rear drive flanges.

I notice in the Rimmer parts book there is a different part number for the drive shaft flange assemblies, 210979 for steel wheels and 212403 for wire wheels. Any one any idea what is different. My car had steel wheels but I have fit wires, will this create problems? As far as I am aware recon drive shafts fit both.

7 minutes ago, Phil Read said:

I notice in the Rimmer parts book there is a different part number for the drive shaft flange assemblies, 210979 for steel wheels and 212403 for wire wheels. Any one any idea what is different. My car had steel wheels but I have fit wires, will this create problems? As far as I am aware recon drive shafts fit both.

Different length studs.

Stuart.

16 minutes ago, Phil Read said:

But the paets book clearly states "no studs included" they are listed separately.

Yet another reason to not use Rimmers, In the Moss catalogue they both come with studs hence the price difference. Theyre the same basic hub.https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/drive-shafts-propshafts/propshaft-driveshaft-s-tr5-6-1967-76.html

Why do you ask?

Stuart.

I ask because last year I swopped my alloys for wires. Studs are standard length as the car has spacers between the drum and adaptor. Nuts were torqued up correctly. Yesterday on the way back from Silverstone the car started vibrating very badly. I pulled into the services jacked it up and found the rear wheel moved so I thought the hub bearing had gone. When I removed the wheel I found two studs had sheared and the other two were loose on the spines. Obviously the drive flange is shot but I have a spare drive shaft so no problem, but its also ovaled the holes in the adaptor, so need a new one of those, along with studs etc.

2 hours ago, Phil Read said:

I ask because last year I swopped my alloys for wires. Studs are standard length as the car has spacers between the drum and adaptor. Nuts were torqued up correctly. Yesterday on the way back from Silverstone the car started vibrating very badly. I pulled into the services jacked it up and found the rear wheel moved so I thought the hub bearing had gone. When I removed the wheel I found two studs had sheared and the other two were loose on the spines. Obviously the drive flange is shot but I have a spare drive shaft so no problem, but its also ovaled the holes in the adaptor, so need a new one of those, along with studs etc.

By the sounds of that the studs may have already had some abuse before you got it i.e. wheels fitted with a rattle gun. Possibly the spacer might have exacerbated the issue.You did use the correct nuts on the adaptors I suppose?

Stuart.

Those are “coned” nuts, iirc.
I think that is what Stuart is referring to.

Waldi

Problem is still why the studs sheered and the others came loose and like I said earlier as you dont know the total history of the hubs then you can never be sure that a ham fisted tyre fitter hasnt wanged them up with a rattle gun.

Stuart.

3 minutes ago, stuart said:

Problem is still why the studs sheered and the others came loose and like I said earlier as you dont know the total history of the hubs then you can never be sure that a ham fisted tyre fitter hasnt wanged them up with a rattle gun.

Stuart.

I have to ask for my wheels to he hand tightened at the local tyre shop, otherwise the tyre fitters will use their rattle guns- and they have one size of gun for cars and trucks.

I think I have posted before that I witnessed one tyre fitter using a torque wrench.   You could hear it click - after which he leaned on it some more to make sure the nuts were REALLY tight...     :o

23 minutes ago, RogerH said:

.........on the other hand my garage uses an air gun to run the nuts down and then a torque wrench to nip them up.

Roger

Thats what my Tyre place does too.

Stuart.

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

.........on the other hand my garage uses an air gun to run the nuts down and then a torque wrench to nip them up.

Roger

That is what my local Costco tyre fitters do too

Even on modern cars thy still whammmm the nuts on at enormous torque and it marmalises your locking wheel nuts which only has weedy multiple radius shapes on the end to drive it .

I've taken to removing the nut (by hand myself) to stop them destroying it with 250 lbs ft torque because they can't be **8sed to reset the rattle gun to a reasonable torque. 

Mick Richards

Twice being in the situation with new cars where the locking nuts were so tight that they were destroyed come tyre/brake pad change time costing me a packet to have them removed and replaced.

Now as soon as I buy any car I take a breaker bar and impact socket and remove all the nuts/bolts apply copper slip and retorque. I also keep a breaker bar and socket in each car as the crappy ones the manufacture provide are a certain recipe for rounded nuts/bolts, knackered alloys and a broken ankle when you take to jumping on it when its dark and pouring with rain!

Andy 

So as can be seen by the above replies its not hugely surprising that youve had them sheer Phil.

FWIW Cambridge Motor sports supply good quality studs.

Stuart.