New 1962, whoops, 1960 TR3 A Owner

Most people end up with parts left over, I, on the other hand, like to outdo everyone.  I have wires left over.  :lol:

I am stuck.  LHD car, right hand side of the harness to the lights, I have separated out the headlight wires and the indicator/running light wires.

1) Horn

2) ?

3) ?

4) ?

1881619793_FLHarness.png.7bebeaa566d6109d126d315879c7452a.png

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plus 1 on David Tushingham Cheftush. nice guy who's has done some restorations of seriously decayed TR's. In Ontario and knows a lot about the cars, can put you onto "Yank" terminology and also s

David, if you have registered and can log on to the members only part of the site you can access workshop manuals etc from there and should be able to find a wiring diagram. The horn button simply ear

Hi David, Nice car, pretty sure that there must be more TR owners in your area. Enjoy the TR! Yves

Posted Images

Someone will no doubt be along to confirm this, but when I re did my loom I found that some wires were duplicated so that one loom worked for both left and right hand drive, and your wires could be the "spares" for the right hand drive steering column wiring. Are they in that general area ?

Ralph.

Ralph has got it.

Those are spare connections intended for a RHD car. The green/brown goes nowhere and needs to be insulated by pushing it in a bullet sleeve on its own. If 3 and 4 are both green/red they should be connected together I think as that links the indicators front to rear.

My RHD car has similar on the left side but there it is two green/white wires instead of green/red of course. 

7 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Someone will no doubt be along to confirm this, but when I re did my loom I found that some wires were duplicated so that one loom worked for both left and right hand drive, and your wires could be the "spares" for the right hand drive steering column wiring. Are they in that general area ?

Ralph.

6 hours ago, Lebro said:

What colours are the wires ?

Bob

4 hours ago, RobH said:

Ralph has got it.

Those are spare connections intended for a RHD car. The green/brown goes nowhere and needs to be insulated by pushing it in a bullet sleeve on its own. If 3 and 4 are both green/red they should be connected together I think as that links the indicators front to rear.

My RHD car has similar on the left side but there it is two green/white wires instead of green/red of course. 

Thank you all.  I'll have to look again this evening to make sure I haven't connected a green/red where a green brown should go.

2) Green/brown

3) Green/red

4) Green/brown

Trying to get my head around what the the differences would be if you swap sides....I think I am misleading you with what I said above David, sorry. There does seem to be only one green/red and two green/browns on the RHS. 

The green/red needs to be insulated (that would be the connection from the control head on a RHD car ).  The two green/browns may have to be connected together to loop the flasher unit output over to the LHS.  

34 minutes ago, RobH said:

Trying to get my head around what the the differences would be if you swap sides....I think I am misleading you with what I said above David, sorry. There does seem to be only one green/red and two green/browns on the RHS. 

The green/red needs to be insulated (that would be the connection from the control head on a RHD car ).  The two green/browns may have to be connected together to loop the flasher unit output over to the LHS.  

Thank you.  I spent about 3 hours trying to figure out what they connected to prior to asking.  :lol:

On 5/13/2021 at 1:32 AM, Ralph Whitaker said:

Ralph.

Ralph did yo do what Rob suggested with the wires?

5 hours ago, David Owen said:

Ralph did yo do what Rob suggested with the wires?

I had my loom stripped apart to renew the outer covering and removed the spare wires completely. Must admit I was a little confused when I found them until I realised what the factory had done and why.

Ralph

4 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I had my loom stripped apart to renew the outer covering and removed the spare wires completely. Must admit I was a little confused when I found them until I realised what the factory had done and why.

Ralph

So it isn't necessary to loop the two green.brown wires?  Just insulate the ends?

To be sure on that do a continuity check David from the green/brown wire at the flasher unit to the green/brown feed to the control head on the LHS.  If there is no connection try joining those two wires together on the RHS and re-check.  There would seem to be no reason to have two wires there except to act as a link from RHS to LHS, as the only place that wire goes is to the control head.  

7 minutes ago, RobH said:

To be sure on that do a continuity check David from the green/brown wire at the flasher unit to the green/brown feed to the control head on the LHS.  If there is no connection try joining those two wires together on the RHS and re-check.  There would seem to be no reason to have two wires there except to act as a link from RHS to LHS, as the only place that wire goes is to the control head.  

Will do.  Thanks Rob.

David, have attached a PDF of the wiring diagram. It is for a RHD car, but it shows 3 green and brown wires connected together on the right hand side of the car. 

One is from the Flasher unit, another runs up the column to the indicator switch, and the third goes all the way through the loom to the left hand side where in just ends in a connector without being connected to anything.

This third wire would be the supply from the flasher unit to the LHD indicator switch.

As your car is LHD you obviously need this supply so I would suggest that the two green and browns you have "spare" should be connected together to give you continuity from the flasher unit to the control head on the steering wheel.

The green and red is L/H indicators, and on a right hand drive car would take the feed from the wires at the bottom of the column across to the left hand side. On your car the feed down from the column switch is already on the left hand side, so this wire is redundant and can either be taped up, or pushed into a bullet connector to insulate it.

Hope this helps,

and remember, red to red, black to black, and blew to bits:D

Ralph

IMG_20210516_0002.pdf

3 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

David, have attached a PDF of the wiring diagram. It is for a RHD car, but it shows 3 green and brown wires connected together on the right hand side of the car. 

One is from the Flasher unit, another runs up the column to the indicator switch, and the third goes all the way through the loom to the left hand side where in just ends in a connector without being connected to anything.

This third wire would be the supply from the flasher unit to the LHD indicator switch.

As your car is LHD you obviously need this supply so I would suggest that the two green and browns you have "spare" should be connected together to give you continuity from the flasher unit to the control head on the steering wheel.

The green and red is L/H indicators, and on a right hand drive car would take the feed from the wires at the bottom of the column across to the left hand side. On your car the feed down from the column switch is already on the left hand side, so this wire is redundant and can either be taped up, or pushed into a bullet connector to insulate it.

Hope this helps,

and remember, red to red, black to black, and blew to bits:D

Ralph

IMG_20210516_0002.pdf 705.18 kB · 2 downloads

Thank you Ralph.  Much appreciated!

My Pleasure.

Although both senders will work with the gauge, I calibrated it using the top one in the above picture.

Re the rev counters, the one with the one piece clamp seemed steadier,

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Well.....decided to test the wiring last night.  Installed the battery and with great trepidation connected it.  No smoke or flames.  Sigh of relief.

Next step, turn the ignition......the horns went off.  My wife thought this was hilarious.  So did I at first but after 2 minutes of her laughing uncontrollably and looking like she may asphyxiate herself I started to wonder if I would make the effort to resuscitate her if she did.  Luckily I didn't have to make the decision.

On the upside the lights work, 1 dash light works, the engine turns over when the starter is pressed and the right rear indicator works.

Other than that, more work is needed.  :lol: