ULEZ - not the rant you might be expecting!

3 hours ago, RobH said:

You may find this interesting. A bit of a rant but worth watching the whole thing.  

I think I posted that youtube on here sometime last year Rob, EV doesn't come out of it well.  Mick Richards

Ah OK Mick -  apologies for the repeat. For me one of the telling points was someone having to wait 5 hours for a charger to become free. Exceptionally long maybe but is it going to become normal ?

1 hour ago, RobH said:

Ah OK Mick -  apologies for the repeat. For me one of the telling points was someone having to wait 5 hours for a charger to become free. Exceptionally long maybe but is it going to become normal ?

When I first got an EV three years ago, I found out that for a long journey where you will need to use public charging you need to do your homework, and have a list of possible charging sites, because your first choice may be busy or out of action. I avoid motorway services. You can often find out if chargers are busy or unavailable on your smartphone.   

I used to draw up a list of 3 when going to Devon or Cornwall from Chippenham. It's improved significantly in 3 years, but a plan is still reassuring. I go to Banstead in Surrey every month or two, and I don't need a plan because I have a very convenient first choice and know a reliable fallback there.

I would not recommend an EV to someone whose journey profile involves making frequent use of public charging points because they are very expensive and sometimes inconvenient.

The video was a strong reminder of the mining issues.

Edited by acaie
5 hours ago, RogerH said:

Since the end of World War 2 the British Gov't have not been able to put a decent plan in progress for so many things

Where is the plan

Roger

The problem is Roger, that the great majority of politicians don't know the difference between a wish list and a plan. Unfortunately many voters are the same.

Pete

Changes in the electrical regulations are not retrospective if the installation is not changed.  It's only if major changes are being made to the house wiring, like the addition of wiring for an extension or the installation of a car charger, that the system has to be brought up to current standards in order to get it certified.

The casing of the consumer unit is only one recent addition - there are many others that may apply depending on the age of the installation.  One that caught out a friend of mine is that in the 60's it was normal for lighting circuits not to include a protective conductor (earth wire).  He was having a car charger installed and ended up needing the house lighting circuits replaced in order to get the whole installation signed off. 

2 minutes ago, RobH said:

Changes in the electrical regulations are not retrospective if the installation is not changed.  It's only if major changes are being made to the house wiring, like the addition of wiring for an extension or the installation of a car charger, that the system has to be brought up to current standards in order to get it certified.

The casing of the consumer unit is only one recent addition - there are many others that may apply depending on the age of the installation.  One that caught out a friend of mine is that in the 60's it was normal for lighting circuits not to include a protective conductor (earth wire).  He was having a car charger installed and ended up needing the house lighting circuits replaced in order to get the whole installation signed off. 

Sorry Rob but your wrong my house 20 years old and no alterations to the circuit and failed a survey for plastic consumer unit 

There is no requirement for the installation to be upgraded if it is in good condition and you cannot 'fail' a survey on that unless there is fault that makes it dangerous. It would just point out where your installation does not meet present regulations.  

quote:

It is not a requirement that all non-compliant ‘combustible’ consumer units and switchgear must be replaced – instead, an inspection of a domestic dwelling’s electrical installation should be undertaken by a competent person in accordance with the requirements of Chapter 62 of BS 7671 and a decision made as to whether the consumer unit and any associated switchgear are still safe and suitable for their function. Such a decision might be informed by the age, condition and installation circumstances of the domestic dwelling’s electrical installation.

Edited by RobH
11 minutes ago, RobH said:

There is no requirement for the installation to be upgraded if it is in good condition and you cannot 'fail' a survey on that unless there is fault that makes it dangerous. It would just point out where your installation does not meet present regulations.  

quote:

It is not a requirement that all non-compliant ‘combustible’ consumer units and switchgear must be replaced – instead, an inspection of a domestic dwelling’s electrical installation should be undertaken by a competent person in accordance with the requirements of Chapter 62 of BS 7671 and a decision made as to whether the consumer unit and any associated switchgear are still safe and suitable for their function. Such a decision might be informed by the age, condition and installation circumstances of the domestic dwelling’s electrical installation.

EICR says different to that Rob it passed all tests and failed on the plastic consumer unit yet another ripoff 

Ah are you talking about a rented property then?  If so the requirements for landlords are indeed different .  There is no requirement to update the installation in a private residential property. 

Quote:

Is an EICR retrospective?

We often get enquiries advising that an EICR has been carried out and the customer has been advised that their installation needs to comply with the latest edition of BS 7671, which is not the case.

The extract below is taken from the note by the HSE in BS 7671:2018+A1:2020:

’Existing installations may have been designed and installed to conform to the standards set by earlier editions of BS 7671 or the IEE Wiring Regulations. This does not mean that they will fail to achieve conformity with the relevant parts of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989.’

