Fuel Additive

Unless your going to be driving it hard don’t bother, you might find going for Super unleaded is preferable.

Stuart

5 hours ago, stuart said:

Unless your going to be driving it hard don’t bother, you might find going for Super unleaded is preferable.

Stuart

No, I don't use any fuel additive. 99 octane E5 works fine in my TR6 and GT6. Tesco Momentum is the cheapest, Shell V-Power and Esso super unleaded also good, and in some areas the Esso 99 octane is alcohol free.

Nigel

1 hour ago, Swscar said:

I didn’t phrase this question properly. I meant a fuel conditioner for over the winter. 

I also use the Briggs & Stratton stuff - readily available from the local garden machinery shop - but I also try not to have much fuel in the tank if the car isn't going to be used for some time. 

Over here some use “Aspen” which is an Alkylate (special petrol component made in an alkylation unit on refineries). It is expensive (like 4 euro/liter), but if you only need 40 liters and do not need the additive, it is a viable option.

Not sure if Aspen is also sold in the UK, but I’m sure there will be an equivalent (for lawnmowers etc).

Waldi

There’s 4* in our village so when the time comes should I just bang in 2-4 litres, run the engine to temp then just switch it off?

i have just put 20 ltr of 102 octaine in my 5.   Bad news is it's running really well.  Loves it.

Left over from a race meeting but at £5.40 ltr plus vat plus delivery ,i won't be using it often .

Roy

12 hours ago, Steve-B said:

There’s 4* in our village so when the time comes should I just bang in 2-4 litres, run the engine to temp then just switch it off?

I didn`t know you could still get it, there was one garage in my area that sold it ten years ago, but when the garage closed that was it and I have never seen it since anywhere on my travels. I use Esso 99 octane which in my area doesn`t have Ethanol as far as I know, but I am also using Valvemaster lead additive which now also contains an Ethanol stabiliser to prevent acid formation.

Ralph

Regardless of ethanol levels, fuel will degrade over time. Higher grades without ethanol will give less corrosion, but fuel degradation remains.

Waldi

1 hour ago, Waldi said:

Regardless of ethanol levels, fuel will degrade over time. Higher grades without ethanol will give less corrosion, but fuel degradation remains.

Waldi

I use Stabil for winter storage and it works well. But I avoid alcohol fuels like the plague.

I only use BP Momentum my car runs well on it. Someone in the know said that it contained no more than 3% ethanol 

We ran all types of fuel on the round Britain. Little choice as the fuel crisis was in full swing. Noticed no real difference and overwintering with this random mixture of fuel. No extra residue in the filter and fired up fine. 

Just an observation. 

Tim