Step too far TR3?

The owner and his team had a very interesting project and were not held back by originality.  It needed a highly skilled tradesman for every trade and the final result shows a great talent. There are lots of TR out in the world but this one is very special. If it arrives at the  TR international next year it will attract a lot of interest.

California is a different place from Sussex where I live.  There is a local group meeting on Monday and I will look forward to finding out how the other members see the future of this special project.

Richard & B

As Bob says "ooh, that noise"!  It's like Carroll Shelby decided to use a TR3 as his basis for his Cobra rather than an AC Ace.  I have often thought that the Edward Turner designed Daimler V8 would be the 'dogs' in a 3, but then I am a 2 wheeled Triumph afficionado...

Back in the 1970s, John Hanna had a sidescreen TR with the 2.5 litre Daimler engine - lots of torque right the way through the rev. range, and went very well in his hands.

Ian Cornish

Putting a Daimler 2.5 V8 into a 1954 TR2. It was rescued from a scrapyard and the original engine was shot.

Also out today on the RSAC Three Lochs Rally in a Daimler V8 engined Swallow Doretti.

Cheers 

Richard

DSCN3558.JPG

DSCN3559.JPG

DSCN3548.JPG

Tr2/3 chassis , suspension and gearbox, back axle look very similar the Daimler sp250

7 hours ago, ianc said:

Back in the 1970s, John Hanna had a sidescreen TR with the 2.5 litre Daimler engine - lots of torque right the way through the rev. range, and went very well in his hands.

Ian Cornish

Yep...but the torque from it marmalised the 4th gear synchromesh on original TR gearboxes and overdrives.

I was the winning bidder of one of Johns gearbox and overdrives (he went through them at a startling rate) at the after TR International event auction at the Melbourne loop where everything was sold to save lugging it home. ( I think the one where "Nostagia's"  Rod Leach brought one of the TRS cars WITH Sabrina engine for sale at I think £9000 of your fine English pounds !) Oh I wish I had the money to buy it.

But on the other hand I did have enough money to buy Johns synchromesh buggered gearbox and overdrive staggering back to the Trent Groups campsite "Oh what's rubbish has that Mick Richards bought now" ?  Laughed the sages of the Trent Group. It cost me the grand total of £6...£6 ! They are not laughing now !

John has since offered me a 50% enhancement to a price of £10 for the gearbox and overdrive back ! I've politely declined.

Mick Richards 

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
13 hours ago, Dic Doretti said:

Putting a Daimler 2.5 V8 into a 1954 TR2. It was rescued from a scrapyard and the original engine was shot.

Also out today on the RSAC Three Lochs Rally in a Daimler V8 engined Swallow Doretti.

Cheers 

Richard

DSCN3558.JPG

DSCN3559.JPG

DSCN3548.JPG

Very early V8 to have a CAT ?!

A53ACCA0-36CF-4A54-8569-24D0FF3AF3EC.jpeg

The gearbox is at an odd angle. I was using a Dolomite Sprint gearbox which is essentially a TR box with a lengthened input shaft and a sandwich plate to fit it to the Sprint engine and the only way to fit it was at an angle. Mick is correct, the gearbox couldn't cope with the torque of the V8 engine and I went through a couple of gearboxes before I found a rare gearbox from a manual Daimler 250 saloon. 

The TR2 was an original Scottish car sold by Rossleighs of Stirling, I met the original owner who used it for competition and it featured in a Scottish motoring magazine on the Highland Three Day Rally.

Cheers

Richard

Nice to be reminded of good old times in my Daimler V8 powered TR3. That provided me with my entry to motorsport in 1978

The engine in my car was the pre-production test engine. Its engine number was EXPD3. I wonder what the experimental versions 1 and 2 were. It was a beautifully smooth engine, obviously blue printed and precision built.

I was allowed to race it in the TR Championship but not for points so I took out the engine and sold it to a Daimler buff for enough money to build a decent TR racer. I often wonder what happened to that historic engine.

I will be back out in the Sprint and hillclimb championship next season in a bog standard TR7. Well, tweaked suspension but standard engine. Far cry from that beast of a TR. 

John Hanna

By the way Richard, have you fitted the body yet? I think you will find that a bit of surgery will be required to the bulkhead. 
Did you have to use a couple of steering universal joints to bring the steering column around the engine/manifolds? 

John

2 hours ago, hannadaimlerv8 said:

Nice to be reminded of good old times in my Daimler V8 powered TR3. That provided me with my entry to motorsport in 1978

The engine in my car was the pre-production test engine. Its engine number was EXPD3. I wonder what the experimental versions 1 and 2 were. It was a beautifully smooth engine, obviously blue printed and precision built.

I was allowed to race it in the TR Championship but not for points so I took out the engine and sold it to a Daimler buff for enough money to build a decent TR racer. I often wonder what happened to that historic engine.

I will be back out in the Sprint and hillclimb championship next season in a bog standard TR7. Well, tweaked suspension but standard engine. Far cry from that beast of a TR. 

John Hanna

Great to hear you are going to be racing again John. You have been missed and so generous and encouraging to me since we first met at my first ever tr event, I think at Curborough in 2017. 

A restoration in five pictures

1. Discovery in a scrapyard at Dunoon in 1986.

2. Recovery.

3. Restoration 1980s style.

4. Off to the paint shop.

5. Finished article. 

Cheers

Richard

DSCN3560.JPG

DSCN3564.JPG

DSCN3561.JPG

DSCN3562.JPG

DSCN3563.JPG

That’s a great picture record

love the ones of the TR towing the TR

Richard

On 8/20/2023 at 8:01 PM, Motorsport Mickey said:

Yep...but the torque from it marmalised the 4th gear synchromesh on original TR gearboxes and overdrives.

I was the winning bidder of one of Johns gearbox and overdrives (he went through them at a startling rate) at the after TR International event auction at the Melbourne loop where everything was sold to save lugging it home. ( I think the one where "Nostagia's"  Rod Leach brought one of the TRS cars WITH Sabrina engine for sale at I think £9000 of your fine English pounds !) Oh I wish I had the money to buy it.

But on the other hand I did have enough money to buy Johns synchromesh buggered gearbox and overdrive staggering back to the Trent Groups campsite "Oh what's rubbish has that Mick Richards bought now" ?  Laughed the sages of the Trent Group. It cost me the grand total of £6...£6 ! They are not laughing now !

John has since offered me a 50% enhancement to a price of £10 for the gearbox and overdrive back ! I've politely declined.

Mick Richards 

Hi Mick, Attached photo of 929HP I took at the above event.

I was also at Malvern in 2021, but missed all the works cars hidden away.

peter

0D2C3006-DBD6-40A7-84A0-52CF33114376.jpeg

That’s the one, fine looking car.

Mick Richards