On 7/13/2023 at 4:42 PM, John Morrison said:

Goodwood FOS for me tomorrow 

first time I will have been to Goodwood-ask me if I’m looking forward to the day?

John

I take it you went Friday. Hope you enjoyed. 
FOS cancelled Saturday due to high winds. Back on for Sunday. 
Dave McD

Hi John

I see you live a way away but the best w/end by far is the Goodwood Revival in September if you book in a pre 66 car you get to park in one of the special carparks (think large classic carpark) its worth taking your time there before you go into the site just to walk around the different cars, they use the whole of the track for racing various groups throughout the 3 days, you also get a flypast by Spitfires, Hurricane and the incredible site of a Lancaster flying low over the site..

Phil....

I hear you Phil, could I ask is it the same weekend every year or do they decide from year to year?

The logistics of putting a trip together from Cumbria are challenging e. g. One night in an Ok but nothing special Comfort Inn was £250! cause we left it late to book.

John

Having been to FoS and Classic, I'd go back to Classic in a heart beat. Whilst both are very approachable in terms of seeing the cars, meeting the drivers, the FoS is focused on the one-shot speed up the hill more whereas Classic has cars we all know and admire racing balls to the wall on the circuit. Not too fussed about wearing period clothing, but do feel its far better-for-money value at Classic, personally.

YMMV

A few years back it was possible  to get into the classic car park for the revival without an entry ticket.

Spend a day with £££££££'s worth of cars of every sort plus your picnic..

Recently they have clamped down on us free-loaders - but it was good while it lasted

Roger

Edited by RogerH
2 hours ago, RogerH said:

A few years back it was possible  to get into the classic car park for the revival without an entry ticket.

Spend a day with £££££££'s worth of cars of every sort plus your picnic..

Recently they have clamped down on us free-loaders - but it was good while it lasted

Roger

Going into the Revival was even better though. Great fun all round.

4 hours ago, John Morrison said:

I hear you Phil, could I ask is it the same weekend every year or do they decide from year to year?

The logistics of putting a trip together from Cumbria are challenging e. g. One night in an Ok but nothing special Comfort Inn was £250! cause we left it late to book.

John

John, Revival usually similar September weekend each year. Dates are announced in November. 
Well worth a visit, a fabulous event. So much to see you don’t know where to look. 
It’s true to say that accommodation will be booked up early. The Travelodge/Premier Inns have cottoned on to the event demand and elevate prices for the weekend. Many people who use smaller B & Bs each year book for following year as they leave each year. You can camp/caravan/Motorhome on Goodwood campsite but need to book early. Expensive but very convenient to get in. 
I’ve only missed one Revival since first one in 1998. It’s one of the highlights of my year. 
Give it a go, you will not be disappointed. 
Dave McD

From 1999 my wife and I regularly attended the Revival. Without doubt the early years were the best. The crowds were smaller and comprised mainly of enthusiasts, before it became the place to be.

for the last few visits were were lucky to find a B&B in Chichester, just a couple of miles from the circuit, which is run by a lovely elderly couple who don’t inflate their prices for the Goodwood weekends. Unfortunately one year we couldn’t attend so offered our B&B booking on the forum. DonH grabbed it and now we can’t get it back!

the photo is of my wife gatecrashing the TT one year.

IMG_4045.jpeg

Unfortunately she really didn’t have the talent.

IMG_4047.jpeg

Edited by modelbuilder
On 7/15/2023 at 3:46 PM, John Morrison said:

John

Back in the very early days of the FoS, I had a pair of tickets (1996 and £20 I think), and booked a double room at the nearby Marriot Hotel for not a lot.  When I made the reservation the girl I spoke to said something along the lines of, “I think there must be some sort of event happening that weekend because we are quite busy”.  Needless to say the following year the prices were virtually doubled.

Rgds Ian

One wheeze the Micheal Cotti boys used to employ was to stay at the nearby Butlins holiday camp in Bognor Regis.   A group of us would hire one of the 4 berth chalets and place a few extra bodies inside  for the weekend which brought the nightly room rate down quite a bit.  The advantage of using Butlins was they  had to publish their room rates well in advance and so couldn't  jack the price up for the goodwood weekend.  Not sure if that's still the case as for the last few years I have found a tame B&B who only charges me £45 pn. 

Edited by Paul Hogan
accuracy