Hi all, I’ve been quite a journey to find a new TR4, 4A, 250 or 5.

I very nearly purchased a TR4 yesterday, but the kind folk on the TR4/4A section advised against it, so the search for the holy grail continues….

I’ve been offered this car and wondered what people’s opinions were. It has an extensive file with all photos documented throughout the restoration process. He’ll be sending me some tomorrow, but I wondered if there’s any other questions I could ask?

The car is a Yellow TR250 -

https://www.thedriverspaddock.co.uk/cars/triumph/tr5/tr250/692158/

Thanks in advance!

Hi Neil, 

Well that's not Royal Blue, or any kind of Blue.

Strikes me as a lot of money for a TR 250, you can get very close to a TR5 for that, which I think will always be worth more.

You know the photos we need Neil, chassis etc, to give you some guidance.

John,

4 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Hi Neil, 

Well that's not Royal Blue, or any kind of Blue.

Strikes me as a lot of money for a TR 250, you can get very close to a TR5 for that, which I think will always be worth more.

You know the photos we need Neil, chassis etc, to give you some guidance.

John,

Hi John, I know! :-)

I’ve always loved the Jasmine yellow, which comes a very close 2nd to the Royal Blue.

I registered my interest with lots of different dealerships who had TRs, to look out for a blue one for me. I was ringing up yesterday to see if they had any luck, and they offered me this, which is the owners father-in-law’s car.

I’m negotiating a deal with them and they’re sending me some images later of chassis etc.

I’ll post once I receive them.

Best

Neil

Neil,

That TR250 is about 4 miles away from me...

We had it in the workshops July 2021 to sort o/d wiring & set carbs up if i remember correctly.

Was a nicely put together car

Tom

2 hours ago, Tom Boyd said:

Neil,

That TR250 is about 4 miles away from me...

We had it in the workshops July 2021 to sort o/d wiring & set carbs up if i remember correctly.

Was a nicely put together car

Tom

Hi Tom, that’s amazing!

Thanks for the reply. Are you TR Enterprises?

Thanks

Neil

1 hour ago, TR NIALL said:

I don’t think we like that Rear Shock Conversion your putting all the stress into the Wheel Arch.

+1 if it is not attached to the chassis it is a NO GO!

It is a beautiful one by the way......but the same as with the blue TR4 if the base is not good then only problems will follow....

Marcel

Edited by Quicksilver

That conversion is attached to the chassis using the original mounts for the lever arm dampers.

Tom

Looks to be well done and if Bring A Trailer is any guide not out of line for a TR250 with overdrive in that [ apparent ] condition.

I am puzzled that fitment of a CP cam wasn't matched with a set of triple DCOEs, something TR Enterprises was doing frequently a decade ago ( " We put them on everything we do! " said one of their guys at Malvern in 2012 ). Without these I wonder if the smaller bump in performance it gets with two throttles is worth the reduction in fuel economy guaranteed by the switch in camshaft. 

Having done around 150,000 miles in my '250s on DCOEs and spending more on them than they would sell for I realize that I don't have any hankering for the P.I. alternative, a TR5 with its LUCAS P.I. unsuitable for my purposes and sacrilegious to remove it. Better to have the underdog, woefully detuned TR250 at a discount and kit it out as I've done with mine. The beauty of TRIUMPH's U.S. market cars is they are ever sold at a discount to their RoW counterparts due to their lesser performance. Thanks to Webers this shortcoming can be rectified now that they've aged out of the emissions laws in the U.S. When they were in production ( and for some time after ) this was impossible as the cams so essential to compliance mooted fitment of anything but the dual emissions carbs.

AUSTR5-JUNE06 006.jpg

Hi Neil,

For the price they are asking (£38k) which by the way is way over top money for a 250 over here, I would expect the floors to be all body colour and the wheel arches not to be "caked" in tetroseal / underseal.

It doesn't look like its had a "body off" restoration and the chassis also seems to be caked in underseal.

It is pretty much impossible to judge a car from photographs but for that money this car should be virtually concours condition based on the market prices and the decline in classic car prices recently.

But what do I know? :ph34r: as I'm retired now!

Mark O

18 minutes ago, marko said:

Hi Neil,

For the price they are asking (£38k) which by the way is way over top money for a 250 over here, I would expect the floors to be all body colour and the wheel arches not to be "caked" in tetroseal / underseal.

It doesn't look like its had a "body off" restoration and the chassis also seems to be caked in underseal.

It is pretty much impossible to judge a car from photographs but for that money this car should be virtually concours condition based on the market prices and the decline in classic car prices recently.

But what do I know? :ph34r: as I'm retired now!

Mark O

Hi Mark O, you’re right and I’ve put in an offer in for significantly lower and they’ve accepted.

They're getting some oil leaks done with Tom at TR Enterprises (pre-warning Tom, they’re booking it in :)), and they’ve advised I can speak to Tom directly once he has it up on the ramps in terms of chassis condition etc.

I spoke to Tom earlier, and he also knows the guys who did the restoration so that’s always a good starting point.

Fingers crossed

Best

Neil

Good Luck - But It looks like its had more of a respray than an restoration.

You certainly need to see the car on the ramp "before" committing to purchase.

The chassis and inner body needs to be inspected carefully as I have seen loads and loads of ex US cars with bent chassis's (normally the O/S front corner) or poorly repaired (Stuart I'm sure will also confirm this!)

Good Luck though 

14 minutes ago, marko said:

Good Luck - But It looks like its had more of a respray than an restoration.

You certainly need to see the car on the ramp "before" committing to purchase.

The chassis and inner body needs to be inspected carefully as I have seen loads and loads of ex US cars with bent chassis's (normally the O/S front corner) or poorly repaired (Stuart I'm sure will also confirm this!)

Good Luck though 

Thanks for this Marko, I’ll make sure the car is fully inspected as I don’t want to lose money.

The seller is also going to send me some more images, but they seem very professional.

I’ll hopefully upload some further images soon. Thanks for everyone’s tips and advice

I think it's pretty clear it hasn't had a nut & bolt Restoration Neil, a strip and respray by the looks of it - Get it inspected independently!

You may want to get them to rectify this....:lol: (Just my warped humour) but nonetheless worrying!

20231019_182425.jpg

13 minutes ago, marko said:

I think it's pretty clear it hasn't had a nut & bolt Restoration Neil, a strip and respray by the looks of it - Get it inspected independently!

You may want to get them to rectify this....:lol: (Just my warped humour) but nonetheless worrying!

20231019_182425.jpg

Thanks Marko, I’ve put down a fully refundable deposit, dependant on whether the car meets certain criteria. If not then I can walk away ;) 

4 hours ago, PGB BME said:

Isn’t that car the one P Moffat restored?

Phil

Hi Phil,

They told me Bill and another guy, restored it together.

Tom knows them as they’ve done lots of restorations in the past, but I’m not sure if the other guy is P Moffat.

Thanks

Neil

7 hours ago, PGB BME said:

Isn’t that car the one P Moffat restored?

Phil

I don't think so Phil, I've had a couple of Peter's cars - His cars were restored (nut & bolt) to a much higher standard, under the wheel arches and the chassis would never have been plastered in thick underseal like that if Peter would have done it.