Seeing Rods Top Tip, today on our forum, has resurrected a thought I

had a while ago.

I can well remember 50 odd years ago, buying practical Motorist, which each month had a 'Tip' section, where

readers wrote in with 'Their' tips, I remember one chap who had an A40, and the triangle missed by the demister blow

had irritated him, so he used some drilled copper pipe popped in either end on the vents, to clear said section.

Anyone else, like me, used to look for these tips, and for today, would a 'Top Tip' Scetion on our forum be of benefit,

- Just Asking?

John.

3 hours ago, Tony_C said:

Don’t eat yellow snow..........:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

When cooking on an open fire coat the outside of billy cans with Fairy Snow washing up liquid.

It will help the black carbon to come off.

Roger

All very helpful gents, but, if I'm honest, not quite what John was looking for.

He was, I believe looking for more hands on tips,  e.g.

Don't eat, smoke and drink at the same time, you are likely to choke 

Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back

Use The Metal Part Of Your Seat Belt To Open Beers While Driving

No GPS?  Use a compass, you'll always find a place you know.

5 hours ago, John Morrison said:

For today, would a 'Top Tip' Scetion on our forum be of benefit. Just Asking?

+1 :) a straight question: YES or NO? My answer is YES

1 hour ago, boxofbits said:

We could have a Tip section John , and then perhaps to look for the best one we we could have a filter, so it would be a filter tip..no hang on...no forget that....

But in all honesty, not a bad idea John. I'd say yes.

Wicked 

6 hours ago, RogerH said:

When cooking on an open fire coat the outside of billy cans with Fairy Snow washing up liquid.

It will help the black carbon to come off.

Roger

I remember as a cub scout I was asked to do this simple task, but I got the mixture to runny ,,so I decided to wash the pans in the stream that ran between the tents in the camp site near Grasmere ,the valley was later full of soap bubbles blowing in the wind. to the horror on skips face. :o

11 hours ago, John Morrison said:

would a 'Top Tip' Scetion on our forum be of benefit,

- Just Asking?

John.

Seriously +1

Anything that allows the forum an area where neat ideas are located has to be worth a go.

9 hours ago, wjgco said:

Seriously +1

Anything that allows the forum an area where neat ideas are located has to be worth a go.

Hi John,

is it possible, in order to make the Top Tip thread sensible, for a Moderator to take it under his wing and remove any posts that not actually Top Tips.

I did this with Menno's first post regarding 4 pot engines getting hot.

No need for it to be locked but keep the TT and delete the why's and where for's.

So you end up with an endless list of TT's

Roger

2 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi John,

is it possible, in order to make the Top Tip thread sensible, for a Moderator to take it under his wing and remove any posts that not actually Top Tips.

No need for it to be locked but keep the TT and delete the why's and where for's.

Roger

Seems sensible.

It wouldn't be a lot of work.

Non sensible tips would dry up, once it became clear that they are being culled

28 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Actually I'm not sure that is a good thing. The problem is searchability - it's fine for those who read and remember the tip when first posted but a bit of a nightmare thereafter as you would have to scroll through reams of posts in the hope of stumbling upon something useful. You can't search for it because you don't know what you are looking for.......

Which ever way this pans out... as you can all (only) imagine... I’m immensely proud and excited that my original top tip is and will always remain the actual top tip on this thread...

Here’s another gem, with some credit to Sue,......... If you like to eat scones 

1. put some jam and cream on.... or, alternatively 
  2. put some cream and jam on
On 8/18/2020 at 8:38 AM, RogerH said:

Hi John,

Roger

I'm all for keeping TT, and Top Tips

TT