That under seal is not there for protection, it is just “sprayed over” and very poorly. 

If you are not very familiar with this and are still interested I would ask a near by experienced member to join you during inspection.

Personally, I would not be interested in a car that is advertised as “ nut and bolt” and looks like this. What else is hidden?

I inspected 2 cars over the last 5 weeks, both described as class 1. Only the paint was.

Waldi

4 hours ago, trchris said:

I’ve seen worse sometimes it’s easier to go over old underseal than to completely remove as long as all is sound underneath the only way you can satisfy yourself is to physically look and have a good poke around that way you can be satisfied that it’s sound. I wouldn’t be put off but just be careful many many tr’s are covered with underseal ,wax,oil doesn’t put them in the DONT touch with a barge pole category you don’t drive them looking at the underneath do you ! But that’s my opinion everyone has their own but if it’s a nut and bolt restoration then yes I’d expect the underside to be excellent as well

Chris

I agree with Chris. If its any help I paid £25,000 2.5 years ago for a 250. It was a US import converted to right hand drive, had a body off restoration and was upgraded to TR5 spec. with a rebuilt engine. It was not perfect by any means and I have spent a couple of grand on it since buying.

I have had a close look at the photos and the car you are interested in and it does not seem bad. As other commentators have stated have a good look underneath yourself. Another tip is to kneal down, put your eyes as close as possible to the body work  and look along the side of the vehicle, you can usually see any imperfections this way. price is possibly 2 grand to dear but if you buy insist on a good warrenty.

2 hours ago, Phil Read said:

I agree with Chris. If its any help I paid £25,000 2.5 years ago for a 250. It was a US import converted to right hand drive, had a body off restoration and was upgraded to TR5 spec. with a rebuilt engine. It was not perfect by any means and I have spent a couple of grand on it since buying.

I have had a close look at the photos and the car you are interested in and it does not seem bad. As other commentators have stated have a good look underneath yourself. Another tip is to kneal down, put your eyes as close as possible to the body work  and look along the side of the vehicle, you can usually see any imperfections this way. price is possibly 2 grand to dear but if you buy insist on a good warrenty.

Today it’s a different story when pricing.

11 minutes ago, marko said:

All TR Prices are dropping currently, the Classic Car market is on the decline, I'm sure it will bounce back at some point but just look at TR6 prices and the number of TR5's that have been listed recently.

Not only them, there is at least 5 Italias for sale too.

Stuart.

There’s a nice TR5, unmolested  and in blue on the TRGB web site. As it is a commission sale could probably negotiate on price. I have no affiliation with TRGB but having recently bought a car from them, they are excellent to deal with and their cars are well vetted , well presented and always well priced…. good luck !

41 minutes ago, Neilson said:

Hi all, looking at the chassis in more detail, is this a split, and wondering about these holes too…

IMG_9328.jpeg

IMG_9330.jpeg

That hole underneath shouldn't be there, it looks like a rust hole, in fact the front edge of that chassis rail has had a huge plate welded over it from side to side as the seam welding is certainly not factory

Is it my imagination or has the sump suffered a bash to the front, on the oil drain plug?

It looks like it has hit something with quite a bit of force and pushed that part back into the sump pan.

Or are they all like that?

Charlie.

59 minutes ago, Neilson said:

Hi all, looking at the chassis in more detail, is this a split, and wondering about these holes too…

IMG_9328.jpeg

The side of the chassis has had some welding as the thick line along the outer edge isnt right.

Stuart.

53 minutes ago, marko said:

That hole underneath shouldn't be there, it looks like a rust hole, in fact the front edge of that chassis rail has had a huge plate welded over it from side to side as the seam welding is certainly not factory

Thanks Marko, I can see where you mean.

Eeek, what else is hiding!

1 hour ago, Charlie D said:

Is it my imagination or has the sump suffered a bash to the front, on the oil drain plug?

It looks like it has hit something with quite a bit of force and pushed that part back into the sump pan.

Or are they all like that?

Charlie.

Hi Charlie, I can see what you mean, but don’t have the knowledge to say ‘Yay’ or ‘Nay’. Someone will know though! ;)

Edited by Neilson
8 minutes ago, Neilson said:

Thanks Stuart, based on yours and Marko’s spots, is it time to walk away?

I would say so, shame really but all that gunk is covering up too much for that sort of money, its a shame they didnt do it properly but it was obviously restored down to a price.

Stuart.

3 minutes ago, stuart said:

I would say so, shame really but all that gunk is covering up too much for that sort of money, its a shame they didnt do it properly but it was obviously restored down to a price.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, and everyone who’s commented on this topic.

I really appreciate everyone’s time and knowledge!

The saga continues…

I agree with Stuart and Marko chassis hasn’t been professionally repaired there’s nothing wrong with a chassis which has been repaired as long as it’s done correctly l too would walk away as said there will be others and possibly cheaper in the long run 

Chris

1 hour ago, Neilson said:

...Eeek, what else is hiding!...

One of the problems with chassis like the TRs and smaller Triumphs (Herald etc) is that a lot of the rot starts from the inside.

You really need to tap the entire chassis with a hammer to do a proper inspection.  You don't have to hit it too hard. If it's thinning a bit it will give a dull sound.

If a vendor won't let you do that then be suspicious.

Charlie.

39 minutes ago, trchris said:

I agree with Stuart and Marko chassis hasn’t been professionally repaired there’s nothing wrong with a chassis which has been repaired as long as it’s done correctly l too would walk away as said there will be others and possibly cheaper in the long run 

Chris

Thanks Chris, I’ve told the dealer I don’t want to proceed, so hopefully one will turn up, and hopefully cheaper! 

Neil

26 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

One of the problems with chassis like the TRs and smaller Triumphs (Herald etc) is that a lot of the rot starts from the inside.

You really need to tap the entire chassis with a hammer to do a proper inspection.  You don't have to hit it too hard. If it's thinning a bit it will give a dull sound.

If a vendor won't let you do that then be suspicious.

Charlie.

Thanks Charlie, I appreciate that insight.

Best

Neil

Now you are armed with that knowledge from our friends on here you will see the potential problems with more understanding.

Take someone with you who knows these cars inside out.

Don't buy till you do.

There is one out there with your name on it!

Regards Harry

47 minutes ago, harrytr5 said:

Now you are armed with that knowledge from our friends on here you will see the potential problems with more understanding.

Take someone with you who knows these cars inside out.

Don't buy till you do.

There is one out there with your name on it!

Regards Harry

Thanks Harry, advice taken onboard and it’s been worth every penny joining the forum!

I’m just going to sit back, relax and wait until the right one comes along.

Best

Neil