Getting expensive

Just had an invitation to a village classic car show that has returned after a couple of years absence due to Covid etc. It used to be a fiver in the bucket for attendance & charity but with new organisers they are now asking for £25 entry! I am all for charity but think that the new ‘price’ is a bit steep during these challenging times? What do others think? I believe the entry includes a coffee for driver & passenger(s) but I object a little to this kind of pricing to show one’s car & help put on a Show. I think the new organisers believe that anybody owning a classic car has a large budget with oodles of spare cash. Think I will stick to the breakfast gatherings or small events that ask for £5 or £10 in the charity bucket that attract good numbers of interesting cars in a nice setting! 

That is just not on IMHO - that is akin to charging the actors to appear in a play.  I agree that asking for a voluntary small donation for charity is fair enough but if they are out to make money it's the audience who should be paying extra.

Monty,

You may well know about it, but if not, and you are looking for a reasonably priced regular meeting not too far from you (In Worcester) try “Wheels on Wednesday” (They also have Sunday morning meetings) . I’ve been going for a few years now and it’s full of friendly people and loads of cars, quality coffee and food stalls, all for £5.50 (or it was last year.)

There’s usually 100-150 cars on show plus about as may members of the public.

I think it is a commercial enterprise, but at a reasonable price, and I don’t begrudge the organisers for making a profit.

£25 though seems greedy.

Have you noticed many of the kit car shows have disappeared now?

They fell into the trap of allowing car entry drivers free entry, after enough of them moaned about having to pay. “ Without my car there will be no show” was the comment from car owners. Still they’ve ended up with many less shows, as owners buy from the internet which reduced the number of trade outlets which attended. Check out the spec of your car and tot up the extras you’ve fitted ( because you can do what you want with your money). 4 pot calipers, wool carpet sets, bigger carbs, CV driveshafts and better hubs, alloy rocker cover on top of roller rocker sets ( that nobody can see, etc etc. I understand all these decisions are individual to each owner, as is the costings that the venues and the clubs face for large events.

Nobodies right or wrong, it’s just as it is.

Mick Richards

I guess no one is having their arm twisted to attend so you can decide what works for you and attend or not. I don’t think I’d bother at £25 a pop, but if it was my only pleasure in life I may see it differently.

…….. Andy

That practice effectively killed a really good show down here that was for a cancer hospice. It had a car show and a huge fea market attached. The flea market traders paid as obviously they were making money and the cars got in for free, Then some smart alek decided to charge the cars as well. Now its just a flea market.

Stuart.

4 hours ago, Charlie D said:

Monty,

You may well know about it, but if not, and you are looking for a reasonably priced regular meeting not too far from you (In Worcester) try “Wheels on Wednesday” (They also have Sunday morning meetings) . I’ve been going for a few years now and it’s full of friendly people and loads of cars, quality coffee and food stalls, all for £5.50 (or it was last year.)

There’s usually 100-150 cars on show plus about as may members of the public.

I think it is a commercial enterprise, but at a reasonable price, and I don’t begrudge the organisers for making a profit.

£25 though seems greedy.

Thanks Charlie, we would be up for that. Whereabouts exactly & dates?

16 hours ago, monty said:

Thanks Charlie, we would be up for that. Whereabouts exactly & dates?

Hello Monty,

Dates and venues have not been set for 2024 yet but they usually have a dozen or so meets in the summer, at various places, their main venue being Spetchley park.

There are usually 3 or 4 Trs there plus the occasional Peerless (belonging to Nigel)

It’s a good idea to sign up their news letter. No pointless spam, just reminders of the next date and venue.

https://www.wheelsonwednesday.co.uk

Charlie

Edited by Charlie D
1 hour ago, Charlie D said:

Hello Monty,

Dates and venues have not been set for 2024 yet but they usually have a dozen or so meets in the summer, at various places, their main venue being Spetchley park.

There are usually 3 or 4 Trs there plus the occasional Peerless (belonging to Nigel)

It’s a good idea to sign up their news letter. No pointless spam, just reminders of the next date and venue.

https://www.wheelsonwednesday.co.uk

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, will be there @ some stage I am sure.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2024 at 11:55 AM, brian -r said:

I agree with Rob, a downright liberty . If they charge £25 to show your car what are they charging the public? . Don't they understand no cars no show.

Bri

Just had another invitation to an event charging £25 to enter with general public paying £20! Cannot really see the logic of charging more for the people helping to put on the Show by attending with their classics! Shall not be attending!

On 1/18/2024 at 9:33 AM, Dave Burgess said:

It makes the £20 /day early bird ticket for the Inter club International sound like a bargain. Hope you've all bought yours. 

Dave

Still £40 a day for the 2 of us & £80 if we cannot commit early!

Living where I do in south west France, I find the idea of having to pay to show a car a bit bizarre. Locally if your car is invited to a show there is no fee to pay and quite often a midday meal is offered to the driver and passenger. Our shows are generally smaller.

Our monthly gatherings can get quite big, my local car club meeting at the beginning of January had over 700 cars and bikes in attendance 

Edited by Kiwifrog
9 minutes ago, Kiwifrog said:

Living where I do in south west France, I find the idea of having to pay to show a car a bit bizarre. Locally if your car is invited to a show there is no fee to pay and quite often a midday meal is offered to the driver and passenger. Our shows are generally smaller.

Our monthly gatherings can get quite big, my local car club meeting at the beginning of January had over 700 cars and bikes in attendance 

I'm available for lunch most summer months and possibly Christmas.

Roger

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Roger

Same here Roger!

On 1/27/2024 at 2:20 PM, RogerH said:

Roger

Next invite I get I will pass on to you Roger, and the meals are long and can be quite rowdy but fun

cheers

Alan

Cambfollowers used to attend the Kimbolton summer fair, then last year the organisers imposed a £15 fee to show your car. The show was normally very good with loads of different cars but last year it was about 30% down and a bit disappointing so this year we have removed it from our calendar. It's a shame but there are other shows on the same weekend and most likely they will be better as most owners will not go to Kimbolton.

What irritated some of our group who had come alone in their cars, was after pre-paying £15 to show their cars they found that if they had parked in the public carpark they could have got in for £12..

George 

20 hours ago, harlequin said:

Cambfollowers used to attend the Kimbolton summer fair, then last year the organisers imposed a £15 fee to show your car. The show was normally very good with loads of different cars but last year it was about 30% down and a bit disappointing so this year we have removed it from our calendar. It's a shame but there are other shows on the same weekend and most likely they will be better as most owners will not go to Kimbolton.

What irritated some of our group who had come alone in their cars, was after pre-paying £15 to show their cars they found that if they had parked in the public carpark they could have got in for £12..

George 

That is similar to my experience George. £25 for classic car owners to help put on the Show & £20 for general public entry! Seems odd to me so will not attend.

46 minutes ago, monty said:

That is similar to my experience George. £25 for classic car owners to help put on the Show & £20 for general public entry! Seems odd to me so will not attend.

I think that the focus of some car shows and country fairs has moved away from a bit of fun and a social event and is now seen as a business opportunity. All I can say is good luck with the new business model:).

Maybe when invited to a show where they want to charge we should explain that we now require reimbursement of our fuel costs, similar to what happens at a steam  rally for the traction engines.

George 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2024 at 11:55 AM, brian -r said:

I agree with Rob, a downright liberty . If they charge £25 to show your car what are they charging the public? . Don't they understand no cars no show.

Bri

Totally agree…….they taking the pee. Not be attending that one!