Cream Tea Row goes national

And on this mornings “Today” program 

remember we had the debate ages ago.  Seems Sainsbury’s took heed of our discussion and went with the correct route of fruit scone then cream then jam on top.

1 hour ago, Hamish said:

And on this mornings “Today” program 

remember we had the debate ages ago.  Seems Sainsbury’s took heed of our discussion and went with the correct route of fruit scone then cream then jam on top.

And they still screwed up as it shouldnt be a fruit scone!

Stuart.

Nah

go with the fruit scone. It covers one of your five a day painlessly. 

2 hours ago, Hamish said:

Nah

go with the fruit scone. It covers one of your five a day painlessly. 

Not traditional Hamish, mind you, from the man from Nutella it probably acceptable, and as it goes more healthy.

Edited by Misfit
2 hours ago, Misfit said:

Not traditional Hamish, mind you, from the man from Nutella it probably acceptable, and as it goes more healthy.

like many of our cars -  -  let originality slide and make it suit yourself and practicality- enjoy what you like.

and i am pleased that the Nutella cream tea has left its indelible mark on some :lol:

Where is this "Cornwall" place, is it important ? I have heard of a Duchess of Cornwall so it must be somewhere, but surely not part of civilised society if all they  eat is scones and pasties. And they have, I'm told, forgotten how to speak their language, how careless. Muted by mouthfulls of goo ?

Every year I take a short holiday at a splendid hotel overlooking the sea, near Truro in Cornwall. They serve a magnificent afternoon tea - and get this controversy absolutely right. Every day they provide a heaped plate of scones, a large pot of clotted cream, and two pots of jam (one Strawberry, one of Raspberry). After this it is up to greedy sods like me to make my own 'what goes on first' decisions.... 

44 minutes ago, Peter Cobbold said:

Where is this "Cornwall" place, is it important ? I have heard of a Duchess of Cornwall so it must be somewhere, but surely not part of civilised society if all they  eat is scones and pasties. And they have, I'm told, forgotten how to speak their language, how careless. Muted by mouthfulls of goo ?

You forgot to mention the excellent Cornish Lobsters, food of the Gods, soul food.

Edited by SuzanneH
3 minutes ago, stillp said:

In the sea, more likely.

Great work done in Cornwall 

https://www.nationallobsterhatchery.co.uk

but then something had to be done - good eating sized lobster has taken years if not many decades to grow.

16 minutes ago, Hamish said:

good eating

I'll take your word for that, I'm not a fan of lobster. I agree though, the 'edible' ones are several decades old - I believe some have been found to be well over a century old.

Pete

29 minutes ago, stillp said:

I'll take your word for that, I'm not a fan of lobster. I agree though, the 'edible' ones are several decades old - I believe some have been found to be well over a century old.

Pete

Perhaps I should have said a legal size for eating as I am with you, better in the sea than on the plate. 

Well, I will just leave this here:

You cannot compare a Lobster from anywhere else in the world to a Fresh Cornish Lobster.

You should try my recipe for Lobster Newburgh, copied from a Scottish Chef working in Marhamchurch,Cornwall back in about 1973. Very simple cheese sauce, plenty of Brandy in the cheese sauce and lobster meat.

Edited by SuzanneH
15 minutes ago, SuzanneH said:

Well, I will just leave this here:

You cannot compare a Lobster from anywhere else in the world to a Fresh Cornish Lobster.

You should try my recipe for Lobster Newburgh, copied from a Scottish Chef working in Marhamchurch,Cornwall back in about 1973. Very simple cheese sauce, plenty of Brandy and lobster meat.

Clearly I must try this if I'm ever allowed to travel freely to the UK again... :(

Lobsters here are from our east coast; PEI and Nove Scotia.  My personal favourite is buying them direct from the lobster boats and eating them entirely by hand :) 

DSC_0547_small.jpg

DSC_0559_small.jpg

14 minutes ago, TorontoTim said:

Clearly I must try this if I'm ever allowed to travel freely to the UK again... :(

Lobsters here are from our east coast; PEI and Nove Scotia.  My personal favourite is buying them direct from the lobster boats and eating them entirely by hand :) 

DSC_0547_small.jpg

DSC_0559_small.jpg

They look wonderful Tim, I have to confess I have never tried a Canadian Lobster in Canada ( M& S sell tiny Canadian ones here) why they don’t sell our own leaves me cold.

I have had Maine Lobster on Newport Beach California which wasn’t as great as cracked up to be.

Antiguan Lobsters, that have no claws, are good too but come from The North Atlantic Coast of Antigua which must make all the difference.

I find Scottish and Welsh lobsters although good are not as good as the Cornish ones.

Your Canadian ones look fab.

Edited by SuzanneH

For me, Welsh cakes, and bara brith. the latter well buttered.  

Am not happy with plundering the sea for food, but neither am I wiling to avoid fish. We are told that farming animals makes a large and important contribution to GHGs and CC and that we all need to become veggies. In that  case the attraction of a diet of scones and cakes may then pall, especially without diary products to embellish.

Peter

I heard a discussion on the radio between a vegan and a dairy farmer a while ago. The farmer made a very good point when he said that cattle are very good at turning stuff we humans can't digest into stuff that we can.

Pete