19 minutes ago, keith stone said:

Where is best place to get a TR5 windscreen and get it fitted. Is a TR6 screen the same.

Screens are all the same TR4/4a/5/6 available from Moss/TR Shop etc also probably through any of the Autowindscreen dealers too. Whereabouts are you so we can recommend somewhere for fitting.

Stuart.

Moss Bradford or Moss Manchester. Collect it yourself as the delivery box costs as much as the windscreen!

Autoglass? or if its cracked your car insurance? 

Just my experience of trying to fit a screen to a TR6. 

I initially purchased a Pilkington screen from  Moss and it was impossible to fit into the top corners no matter how we tried. Compared to the old screen it was a slightly different profile. In the end I took it back and bought one from a Chinese company for around £80. Using the same screen rubber it went straight in, in under 20 minutes between two of us. 

Others have had no issues and maybe I was  just unlucky. 

Rubber/trim was from the TRshop.

Andy

Thanks guys, even more options. I have dealt with TR Bitx and they were excellent. Also I forgot david manners did triumph spares. I dealt with them when I had an sp250 and they also were excellent. More calls in the new year. Really appreciate the tips. Being an arch cynic I wonder Pilkington aside whether all these screens come from the same original source :rolleyes:

Years ago I installed a screen in a TR4 with the help of a friend who was a retired mechanic. Did the string thing but it just didn’t want to go the last couple of mm. No problem he says, goes inside gets a large rubber mallet and starts wacking the glass, I think it’s a good thing I am wearing brown underwear, to my surprise it just popped in,  Old school mechanic!

16 hours ago, Kiwifrog said:

Years ago I installed a screen in a TR4 with the help of a friend who was a retired mechanic. Did the string thing but it just didn’t want to go the last couple of mm. No problem he says, goes inside gets a large rubber mallet and starts wacking the glass, I think it’s a good thing I am wearing brown underwear, to my surprise it just popped in,  Old school mechanic!

That was fairly standard practice back in the days of "Toughened" windscreens as they will take a fair bit of bending around without any problem, however the newer laminated screens (especially the current crop of cheap repros) wont take any bending at all and will crack like a damn.

Stuart.

16 hours ago, Kiwifrog said:

I did the same and it snapped - aaaarrrggghhh

Roger

+1 for the cracked windscreen. Very easy to do.

Edited by elclem1

I had a new windscreen seal fitted to my PI Saloon a couple of weeks ago, much harder than a TR screen to fit, it was fitted by James Godfrey-Dunne, he trades as JGD Classic Services and you can find him via Facebook, or PM me for his number. James uses premises adjacent to Canley Classics near Coventry, they can supply TR windscreens and seals, they are well used to fitting screens in Spitfires & GT6s, the same screens as TRs.