What’s in your garden.

The wood was clear-felled in 1944 but is much older, the steep slope hindering agriculture. Sheep dont eat bluebells but their trampling kills the bulbs. Wood anemones are supposed to spread very slowly indeed so are taken as an indicator ancient woodland. They may not spread by seed but vegetative spread is fast: the track was levelled with a digger about 7 years ago and the anenomes have recovered quickly.

9 hours ago, 2long said:

Here’s a little video of my Pomegranate tree and some birdie songs.  
Cheers

Dan

Lovely. I’ve got a Pomegranate tree, when it has some flowers I will post a photo of them, I’m not expecting any fruit though. Yours are lovely Dan and the bird song is beautiful.

Very nice Charlie. Sadly our Blue Tits that were feeding young have abandoned. Just a few days ago both parents were back and forth all the time. Yesterday just one was apparent and that was just looking in and flying off. I wonder if one of the pair has been taken by a cat or other predator. I'll open up the nest box in a day or two when I'm certain all activity has ceased.

We had  boxful of blue tits once, nine chick's.  But one by one they all  died!  The parents took each body out and disposed of it, to no avail.  My wife was most distressed, as I had arranged a nest camp and we could watch every dreadful moment.

John

3 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

We had  boxful of blue tits once, nine chick's.  But one by one they all  died!  The parents took each body out and disposed of it, to no avail.  My wife was most distressed, as I had arranged a nest camp and we could watch every dreadful moment.

John

Red in tooth and claw.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Every Spring I get visited by Mr.& Mrs.Duck, and they are back. 

181474661_theDuckscometovisit.thumb.jpg.ef26d1be91290fae785bceaa9fcffe6e.jpg

And most incautious, as you can see! Mrs. is almost tame, although I've never persuaded her to take food from my hand. They explored my garage while I worked.  Mr. keeps up a quite quacking as if he's warning her, "He's not safe!  Don't go so near!"

They expect a handful of birdseed and a drink and then go away, to return later for another.  I presume they have a nest nearby, but they have never brought ducklings into the garden.

JOhn

Ha, yes Rob…. We came round the corner to see him loitering at the back door, story was that the local Castle (real Castle but a rich man’s folly with no historical significance) had been ordered to dispose’ of them due to the noise but "let them escape instead "…. And this character chose to move into our friends garden… Apparently, he’s only noisy when he’s trying to impress the girls?!