Just because the installation does not fully comply with BS 7671:2018+A1:2020, does not necessarily mean it is unsafe, which will depend on the condition of the installation. The inspector must apply engineering judgment to determine if it is safe for continued use.

Edited by RobH
14 minutes ago, RobH said:

Ah are you talking about a rented property then?  If so the requirements for landlords are indeed different .  There is no requirement to update the installation in a private residential property. 

Quote:

Is an EICR retrospective?

We often get enquiries advising that an EICR has been carried out and the customer has been advised that their installation needs to comply with the latest edition of BS 7671, which is not the case.

The extract below is taken from the note by the HSE in BS 7671:2018+A1:2020:

’Existing installations may have been designed and installed to conform to the standards set by earlier editions of BS 7671 or the IEE Wiring Regulations. This does not mean that they will fail to achieve conformity with the relevant parts of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989.’

Just because the installation does not fully comply with BS 7671:2018+A1:2020, does not necessarily mean it is unsafe, which will depend on the condition of the installation. The inspector must apply engineering judgment to determine if it is safe for continued use.

Nope my house they say all solicitors will now ask for this and I am challenging it but I have been told it’s not worth it I don’t know what has changed in the law but I know many others are getting caught out with this, maybe something to do with the electric car role out 

I've been saying for months the ULEZ has zero to do with emissions since the scientific proof was released it is not having the purported effect so it's very nice to see the Telegraph outing and exposing Khanaroid's shady practises today: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/08/19/khan-tried-silence-scientists-questioned-ulez-claims/

(you may need bypass-paywalls-clean added to your browser to read)

Would not two new tails taken from after the meter and prior to the existing consumer unit and used soley for the car charger constitute a separate new supply leaving the old as is with no requirement to do anything to it?

Not that I will be going down this route any time soon.

Or is yet just another way of pricing folk off the road! 

9 hours ago, Steve-B said:

I've been saying for months the ULEZ has zero to do with emissions since the scientific proof was released it is not having the purported effect so it's very nice to see the Telegraph outing and exposing Khanaroid's shady practises today: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/08/19/khan-tried-silence-scientists-questioned-ulez-claims/

(you may need bypass-paywalls-clean added to your browser to read)

So the brown envelope didn't work for once!

14 hours ago, PodOne said:

Would not two new tails taken from after the meter and prior to the existing consumer unit and used soley for the car charger constitute a separate new supply leaving the old as is with no requirement to do anything to it?

Not that I will be going down this route any time soon.

Or is yet just another way of pricing folk off the road! 

That's how it is done on mine/ 

Something looks suspicious about the numbers there - yet another example of 'selective' reporting by the BBC.  

This from another more detailed report:

"Analysis published by Bath & North East Somerset Council reveals there has been a 26% drop in the annual mean nitrogen dioxide levels within the Clean Air Zone (CAZ) between 2019 and 2022. This represents an average reduction of 8.5 micrograms per cubic metre (μg/m3).

In urban areas outside of the zone, the study found there has been a slightly larger drop in annual mean NO2 concentrations, with a fall of 27%."

I.e. the Clean Air Zone has done worse than the surrounding uncontrolled areas, so what is the point of it except to extort money?

Edited by RobH
2 hours ago, RobH said:

Something looks suspicious about the numbers there.  

This from another more detailed report:

"Analysis published by Bath & North East Somerset Council reveals there has been a 26% drop in the annual mean nitrogen dioxide levels within the Clean Air Zone (CAZ) between 2019 and 2022. This represents an average reduction of 8.5 micrograms per cubic metre (μg/m3).

In urban areas outside of the zone, the study found there has been a slightly larger drop in annual mean NO2 concentrations, with a fall of 27%."

I.e. the ULEZ zone has done worse than the surrounding uncontrolled areas, so what is the point of it except to extort money?

Agreed 

Charging your e car in west London is out the window too due to lack of infrastructure 

https://www.theplanner.co.uk/2022/07/28/power-shortages-cause-block-west-london-development

8 hours ago, RobH said:

I.e. the Clean Air Zone has done worse than the surrounding uncontrolled areas, so what is the point of it except to extort money?

Agree. Case closed its a conn trick!

Question from far away:  what's the tolerance, generally, in the UK when it comes to speed limits?  I haven't had a ticket for ages but I tend to stay pretty close to the numbers - very rigorously when in towns. 

I know the tolerances here, but not sure how they actually apply it in the UK. 

Opinions?

There really is no official tolerance but in practice most police forces allow +10%+2mph.  They don't have to, in law you can be 'done' for 1mph over. 

13 hours ago, RobH said:

There really is no official tolerance but in practice most police forces allow +10%+2mph.  They don't have to, in law you can be 'done' for 1mph over. 

And thats what fixed cameras will do you on.

Stuart.