Best place to install a speaker in a TR4

Hi All,

Whilst I always enjoy the exhaust note and the rumble of the engine in our “4”, I am beginning to miss the jams. I was thinking of rigging up something to be able to install a Bluetooth speaker on the top of the gear box tunnel. Have any of you installed a speaker in your TR and where have you found the best place to put it? Ideally, I would have thought you’d want it in the middle of the dash where the gauges are or perhaps either side of the wind screen pointing in. But I don’t want to cover up my view or use of the gauges/switches on the dash and putting them on top of the dash also doesn’t seem like a good idea. There is obviously, the footwells, but in my experience, you don’t get the best sound from that position.

Thanks in advance!

Adam

1 minute ago, DOG_MORGAN said:

On my tr6 got 2 big speakers in the bulkhead on magnet nice and solid sounds good 

Thanks, do you have a picture? 

Hi Adam,

I did not want to put holes in the door or rear bulk head trim panels, so I made a speaker box to go the full width behind the driver and passenger seats, flush with the rear 'seat' and then carpeted it to match.  I had to fit slim recatngular speakers to fit in the space but it seems to give a decent sound as the box helps with the bass and the sound is close to us.  Our rear surrey screen also helps keep the sound in the cabin.

The downside is not being able to push the seats any further back if anyone else needs to, and losing that extra bit of storage space.

Mark

On 1/8/2023 at 4:46 PM, The_Doc said:

Hi All,

Whilst I always enjoy the exhaust note and the rumble of the engine in our “4”, I am beginning to miss the jams. I was thinking of rigging up something to be able to install a Bluetooth speaker on the top of the gear box tunnel. Have any of you installed a speaker in your TR and where have you found the best place to put it? Ideally, I would have thought you’d want it in the middle of the dash where the gauges are or perhaps either side of the wind screen pointing in. But I don’t want to cover up my view or use of the gauges/switches on the dash and putting them on top of the dash also doesn’t seem like a good idea. There is obviously, the footwells, but in my experience, you don’t get the best sound from that position.

Thanks in advance!

Adam

Hi Adam,

I know it's not a blue tooth speaker but I have mine on top of the prop tunnel in between the seats,

The speaker is fitted in a period speaker box.

Cheers

Dave.

lam539.JPG

I just use a portable Bluetooth speaker - strapped to the h-frame with a Velcro strap and removed/placed-in-boot when parked up

……. Andy

+ 2 Yes I just use a bluetooth rechargeable speaker.  The PO did install a 12v socket, so I just use a two port USB adapter and plug both my speaker and phone in.  I do have a period motorola radio installed in the car, but it's not connected to anything, just there to fill the hole!

Edited by Colin Symonds
  • 2 months later...

I am considering for when it is just me getting an Anker Soundcore 3, and adding velcro so I can affix to the parcel shelf of our TR-6 between our 2 seats. I'm not sure if that would give enough sound for when I'm out alone to be worth it? Curious if others have gone the same way?

Edited by Steve-B
  • 2 weeks later...

I made two bespoke speaker boxes that are shaped to exactly fit the curved shape of the back area.  I used easily disconnected banana plug connectors so if I want to have a child or dog in the back or I park where I should hide the speakers I can disconnect and put them in the boot quickly.

I will admit, they looked better when the rest of the interior was not installed.  As the seats and frame covers went in that space was eaten up fast.  With a 100 W per channel old school equalizer amp (like I had in college in my MG midget), suffice to say it is plenty loud.  I may revert to a single bluetooth speaker, however, as the bulk of those speakers may be a bit much.

By the way, as of yesterday I got my car road legal.  The state safety inspector came to my house and gave my car the inspection and I went to the local DMV office to get my tags (and give them $300).  Anyway, now I can legally drive on the highways.

speaker.jpg

speaker2.jpg

Edited by RMP NC
8 hours ago, RMP NC said:

I made two bespoke speaker boxes that are shaped to exactly fit the curved shape of the back area.  I used easily disconnected banana plug connectors so if I want to have a child or dog in the back or I park where I should hide the speakers I can disconnect and put them in the boot quickly.

I will admit, they looked better when the rest of the interior was not installed.  As the seats and frame covers went in that space was eaten up fast.  With a 100 W per channel old school equalizer amp (like I had in college in my MG midget), suffice to say it is plenty loud.  I may revert to a single bluetooth speaker, however, as the bulk of those speakers may be a bit much.

By the way, as of yesterday I got my car road legal.  The state safety inspector came to my house and gave my car the inspection and I went to the local DMV office to get my tags (and give them $300).  Anyway, now I can legally drive on the highways.

speaker.jpg

speaker2.jpg

Good news on the vehicle inspection 

Now get out there and enjoy the car.

17 hours ago, RMP NC said:

I made two bespoke speaker boxes that are shaped to exactly fit the curved shape of the back area.  

speaker.jpg

speaker2.jpg

I hope everyone for a quarter of a mile around you likes your choice of music :D

Ralph

• 3 weeks later...

Jean-Marie - I would love to see that mounted in your car.   I have a TR4 and am not sure how the dash brace is different but I had thought about doing something similar.  I see you have used the extra space to put some switches and maybe that's a Aux power on the right side, can't tell.  I'd like to see/learn more about your approach.  I like it for sure.

Dear Russell,

The H-frames of the TR4 and the TR4A are different. At the moment, the panels are not in the car because the overdrive wiring has to be adapted and the gearbox tunnel is removed. So after everything is mounted again in a couple of days or at latest begin next week pictures can be made how it looks in the car. In the left panel there is a switch for the cooling fan, a switch with associated signalling lamp for the fog reverse light. In the right panel there is a device with power supply via a rond sigaret plug for the navigation system Garmin and 2 USB-A type connectors for mobile devices.

Probably, you can build a similar system in a TR4, be aware that the loudspeaker may not be too big while there is not that much room between the panels and the gearbox tunnel. You find anyhow a drawing with the dimensions of the panels and the treaded rod of my configuration. Ones the panels are mounted again in the car, you receive picture of the installation.

Jean-Marie

Panel Loudspeakers TR4A.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

I have upgraded round speakers in the MX5 seats with a Retrosound radio which has a jack to connect to iPhone in the 4A via Bluetooth.  Still a bit of a challenge to hear over the wind noise at 100 - 110kph. We much prefer the MX5 seats for comfort, headrests and easy access to the space behind the seats. The advantage of headrest speakers is not having to cut holes in the car or restrict the space behind the seats.