I baught a 70s piller drill , I would like to convert it to a floor mounted  piller drill, this would mean changing the coloum.  The coloum is 2.75 in in diameter

Would need to be about 6ft long, chromed, possible an old drill no longer working  but still has the couloum,  would love to purchase this if you have one 

Enclose pics, thanks, pink

20230116_162806.jpg

20230116_163058.jpg

20230116_163116.jpg

20230116_162823.jpg

Nice looking drill.  Can't suggest anywhere to get a pole though.

If you do find one, you should bolt it down securely to the floor, as it will be rather top heavy.

Bob

Hi , Ian,Phil,

Have thought of these ideas, and both ideas would work, however there is nothing like the proper thing,

I thought of using the existing coloum and conecting a tube to it with a coller and welding it, however would it be strong enough 

Could you make it straight enough, it's certainly got the old gray matter going 

Pink

What is the object of the exercise Pink -  Is the idea to get more usable depth between the drill bit and the table (in which case the drill table has to be a good fit on the extended column ) or is it just to free up bench space ?  Why do you want  the column chromed - standard ones are not, they are usually surface ground to size ?  

2 hours ago, pinky said:

Could you make it straight enough, it's certainly got the old gray matter going 

Pink

With a bit of care I would have thought so. Tack it all round before welding it up. And do opposite sides in sequence to avoid distortion. 

Rgds Ian

My garage is very low, 6ft 2ins, this is OK for me as I am a short'e.

So the dill is to high to sit on the bench, could lower the bench, but don't really want to do that, it also sticks out further than 

60 cm work top, so free standing is the answer 

The finish,  I call it chrome but it is something else, it allows the bed and head to move up and down with ease, as it is a very close fit 

Probably honed (is that spelt right )

Dyslexic Pink 

4 hours ago, stillp said:

£500 for 1 meter !  a bit pricey, & very heavy.  a tube would be better

Bob

Hello Pink,

I've got a Fobco Star, the bench mounted version, and it is very solid and "Professional" looking

I spotted this on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266086627634

The pillar is about 2 1/8 inch diameter (not that that is any help to you), but it might be better to sell what you have and buy a complete floor standing drill.

(Problem would be getting it across the water to your workshop.)

Charlie

Edit. Just noticed it's 3 phase... Mine is single, so easy enough to fit a different motor, but more expense.

Also just noticed it says "Fractured Drill Bed Collar - as shown in photo". Maybe not the best buy, but it shows that they do crop up."

Edited by Charlie D
1 hour ago, barkerwilliams said:

I see lots of drills at auction that have failed a PAT test and sell for little more than scrap value. Isnt thare an auction site near you?

Alan

Quite why would a pillar drill require a Portable Appliance Test?  Someone is taking the proverbial. (As in the testing subbie who just pockets the fee). 

Rgds Ian

I baught the drill  on the island  it was from a dealer, , it can be a sufferance living hear

It cost  70 pound return to cross the water in the winter going up to 120 in the summer 

I bet you there are loads of coloums kicking around, patience is the secret

Pink 

Pink,

Consider a lower workbench.   Loads of these online, on ebay.   https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=+workshop+racking&_sacat=12576&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=Steel+workshop+table&_osacat=12576&_sop=15

The shelves are adjustable for height - see the holes in the uprights - so you could decide how high you want to mount your drill.    Any upright above that can be cut off for a clear work space.

A good thick plank  would be fine for the 'shelf' to support the  drill, bolt the stand to the wall with Rawlbolts or similar for stability.

Jiohn

image.png.9954fb10b8579ef7e2e17dd5f6194d37.png

Edited by john.r.davies
16 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

Quite why would a pillar drill require a Portable Appliance Test?

I'm not too sure of the regulations, but I have  a feeling that if it has a plug on the end of a wire that plugs into a socket then it is considered "Portable", as opposed to a hard wired item

I can just about lift my Fabco Star onto the bench. Portable it is not.

33 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

I'm not too sure of the regulations,

The requirement is pretty vague. It merely says that equipment must be kept in a safe condition - there are no detailed regulations as such and there is not even a  law saying you must do portable appliance tests, but if you don't it would be difficult to defend yourself in court should someone be hurt, as how else can you demonstrate best practice.

The phrase used is "portable and transportable " equipment so big things needing a forklift are still covered if they plug in.  Equipment which is permanently wired in is covered by the regulations about installations. Where I worked we had very large transportable thermal chambers which required 63Amp three-phase power, but since they plugged in they were tested. These are the plugs -  they are BIG :

skt.jpg.bf5f79c693086842ee736f3cbbdd8499.jpg

Edited by RobH
typo

If it’s a permanently installed piece of equipment it has to comply with the PUWER requirements and even if a pillar drill has a plug there is no requirement to get it PAT tested. The regulations were introduced to deal with properly portable kit that got a hard life and as an example frequently got picked by the lead. By and large that kind of kit has been superseded by battery powered equipment. 

Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent