An annoying rattle

Before I start to dismantle the boot and fuel tank area I wonder if anyone advise? I’ve had one of those rattles in rear offside of the car that really annoys but is so difficult to locate when driving. It sounds as if it is coming from the rear of the rear offside wheel arch. Particularly noticeable on uneven pot holed roads, of which there are many locally. (I know, not just locally but nationally too!). It does seem to be getting worse (as are the roads!). Or, I’m just getting more tuned into it!

Can anyone offer advice as a starting point before I get carried away and dismantle unnecessarily? If I had rear windows I would say it sounds like a loose one, but it’s not coming from the door area. It is difficult to describe.

David

3 hours ago, Lebro said:

Loose damper mounting bolts ?

Bob 

+1 First thing to check

On my 3a the rear shocker was fixed by two bolts and one was slightly loose and once it was off the car it was easy to see the shiny steel where there was movement. I upgraded the bolt to the next size and my noise was gone.

Good luck

Richard & B

Recently i cured an annoying intermittent rattle in my ‘6 which was the seat belt turn buckle on the wheel-arch behind the drivers seat.  I don’t know about the belt arrangement in the TR4 but if it is lap and shoulder have a look at that.  It was hard to find as with the top down (90+% on my car) the soft top and cover would often press down on it and stop it from rattling…

On 6/10/2023 at 1:20 PM, charlie74 said:

Recently i cured an annoying intermittent rattle in my ‘6 which was the seat belt turn buckle on the wheel-arch behind the drivers seat.  I don’t know about the belt arrangement in the TR4 but if it is lap and shoulder have a look at that.  It was hard to find as with the top down (90+% on my car) the soft top and cover would often press down on it and stop it from rattling…

+1 for looking at the seat belt buckle on the wheel arch. I was about to post when I saw Charlie's suggestion.

• 2 months later...

An update, it’s still rattling!

Car came back from service, and no rattle, a quarter turn on the top damper securing bolt seemed to do the trick. But no, after a couple of days driving on our wonderful British roads….it’s back! So back to my service engineer. He’s had it up on jacks and examined all rear suspension mounts, rear wheel bearings, exhaust etc to no avail.

definitely a rattle, not a knock. My passenger the other day heard it and suggested the Surrey rear glass mounts as there appeared to him to be some movement while driving over bumps. Anybody had similar? How do I investigate this one? Rear panels out? How is it secured?

id be grateful for any feedback Please!! It’s getting very tiresome now!

David

34 minutes ago, Dady said:

My passenger the other day heard it and suggested the Surrey rear glass mounts as there appeared to him to be some movement while driving over bumps.

The rear screen? There shouldn't be any movement there. 

I've had a rattle from a wiring harness passing over the top of the fuel tank.

Pete

Hi David

I was going to suggest exhaust hitting underside on bumpy roads.

I once had an annoying rattle in France that was the closure mechanism of the door latch (item 54 in link). There is a bit inside the closure part attached to the B post that should slide backwards and forwards. If it doesn't the door rattles. Some WD40 or penetrating oil and ensure the bit inside the closure can slide easily. And yes that was really annoying until I found what it was.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/body-chassis/doors-fittings/doors-fittings-tr4-4a-1961-67.html

Other possibilities:

Is the rear bumper secure. 

Is boot rack loose (if you have one).

Is boot handle loose when boot is closed.

Loose rear number plate.

Fuel tank mounting bolts loose.

Surrey top bolts loose (access after removing rear boot panel)

Keith

22 minutes ago, keith1948 said:

Hi David

I was going to suggest exhaust hitting underside on bumpy roads.

I once had an annoying rattle in France that was the closure mechanism of the door latch (item 54 in link). There is a bit inside the closure part attached to the B post that should slide backwards and forwards. If it doesn't the door rattles. Some WD40 or penetrating oil and ensure the bit inside the closure can slide easily. And yes that was really annoying until I found what it was.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/body-chassis/doors-fittings/doors-fittings-tr4-4a-1961-67.html

Other possibilities:

Is the rear bumper secure. 

Is boot rack loose (if you have one).

Is boot handle loose when boot is closed.

Loose rear number plate.

Fuel tank mounting bolts loose.

Surrey top bolts loose (access after removing rear boot panel)

Keith

Hi Keith, thanks for your various suggestions. The door lock could be the issue, had similar mechanism on my Scimitar. Don’t think the bumper or boot catch are to blame. But the Surrey top might be, it’s in that area that the sound is coming from. Off to TRBitz tomorrow so will also chat with them.

I’ll post back once solved!

David

18 hours ago, trchris said:

Hi David 

It could be the captive nuts that’s used for the soft top frame sometimes you need to use fixing bolts to keep them from rattling 

Chris

You really do need to use them and yes that plate will rattle as its only a loose fit.

Stuart.

Tonys TR6 202.jpg

1 hour ago, Jase said:

Just one rattle :) I'd be worried if I didn't have numerous ones :) 

:wub::ph34r:

Further update!! 
Rattle (in question) sorted.

Thanks for all suggestions. It was the captive nuts/plate for the folding hood mechanism. Sorted by Craig at TRBitz. What a gent!

David