TR6 engine mounts. Who sells the ones that last and proper rubber

That was a Moss USA real world problem on their T type MG suspension rubbers many years ago.   Fit them at rebuild and 6 months later they were cracking and perished.

I used these Uprated engine mountson my stag rover v8.  

They look very similar to my tr6 ones and look to be uprated for tvrs. 

Tim

27 minutes ago, John Bracher said:

Considering how many (Triumph) cars use these mounts, perhaps one of the Polyurethane suppliers might be interested??

Can the Club ask??

Poly would be too soft, you need high Shore rubber for safety.

Stuart.

16 hours ago, John Bracher said:

Considering how many (Triumph) cars use these mounts, perhaps one of the Polyurethane suppliers might be interested??

Can the Club ask??

John,

Rimmers list p/No UKC8330poly as an alternative to the rubber UKC8330. 

The expensive Stag ones that Tim D mentions are listed as 70 shore rubber. Does anyone know what ??shore rubber the standard UKC8330 items are? 

This is something that I’m interested in having had a standard item fail on my race TR6 in a 2023 race. Uprated units for TR7 V8s made from harder/stronger rubber used to be available but haven’t been readily available for several years I believe. 
Dave McD

21 hours ago, Tim D. said:

I used these Uprated engine mountson my stag rover v8.  

They look very similar to my tr6 ones and look to be uprated for tvrs. 

Tim

Thanks Tim.

Measured up my ones when on the phone to them and measurements tally up to the TR6 originals so ordered two sets. They are manufactured in the UK using top quality materials not cheap by any means (cheap can be very dear as we know) so now fingers crossed and I am happy to support our UK  manufacturers.

That company must think their birthdays have all come together. I also rang them this morning to enquire about their mounts. 
I’ll wait until I’ve looked around Stoneleigh spares day this Sunday to see what I can locate, but if no luck there I’ll be ordering a set for the race TR6. 
Dave McD

2 hours ago, harrytr5 said:

Thanks Tim.

Measured up my ones when on the phone to them and measurements tally up to the TR6 originals so ordered two sets. They are manufactured in the UK using top quality materials not cheap by any means (cheap can be very dear as we know) so now fingers crossed and I am happy to support our UK  manufacturers.

No probs. I only found them because the rv8 conversion used tvr mounting hardware which happens to also be tr6 and they were having more issues than use with quality control on the mountains. Their engines are a little more torquey than the triumph straight 6. 

Tim

EPDM is not resistant to oil. I think it may not be an issue in this application until the mounts catch some oil…

Waldi

1 hour ago, Waldi said:

EPDM is not resistant to oil. I think it may not be an issue in this application until the mounts catch some oil…

Waldi

Luckily my rover v8 is oil tight (at the mo)

Tim

DISADVANTAGES

DISADVANTAGES

EPDM is one of the best rubber polymers, but it still has its disadvantages. While it does well in extreme temperatures, it does not possess good flame resistance. It also does not have good resistance to mineral oils or petroleum oils. If exposed to these elements for an extended period, EPDM will deteriorate. It is also difficult to make a strong rubber-to-metal bond with EPDM.

Following Waldis’ comments above I searched the internet and found the note above which confirms Waldis’ message, together with also highlighting a poor bond to metal. That doesn’t bode well for my race TR6 application where, no matter how carefully the engine is built, it seems to be impossible to avoid oil leaks. 
I’ll be thinking again on this one. 
Dave McD

4 hours ago, Waldi said:

Waldi

+1. Wouldn't work on my car. My TR has the traditional underbody rust protection system- fed through the engine/gearbox oil fillers.

https://powersperformance.co.uk/store/slug/engine-mounting-uprated-e0053ug/

Spoke to the company regarding their uprated engine mounts and they reassure me that they have been fitting these to their rebuilds with no problems at all. (yes I know they have a vested interest).  EDPM does not look good so lets see what the spec and testimonial says.

They will be sending me their spec sheet that I can post on here.

We will see.

No matter how you rebuild these Triumph engines they always leak some where and I have tried!!!!

Regards Harry

5 hours ago, harrytr5 said:

https://powersperformance.co.uk/store/slug/engine-mounting-uprated-e0053ug/

Spoke to the company regarding their uprated engine mounts and they reassure me that they have been fitting these to their rebuilds with no problems at all. (yes I know they have a vested interest).  EDPM does not look good so lets see what the spec and testimonial says.

They will be sending me their spec sheet that I can post on here.

We will see.

No matter how you rebuild these Triumph engines they always leak some where and I have tried!!!!

Regards Harry

Panic over,

Just got them and they will not fit a TR. However they will look into the possibility of making them for our TR,s. I am  sending them back for a refund and go from there.

Good Afternoon Harry 

Further to our conversation this morning, I have contacted our suppliers and obtained a data sheet on the EPDM Shore 70 rubber that we use in our engine mounts.

As you can see from the above sheet the rubber in question have a fair resistance to oil compared to that of natural or SBR rubbers, Thus being said as with most rubber products, contamination + Heat + time will equal deterioration.

Also as you can see from the data sheet the EPDM Rubber has a far superior resistance to heat  which will slow down the deterioration process if heavily contaminated. 

Tbh Harry all I can say is that we never have issues with these on the TVR’s that we rebuild or repair even when the car in question has had a, or even multiple oil leaks either in the six speed or the rover V8 engines.

And had them manufactured to the spec for that very reason.

I think the only way is to fit and test these on the Triumphs and periodically inspect for damage / wear. But I personally think these will be exactly what you have been looking for and exceed people’s expectations.

Hope this helps if there’s anything further please don’t hesitate to contact me 

Rob

Regards

Rob

TEL: +44 (0)2476 366177
FAX: +44 (0)2476 365428
www.powersperformance.co.uk

1 hour ago, harrytr5 said:

Top new.

Bottom original

20240209_142220_resized.jpg

Sorry folks for the goose chase. But not too far off for trs

Hi Harry,
Natural Rubber is not a good material to compare EPDM with for this application.
Nitrile Butadieen (NBR) would be better in this comparison, it can resist oil better than EPDM.

Question is what is the most important property:
Temperature-, oil-, fuel- sheer-resistance?
You can’t have it all.

Thinking about it from a slightly different perspective:
The rubbers most of us use on our TR’s are of a very poor grade of material as we all experience. 
Maybe a good quality EPDM, although not very resistent to fuel/oil, is a better option than our std engine mounts (if that area is not wetted with oil).

Maybe a matter of just try it.

Waldi

Thanks all, it is good to have this discussion as we all learn something. I have sent mine back along with an original and they will look into manufacturing mounts for our TR,S.

So I think I would be happy  now fitting these if they make them.

Regards Harry