Wire wheel spinner hammer

Hi Roger….thanks for that. Will probably just get a block of wood and large copper hammer for ‘emergency ‘ wheel removal. 
In the early ‘70’s I had a maroon TR6 swith wire wheels. It was my everyday car and I used to remove the wheels by just knocking hell out of the spinners with a large lump hammer. At the time I never dreamt that the car would be termed a classic ! 
Just out of interest it did survive HOY190K, was on sale at TR Bitz, re sprayed black with red black trim and Minilite wheels. !

Just to add to my post where I said I use the wooden tool and hit it with a hammer. I've progressed from that to a couple of large jubilee clips attached to the arms of the wooden tool where I slide a long handle/ pipe to give me the extra leverage.  The pipe is the width of the boot so is easily transported - doesn't damage the spinners either.

On 1/26/2024 at 9:47 PM, DesNoble said:

Just to add to my post where I said I use the wooden tool and hit it with a hammer. I've progressed from that to a couple of large jubilee clips attached to the arms of the wooden tool where I slide a long handle/ pipe to give me the extra leverage.  The pipe is the width of the boot so is easily transported - doesn't damage the spinners either.

Like that idea…….so much cheaper.  Glad I didn’t buy the pressed steel thing now

Hi,

much easier is to swap from the (for my taste not suitable spinners on any TR) to octagonal nuts

and make a DIY steel lever tool for really very small money.

But others even don’t like wire wheels…., luckily everybody have his own taste.

Ciao, Marco

P1140149-b.JPG.ad5cce3b25bc6154aaddbcdcebe29f8d.JPG

1 hour ago, Z320 said:

Hi,

much easier is to swap from the (for my taste not suitable spinners on any TR) to octagonal nuts

and make a DIY steel lever tool for really very small money.

But others even don’t like wire wheels…., luckily everybody have his own taste.

Ciao, Marco

P1140149-b.JPG.ad5cce3b25bc6154aaddbcdcebe29f8d.JPG

I found those spanners to be a bit too thin and would tend to slip if you werent very careful as the spinner nut isnt dead square headed so what Ive done is weld two spanners together back to back and it provides better purchase.

Experience gained from a TR5 that came back from Germany with hex nuts that had been done up with a rattle gun I think (probably from a truck workshop) they were nigh on impossible to undo and one in the end had to be cut off.

Stuart.

15 hours ago, stuart said:

I found those spanners to be a bit too thin and would tend to slip if you werent very careful as the spinner nut isnt dead square headed so what Ive done is weld two spanners together back to back and it provides better purchase.

Experience gained from a TR5 that came back from Germany with hex nuts that had been done up with a rattle gun I think (probably from a truck workshop) they were nigh on impossible to undo and one in the end had to be cut off.

Stuart.

Never any problem with the tool.

Can't beat a Flintstones Spanner!

I have started to develop an interchangeable wooden section with a steel plate and socket drive but found it would "peel off" easily so was thinking how I could make sliding lugs that would go behind the spinners ears to hold it on. I see from the "proper" items in this thread that is what they have done, albeit in a simpler way (if you work in Aluminium). I like their idea...just no their price!

IMG_20240129_175043.thumb.jpg.7e46c8e01bfe17a96e0508624a77b283.jpg

On 1/29/2024 at 7:05 PM, Nigel C said:

Can't beat a Flintstones Spanner!

I have started to develop an interchangeable wooden section with a steel plate and socket drive but found it would "peel off" easily so was thinking how I could make sliding lugs that would go behind the spinners ears to hold it on. I see from the "proper" items in this thread that is what they have done, albeit in a simpler way (if you work in Aluminium). I like their idea...just no their price!

IMG_20240129_175043.thumb.jpg.7e46c8e01bfe17a96e0508624a77b283.jpg

Given a lathe and milling machine plus rotary table you could create your own from solid.   4” aluminium bar is about £9.00 an inch.   Drill and insert steel cap screws to reinforce the ear driving lugs.   Probably a couple of hours work at £120.00 per hour in a machine shop…..

If only I had a spinner I could fiddle about for an hour or two making one.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

In 2016, I had the honour to be appointed 'garage boy' to Paul Hogan's TR3S entry at Classic Le Mans.     Even more honour was to be given the task to check the wire wheel spinners at pitstops, for which task I was given a 4lb soft headed hammer and told "Hit it as hard as you can!"   Competition or not, I still think that is the best advice.

John

Good morning,

its unexplainable to me why some of you seem to have real fun by hammering like hell on the wheel hubs and axles….

I never use a hammer on a car for anything, because this is the moment something goes wrong…

Just my opinion, Marco 

He seemed to put a lot more effort into removing the offside spinner then when he replaced it - enforcing the "self tightening" theory.

Bob

This was the first he locked before, getting tired the second one he locked less tight.

:)

With a hammer you have no control on the torque

Edited by Z320

One of the Lotus suppliers has developed these.

Very neat, if a tad pricey at £115

image.thumb.jpeg.ddc9b1e01cf36cad2bcb330eda4541f6.jpeg

Edited by iain
56 minutes ago, iain said:

Looks good + that price is good

Ciao, Marco 

2 hours ago, iain said:

the thing is with the Lotus spinner they are not handed (visually) so easier to design and make 

17 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

Why dos Lotus use a spinner on steel wheels?

John

Perhaps because of their racing heritage? Although the Elan was not a great race car until the development of the 26R.

Very quick to change.

18 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

Why dos Lotus use a spinner on steel wheels?

John

Because they are centre lock wheels. ;):lol:

Stuart.

Yes, to  both. But then fit steels with bolt holes already drilled?

I fear it may be an American influence.     Completely false spinners seems to be popular bling, Other There:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Disc-Brake-Hubcap-w-Spinner-for-GM-Rally-Style-Wheels/929804859

John

15 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

Yes, to  both. But then fit steels with bolt holes already drilled?

I fear it may be an American influence.     Completely false spinners seems to be popular bling, Other There:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Disc-Brake-Hubcap-w-Spinner-for-GM-Rally-Style-Wheels/929804859

John

Nope theyre pins to align the wheel correctly in a hurry as per race spec at the time.

Stuart.

25 minutes ago, stuart said:

Nope theyre pins to align the wheel correctly in a hurry as per race spec at the time.

Stuart.

and by doing so transfer a great deal of the torque, the original Dunlop Alloy knock-ons had a concealed peg drive behind the wheel for the same effect. the repro ones don't (as they fit all sorts of cars now).