  the grooved side is facing the flywheel and the front facing the front (bearing surfaces). Racetorations does some lovely ones but only standard. I have several sizes including +20 thou which I think I got from Racetorations years ago  and look and feel the dogs do dahs.

Regards Harry

On 2/9/2024 at 6:24 AM, mleadbeater said:

Both bearings are marked as standard, which, according to sources are .920” thick.

You could always assume the sources are wrong but the stamp is correct. If they’re virtually unworn then do as Harry says. Or order a couple of spares in different sizes and mix & match until you’re happy. The postage will likely be more than the TWs themselves!

Cheers,
JC

Thanks for your replies 

Have ordered some plus 5’s, from Rimmers, will see what comes.

n.b. whilst waiting, i’ve been looking at making my own. It’s possible to buy a piece of aluminium bronze plate, 3 mm thick by 100 mm sq, so it shouldn’t be a problem to turn up some bearings on my lathe, and mill some oilways.

Mike

You can mix oversizes to get the correct end float.

If it is close, make sure you don’t go below the minimum as there is a risk of them grabbing when the engine is hot and doing serious damage.

On 2/8/2024 at 11:24 AM, mleadbeater said:

Hi,

Just got the blighters out, and am perplexed.  My engine had 10 thou end float, ie 2 thou over the spec, not much, but as it seems an easy and low cost fix, might as well renew them.

Mike, you’re off by a decimal point. Standard is 0.092” with yours 0.0932”. So you are +0.00125“.

Just received my new thrust washers , from Rimmers, very pleased.

At plus 5 thou, they measure 0.097” which agrees with my “standards “   being 0.093”, so don’t know where the quoted standard of 0.092” comes from?

Anyway , they are copper coated,  not white metal, so should last well.

If I fit one to the thrust side of the main, and a std original one to the non thrust side, my 10 thou lash will be reduced to 5 thou.

Comparing the minimum quoted lash of 6 thou for Triumph engines, to , for example the XK engine, or XPAG, which quote a minimum of 3 thou, I reckon this will be OK.

cheers

MikeIMG_0621.thumb.jpeg.995dca1cc5f11a91500d0f455788f47d.jpeg

Edited by mleadbeater