Signing in means a cookie is stored on your machine. If you shut down or close the browser without signing out, the cookie may still be there (this depends on browser settings).  If it is, you don't have to sign in again.  

If you clear all cookies deliberately, or set the browser to delete them when closed, you will have to sign in.  Some sites set a time limit so the cookie expires after a set time and you are automatically logged out.

Edited by RobH

Something is different now.

Previously I only used to sign in if I wanted to write something, and when I finished writing I signed out.

Next time I visited the site I was free to read what I wanted, but if I wanted to write something I had to sign in again.

That was the way I alwas used it.

What I find now is that as soon as I visit the site I have to sign in, even if I only want to read.

I don't find this a problem. Maybe has been added recently to make security a bit better, but I guess it means that anyone who has not registered is not able to even read the posts.

Charlie.

Yes you are right Charlie - I just tried to access the forums on a tablet and get the log-in screen, so the settings have been changed.  It used to be open for reading as you say.  Only the main home page is readable for 'guests' now. 

I'm not sure whether that is a good thing for attracting new members. If they can't see what the forum can offer, why would they join ? That's what brought me here initially.......... 

Edited by RobH
41 minutes ago, RobH said:

If they can't see what the forum can offer, why would they join ?

A good point Rob.

If you go to Google and search for “TR3 sticking handbrake problem” (Just an example) you get a number of sites that relate to the question.

If you click on the “Triumph Experience” site, you go straight to the page giving advice.

If you click on the “TR Register” site, you get met with the login screen (Admittedly you get the choice to register) but I, and maybe others, would look for an easier option.

The Forum has always been available read-only for non-registered guests.

I'm guessing something has been updated and this is unexpected collateral damage. No doubt it will revert back in a day or two.

Jerry

40 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Perhaps it’s a fix everyone wanted to sort out the spamming ?

But it doesn't Hamish. All the spammers created accounts and signed in, so this won't stop them at all. . 

16 hours ago, ntc said:

I am finding this is a nightmare as on my iPhone I can’t get back to safari ie google home page so it doesn’t work for me so I will not be using it and giving technical assistance or advice.

Thats Odd as it works fine on my Iphone, but I have the google app so can jump to that rather than safari.

Stuart.

54 minutes ago, james christie said:

I’m using Safari on both iPad and iPhone. No problems for me!

james

Nor me on Google on iPad.

Edited by SuzanneH

Use Firefox Focus on phone or iPad and you must log in.    As Rob pointed out it is all due to your browser saving or not saving cookies.   b

Both of these are on an iPad and iPhones    -   My Safari holds cookies and logs straight in.   Firefox Focus deletes them all after every session and I have to log in.    

The issue for us users is not huge   The fact it now excludes content viewing by casual browsers seems to be a bit unnecessary 

11 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

...Firefox Focus deletes them all after every session and I have to log in...    

Peter

I don’t know if Firefox Focus is different but on my ancient Firefox , I can do this:

Click the “Tools” tab,

Select settings

Select Privacy & Security

Scroll down to Cookies and Site Data

Untick Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed

It may work

Charlie

52 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

Peter

I don’t know if Firefox Focus is different but on my ancient Firefox , I can do this:

Click the “Tools” tab,

Select settings

Select Privacy & Security

Scroll down to Cookies and Site Data

Untick Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed

It may work

Charlie

I agree my desktop version of Firefox does precisely that.   Firefox Focus is a simple browser without tabs or other gubbins for use on mobile devices.   It remembers nothing.

In response to the Spam Attacks, Wayne checked that all the required anti-spam tools were already enabled: they were. He then made a change to the setup that required sign-in for new users, this should not have impacted existing users. Jo is having to answer lots of questions from forum users. Users who have not previously signed in, now need to sign in. It is another security measure.

We still need an update to the basic forum software but cannot do that with our existing website platform, it is too old and incompatible. We are on the case, as you can read elsewhere. 

Mick

Edited by Mick Forey