4 hours ago, marko said:

I don't think so Phil, I've had a couple of Peter's cars - His cars were restored (nut & bolt) to a much higher standard, under the wheel arches and the chassis would never have been plastered in thick underseal like that if Peter would have done it.

Yep definitely not a lightweight model :lol:I wonder what it is hiding?

Apart from the price....and the red brake drums:o

As others have stated this was not a body off restoration.

IMHO...I cannot see any point in buying a 250, when I can buy a much better car for less money.

All that underseal would put me off....cannot have been removed during restoration...possibly added to or just painted over...

Chassis pics would be helpful.

One obvious body problem...the bottom of the boot lid to body gap is not correct.

There are not any good pics of the door gaps...on one pic the driver's side rear bottom seems smaller.

Only a minor thing, the brake/clutch lines in the engine bay are not neatly done.

I’ve negotiated a deal at £29k, as I know it wasn’t worth £39k. If I had that budget, I’d definitely get a TR5.

I didn’t think £29k was too bad, and I’m getting some further images tomorrow, which I’ll post. I’ll go and look at it with an independent, and if the chassis or anything else looks bad, I can still walk away and carry on looking.

I’m learning a lot from being in the forum, so thanks all, as I’m starting to get a much better idea of what I’m looking for.

On 10/20/2023 at 5:34 AM, PGB BME said:

Isn’t that car the one P Moffat restored?

Phil

Hi Phil,

No, it's not one of Moffat's cars

This was built by Bill and Tom from Notts

Tom

There is a lot of rust here, far more than I was expecting. Surely that would have needed new floors, sills and full on chassis repair if possible. I guess my concern is - was the car covered in underseal to hide this?

I’ll ask the seller for some current shots of the chassis. 

Hi Neil, 

these taken in the USA, before the trip home and the refurb? Because ;-

If Yes then you need to ascertain the level of the workmanship to fix, and we still haven't had a decent shot of the Achilles heal, the chassis especially around the rear.

....and if No, its not as good a car as the TR4 you walked away from.

John.

14 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Hi Neil, 

these taken in the USA, before the trip home and the refurb? Because ;-

If Yes then you need to ascertain the level of the workmanship to fix, and we still haven't had a decent shot of the Achilles heal, the chassis especially around the rear.

....and if No, its not as good a car as the TR4 you walked away from.

John.

Thanks John, apologies, I should have pointed out these were pre- restoration. 

I went back to the seller earlier today and he’s assured me it’s had a full restoration and is like new underneath. And yes, these were taken in the US, before resto work started.

He’s going to send me some images once they have it on the ramp.

I’ll post once I receive them.

Thank you

Neil

Edited by Neilson
On 10/22/2023 at 7:52 PM, Neilson said:

Thanks John, apologies, I should have pointed out these were pre- restoration. 

I went back to the seller earlier today and he’s assured me it’s had a full restoration and is like new underneath. And yes, these were taken in the US, before resto work started.

He’s going to send me some images once they have it on the ramp.

I’ll post once I receive them.

Thank you

Neil

If it is like new why is the black **** sprayed underneath?

37 minutes ago, ntc said:

If it is like new why is the black **** sprayed underneath?

That is the question.

I’m  going to ask them, but I now know that the restorer’s only did what they were asked, which was to sort out what they could. They never stripped the chassis, so I’m guessing the underseal is hiding something.

It’s being independently looked at in the next few days, so I’ll post an update.

Thanks

Neil

I’ve seen worse sometimes it’s easier to go over old underseal than to completely remove as long as all is sound underneath the only way you can satisfy yourself is to physically look and have a good poke around that way you can be satisfied that it’s sound. I wouldn’t be put off but just be careful many many tr’s are covered with underseal ,wax,oil doesn’t put them in the DONT touch with a barge pole category you don’t drive them looking at the underneath do you ! But that’s my opinion everyone has their own but if it’s a nut and bolt restoration then yes I’d expect the underside to be excellent as well

Chris

Edited by trchris
1 hour ago, marko said:

Neil,

What you've got to ask yourself 100% seriously is......Is this a £30,000 car that has had a "full nut & bolt" restoration - as they've described it on the website!

Regards Mark

I must say i agree with Marko. A good test would be to put it on a 2 post lift raise it up and open both doors. It looks ok underneath but i would want to see body colour or at worst clear wax oil over body colour. Its personal preference.

But if you like it who actually cares. You will be the one who has to maybe put things right over time.

Enjoy the journey