New Coil position now done.

I hope that this is a resin-filled coil as an oil-filled coil might suffer local overheating if some of the windings at the upper part of the can become partly exposed in the horizontal position.

This has been explained in another Forum topic: "Coil Position".

Ian Cornish

Edited by ianc

FWIW The steel ones that are anything over 1/4" UNF are very difficult to pull tight, I use aluminium ones for a variety of things and they are perfectly adequate and pull up nice and tight.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, ianc said:

I hope that this is a resin-filled coil as an oil-filled coil might suffer local overheating if some of the windings at the upper part of the can become partly exposed in the horizontal position.

This has been explained in another Forum topic: "Coil Position".

Ian Cornish

Ian, how would I tell the difference? there are no coil markings visible.

2 minutes ago, pfenlon said:

Ian, how would I tell the difference? there are no coil markings visible.

Hi Pete,

the oil filling is nigh on 100% if there is an air bubble it will be very small - don;t panic. Mine has been in place for 3 years (30,000 miles apprx)

1 hour ago, stuart said:

FWIW The steel ones that are anything over 1/4" UNF are very difficult to pull tight, I use aluminium ones for a variety of things and they are perfectly adequate and pull up nice and tight.

Stuart.

+1 - I tried pulling down a 6mm Stainless rivnut with the basic pliers.

I had to cobble together a G clamp and other bits strapped across the handle of the pliers to get it to collapse.  They are seriously tough.

Roger

3 hours ago, pfenlon said:

how would I tell the difference? there are no coil markings visible.

Shake it. If its oil filled you will hear the liquid. There is always an air bubble to allow for expansion when hot.

Roger is right though - it should be nearly full and probably won't care at all about being horizontal.  Unless you coil was specifically provided with instructions from the maker not to do so, and even though the internet is full of advice, I believe this is mainly just myth and that it will be fine.

The coil is wound with the lower voltage primary winding on the outside and is spaced from the can wall - you can see below the diameter is a fair bit smaller than the can. There is plenty of room for a small bubble in the gap and the winding should still remain submerged and in any case, the oil will be sloshing around as you drive. 

3465287370_689d5ed082_b.jpg.1fd5faa1a9dbdb7e33516c489b996f6a.jpg

Edited by RobH
4 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Pete,

the oil filling is nigh on 100% if there is an air bubble it will be very small - don;t panic. Mine has been in place for 3 years (30,000 miles apprx)

+1 - I tried pulling down a 6mm Stainless rivnut with the basic pliers.

I had to cobble together a G clamp and other bits strapped across the handle of the pliers to get it to collapse.  They are seriously tough.

Roger

Hi Roger

When I fitted rivnuts to the rear deck I’m sure I used a nut/bolt and spacers to pull directly through them in order to compress them. 

Kevin

14 minutes ago, boxofbits said:

Hi Roger

When I fitted rivnuts to the rear deck I’m sure I used a nut/bolt and spacers to pull directly through them in order to compress them. 

Kevin

Yes, I've done that also.  Is there a pneumatic puller?

Roger

58 minutes ago, boxofbits said:

Hi Roger

Kevin

I did the same (used a nut and bolt) when I fitted them to my engine mounting brackets recently.  There is no way that they are going to move.

Rgds Ian

Hi Waldi,

thanks for that. I decided to google what is out there. 

Somewhere between £70 - £150.  Quite a few but they look iffy.

Some very nice ones made by Avdel for....................................wait for it................................................. £1500 (fifteen HUNDRED pounds)

Obviously professional aerospace.

Roger

When I did the Riv-nuts in the floor for the gearbox tunnel on my TR3 I made up a tool using an angle grinder spanner and some washers, nuts and a bolt. It worked OK for the few nuts that I had to fit and I couldn't justify the cost of a reasonable AF sized tool 

George 

17 hours ago, Waldi said:

Thanks Waldi but I suspect it would struggle with steel ones, even M10 aluminium would be a pinch I should say.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

It states it can do M10, I guess that’s for aluminium, not CS.
The company, HBM is know for relatively cheap but good products. They do direct import themselves.

I have ordered many items from them, most are good for our hobby. I assume you may want something more “upmarket”

Stay safe.
Waldi

On 2/26/2021 at 9:23 AM, RogerH said:

I bought a bag of ten 5/16" unf rivnuts from memast just a few weeks ago. Ver y helpful over the phone and next day delivery. I wanted to fit one to my new CTM TR5 chassis in the rear diff bridge for an additional exhaust hanger. Couldn't just drill a hole and fix a bolt and nut through because CTM had boxed in this originally  flimsy U shaped section with a bottom plate for extra stiffness.

I installed it succesfully with a nut and long set screw, 1 spanner and a socket to pull it up.

Dave McD