Bespoke bag for Surrey soft top and frame?

Can anyone tell me of a possible source for a bag in canvas or some similarly tough material suitable for carrying a Surrey soft top and frame in the boot of my car? I'm fed up with using a tatty plastic bag and would like something smarter. I have never seen such a thing advertised by any of the usual suspects and suppose I may have to have something made to my design.

Tim

For off the shelf perhaps a tonneau bag from a MGB would do for the soft fabric - item 69 here.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/mg/mgb-c-v8/weather-equipment/hoods-hood-frames-fittings/hood-frame-tonneau-mgb-mgb-gt-1962-80.html

For the frame something specially made perhaps in Hardura would probably be required.  Ask John Skinner as they offer a bespoke service, and do understand what a TR looks like.

https://john-skinner.co.uk/bespoke/

Peter W

Thanks to all for the suggestions, which I will progressively sift through. As  a matter of interest Nigel does the Freelander roof rails bag take both the Surrey top and its frame?

Tim

When I bought my car it came with a brand new Coventry Hoods and Tourneau surrey top in what appears to be a matching bag which also has a compartment for the frame.  I can't say whether they also made the bag though as it doesn't have their label, might be worth giving them a call though.

I leave the hard top on over winter and just carry the Surrey in the boot in summer just in case, but have never actually put it on the car!

Thanks Colin. I spoke to Coventry Hood and Tonneau and am advised they have never made such a bag. The PO must have obtained the bag you mention from another source or perhaps made it themselves. A pity, that would have been a good solution, I particularly like the idea of a separate compartment for the frame.

16 hours ago, tim hunt said:

Can anyone tell me of a possible source for a bag in canvas or some similarly tough material suitable for carrying a Surrey soft top and frame in the boot of my car? I'm fed up with using a tatty plastic bag and would like something smarter. I have never seen such a thing advertised by any of the usual suspects and suppose I may have to have something made to my design.

Tim

Hi Tim,

In a previous life I flew hot-air balloons & we used to have bags for the nylon poles that hold up the burner above the basket. I do not need to go into huge detail but they are perfect for our Surreys etc. in size & material. I have used one for years. Contact Pete on 01488 681527 or zebedeelist.co.uk. If he does not have an old one in stock he can make one for around £50. I have never found anything better.

Contact Jim

I’m sure he could knock one up for you. With his new found talents. 

• 2 weeks later...

Result! I ordered a 'Ducksback' awning pole bag for £11.95 through Amazon (see link).  I also attach a picture showing the actual bag laid on the boot of the 4A. The overall dimensions are 1330 x 410mm, the length is just right for the Surrey top and its frame. The width is over generous but it fits in the boot fine and I cannot be bothered to unpick the bag and and re-stitch. The bag is claimed to be water resistant and seems very tough although I will always fit two short lengths of 1/2" heater hose over the extremities of the frame to protect the inside of the bag.

I am very happy with my purchase and consider it a good solution at a fair price. I am just wondering why I didn't look for something similar fifty years ago!!

Tim

IMG_1409.JPG

Ducksback awning pole bag.htm