By definition PUWER covers ALL work equipment Ian -  mechanical and electrical - including portable and battery powered kit.   (Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations)

Electrical installations must comply with BS 7671 (IET wiring regulations) which defines design and installation requirements and periodic testing.  

There are lots of other regulations too which are pertinent, including the Low Voltage Directive ( low in this instance meaning up to 1000v ac and 1500v dc) implemented in the UK as The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016.

Edited by RobH
21 hours ago, barkerwilliams said:

I see lots of drills at auction that have failed a PAT test and sell for little more than scrap value. Isnt thare an auction site near you?

Alan

Not sure I would want to be using one that has failed a PAT test. Of course I may be using one that would fail a PAT test but I would draw the line at using one that I knew was faulty for sure.

42 minutes ago, FatJon said:

Not sure I would want to be using one that has failed a PAT test. Of course I may be using one that would fail a PAT test but I would draw the line at using one that I knew was faulty for sure.

Usually if an item has failed a PAT it’s because of an earth failure or the cable is damaged. 

Rgds Ian

3 hours ago, RobH said:

By definition PUWER covers ALL work equipment Ian -  mechanical and electrical - including portable and battery powered kit.   (Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations)

Electrical installations must comply with BS 7671 (IET wiring regulations) which defines design and installation requirements and periodic testing.  

There are lots of other regulations too which are pertinent, including the Low Voltage Directive ( low in this instance meaning up to 1000v ac and 1500v dc) implemented in the UK as The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016.

The difference is Rob, that PUWER is a legal obligation, PAT isn’t.

One of my jobs in the past was being responsible for the maintenance of all the equipment in Devonport Royal Dockyard, some 80,000 items. The PAT contractors used to see us as an easy way to make money. 

Rgds Ian

2 minutes ago, Ian Vincent said:

The difference is Rob, that PUWER is a legal obligation, PAT isn’t.

(apologies to all for the thread drift)

I don't disagree with that Ian as my previous post said.  I was  just pointing out that PUWER is over-arching legislation applicable to all work equipment, not specific to electricity.  It is not technically detailed but deals more in general requirements. The detailed technical aspects are covered in other subsidiary regulations like BS 7671. 

One of my roles was as a Senior Authorised Person responsible for the electrical safety of personnel, design, installation and use of experimental equipment in a large organisation and covering everything from battery powered tools up to vast pulsed-power machines generating around a megavolt.  If anyone had been hurt as a result of negligence it would have been me answering to the judge, so I had to be familiar with all the applicable legislative requirements and make sure they were properly observed. 

PAT was only a minor part of that but I am well aware that it is an easy route to making money.  On several occasions I had reason to query the thoroughness of testing carried out by contractors, who had to answer some awkward questions....... B)